Stuttering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuttering

I have a friend who stutters a lot. Can someone help me out by showing some techniques?

thanks

Get him to see some doctor or something.

------------------
    *V~V~V*He came, He saw, He conquered*V~V~V*
    (Quran, Al-Isra, 17:81)

Comment

I know someone that used to stutter quite a bit. It was chalked up to low self esteem. I don't know how accurate that diagnosis was.

The curious thing about this guy was that when he would sing.....and he has a wonderful voice.....the stuttering would disappear.

Perhaps someone with proper knowledge on the subject will be able to shed some light on the matter.

Comment

same thing as watcher take her/him to a doc

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/hehe.gif
        Life became all Gray! But NOW i have decided to paint it all over again.

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

Originally posted by Muzna:
          Perhaps someone with proper knowledge on the subject will be able to shed some light on the matter.
          nahin yar muzna baji .. its better if a doc analyzes it ..

------------------
          Never frown, even when your are sad,because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.
          Ba'Qalam-e-khud, deewaan'e-gs say baraah'e-raast, Jang Bahaadur Nawaab'e-Lucknow Shaan'e-Brampton Miyaan Shamsheer-ul-Faizy(H.R.H.H.Mister confused)

Comment

i have a friend who stutters when he's nervous...n that's all there is to it...

the way he gets around it, is by thinkin of somethin else...somethin that DOESN't make him nervous, and then he just speaks fine...no problems...

------------------
            Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
            to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
            trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe
            is winning

Comment

Salaams guys,

Personally I think stuttering is more Phsychological rather than physical, (therefore a doctor or medicine won't really be able to help).

When I was at school, I knew this guy who had a very bad stutter, basically he use to stutter on every single word and always had difficulty in expressing his views or opinions. Many years after school I met up with him again. By then he was working in a reasonably paid job, had a very expensive sports car and when I talked to him noticed that his stutter had been cured !. So I think (in this situation atleast) his stutter was probably tied in with self-esteem and self-confidence.

Deevar, tell your friend to slow down when he speaks and not be in a rush to 'get the words out'... hope that helps..

------------------
              Death is only the Beginning.

[This message has been edited by Arch-Angel (edited February 01, 2001).]

Comment

:hula: :hula: :hula: and more :hula:

Comment

Deevar,
                  One of my closest friends also had a stutter, from early childhood, but I think the fact that she was shy and not very confident, made her stutter more.
                  She went to see a faith healer/hypnotist. Now this man would hypnotise her for 5 minutes and tell her she wouldnt stutter..and you know she really has improved alot, she hardly stutters at all now, and has become more confident also.

It is a psychological thing.

------------------
                  The well bred contradict other people, the wise contradict themselves.

Comment

I'm sure that the doctor would simply refer him to a speech therapist. They are known to work wonders.

Comment

It can't be just down to confidence. I know somebody who stutters and he's definitley not shy.

Comment

It can either be a confidence problem, or an actual speech impediment.
                        Sometimes kids are born with a speech impediment, and it is ignored as a normal stuttering problem. It might very well be because of some defect on the toungue or in the vocal chords, which the person learns to live with, and hence does not regard as abnormal. So its important that a doctor be consulted to make sure its not a physical defect.

Comment

I had a friend....and she stuttered a fair bit......

But it would disappear when she was blurting out expletives in english

Comment

Working...
                          X