Elderly Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elderly Parents

Should we put our elderly parents who require daily monitoring due to illness, and Dementia in Retirement communties?

[This message has been edited by Rubiya Nur (edited July 30, 2000).]

Comment

Rubiya Jee Salam:

Thanks for the update. Yes, I read people response on Jack Handy post. Wow!! Since I run Nursing home facility this issue is very close to my heart. I am very sensative of both side of the issue. As a administrator I deal with this issue with everyday and believe me it has nothing to do with disrespect, dishonor, but comes down to what is the best option for everyone involve but most of all what is best for the prospective resident. Please do not confuse healthy smiling elders with those with who are unable to take care of themself, and have lost all abilities for ADL. Often we don't want to think about this issue cause it hurts and make us guilty. I invite you all to visit my facility in 1999 and see how we take care of our resident. Anyway thanks. Jack handy thank you for bringing this issue up front. I can use this information on my PHD.

Comment

'

[This message has been edited by Rubiya Nur (edited July 30, 2000).]

Comment

You need to try your level best to keep them at home. Always remember that your parents went out of their ways to make your life comfortable when you were younger, therefore, now its your turn to do the same or more for them. My motto is , where there is a will there is a way and if you really want to keep your parents at home, you will find a way.

Later on
          Zman

Comment

Dilwale jee

hey Iím an occupational therapist. I work in a large city hospital with geriatric population. We are always making discharge recommendations for patients who have been ill, speaking with families and doctors and this is a big issue.

Yes, I hope to keep my family home but we donít realize how unsafe our normal homes are for dementia patients. Yes, everyone wants to care for their family but it is a lot of work and few people realize this and know what to expect. There has to be another way to help families care for their loved ones.

Sometimes facilities can offer safe activity and independence because of the environment, especially for alziemers (sp?) patients. I deal daily with people who are so burnt out with caring for family and have limited assist from other family members. Its so difficult for these relatives to deal with the care and then the guilt from feeling exhausted from it I think there is a movement towards daycare centers, 24 hour caregivers and respite care which does help. However, 24 hour care or day care is still very expensive. Also assisted living is amazingly expensive Iíve heard from 1700/month for just the housing.

HOWEVER
            there is a difference from PLACEMENT in a nursing home and staying in a short term extended care facility/skilled nursing unit for rehab with the goal to return home.
            Patients can get better quicker because the focus is rehab and independence. Where family and nursing aids may not have the time, education or inclination to allow the elderly to become more independent.

Then again there are the horror stories of nursing homes.

Comment

Hi kashmirigirl: You are right, Where I work is basically known as CCRC and we do accept SSI ($750) for Assisted living for semi-private room. Additionally there is a push in our industry to accept Medicare. What is so great for our resident is we offer one stop shop for them. I am terrified seeing so many people who lacks medical background are opening Assisted living facilities for profit only. Just yesterday I heard that private home designed for pts with mental disorder was burn in San Bernardino CA due to negligence. Because of this I advocate strict regulations and JACHO invasion so it would prevent those who don't give a damn about elder care and know very little about it from opening Assisted living homes. I really like the CCRC concept most of CCRC offers their residents five star treatment. I pray to allah that no one have to make that difficult choice but if we have to at least we will be better prepared.

Comment

Dilwele jee
                what's ccrc? certified retirement community?
                are u talking about one stop shopping as in independent living, assisted living to nursing home to intermediate care facility? I like those too. Most of my patients are much more comfortable returning to those facilities. They are very familiar, they know the staff and clients know they can progress to independent living.

I think its hard for people to realize how guilty children feel when they are overwhelmed with caring for their parents. its not nashooker but just exhaustion. Plus people are unsafe. many elderly refuse to live with their children or move to facilities and they burn homes down, come in the hospital because they don't eat (because they keep burning their food on the burner they forget).

Anyway that was difficult for Jack handy to understandÖ but his thread wasnít about that in the first place.

How did you get involved in administration? Its such a growing field. Good to know that they are people who really are concerned about the care not just numbers and dollars.

Comment

Dilwale jee by the way

not everyone knows what ADL is

Activity of Daily living: dressing, bathing, cooking, cleaning, toileting, bills, laundry etc.

take care

Comment

kashmirigirl : Shukria

T.T.F.N

Comment

Working...
                    X