Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorce a nightmare? or

Talag, a nightmare or a solution?

I am not sure if you people have any thing to say about this topic, you are probably too young, yeah, students you know

I personally don’t think that talaq is a problem, on the contrary I think talaq is a final solution for many problems, though it is not a solution for ALL problems. I don’t mean people should start talking about divorce every time they have a simple problem.

Personally I respect people who has gone throw a divorce much more then other people. These people had guts to say “enough”.

If more than 50% of marriages ends with a divorce in western countries it shows one thing to me. These people refuse to accept every crap their partner comes with, It means “if you have rights to do something I have same kind of rights too”.

Why do we have so few cases of divorce in Pakistan? Is it because everybody is happily married?

The answer is NO sir. Most women in Pakistan don’t have any other alternative. They HAVE to stay with their husbands or go back to “nanhiyal” /parents house. More than 78% of our women are illiterate and a very small percent have a job. That means, most of these women are financially bounded to a man, usually father, brother or a husband. Do they have any chance to say enough?

Among the things I dislike most in our culture is how we treat a divorced girl or a girl who has lost her husband (beva).

I think it’s enough for this time. “Enough Imran”.

imran

i totally agree w/ you!!!!!

i seriously doubt that most marriages in pakistan are happy. ppl are just scared to get divorced...

Comment

[This message has been edited by Rubiya Nur (edited March 02, 2000).]

Comment

Dear Rubiya-

I've said it number of times and I'll keep saying it:

"Our - means Pakistani - is a 100% Hindu culture."

It's a non-debatable conclusion and if somebody doesn't agree with it...ITS AN OPEN CHALLENGE to prove me wrong.

This the root cause of all our social & moral injustice to women.

"I am not blaming the men because it is the entire society"
        Ours is a men society and indeed we deserve all the blame.

I, being a man, find no answer for what you had to say except agreeing with you.

so long...

Comment

Imran, I think divorces are OK if a couple has tried their level best to sort out the differences and have failed at resolving. Americans have the guts to say enough but the "enough" from an american is coming from a "WHAT ABOUT ME" culture. These people are idealistic and too engrossed in their own self image to share their lives and love with someone else(not the user on this forum) for long. Our own Pakistani culture needs to be upgraded so that women have other options and also develop self worth/image. I can talk forever on this, but more later.

Later
          Zman

Comment

Rubiya --- There is more that I can add to your long list . . . . but later as you have given the gang quite a bit to think about as it is.

I love the "aik chamcha zehr" example. It fits soooo well.

Imran -- Thank you for understanding. Now . . .please tell me what you are willing to do about the situation . . .
            Please don't take this question as a demand. I am simply tired of hearing people say, "I understand" and "Things will get better" 'cause frankly, they don't. At least not on the outside.

After having lived through such circumstances, I know that I am rock solid on the inside -- I can take a lot thanks to the lessons I've learned. So, from a strictly personal vantage I have grown a thousand fold as a person. As a result things did get better for me -- but only on the inside.

The outside world has gone from bad to worse. And as Rubiya will concur, every year that passes by adds another layer of bricks to the wall behind which we are trapped.

Comment

Comment

Rubiya

I totally understand what you are saying. Believe me. I have seen the behaviour that you make reference to "first-hand". Even if somebody manages to raise himself beyond the confines and boundaries that our culture and traditions impose upon him, the biggest obstacle remains the "family/mother". Ironic that one woman inflicts this pain on another, isn't it?

My intent was not to ask ts to come up with a solution. I merely would like to hear what guys that can see the problem feel about how to solve it. . . .there may be something he can see and I can't.

Comment

Comment

What if you realize you made a mistake by marrying someone? What if, after years of compromise and sacrifice, you looked at your life and found that you were the only one compromising and sacrificing? What if you want another chance to find Mr. Right?

Comment

Comment

Thank you for your advice, Rubiya Nur-ji. i only wish it were that easy. It seems awfully frivolous...

Comment

I think it's terribly important that divorce should exist. I don't think that many people go into a marriage thinking, "well, if it doesn't work we can get divorced", but even for me, a happily married woman, it adds to my security to know that if necessary it's there. Anyone who has seen a friend going through a divorce knows it's not a clean surgical operation. But at least when there are no children, once it's over that's it. It usually takes place after months of agony, unhappiness, isolation, looking for alternatives, and usually for both parties involved.
                          Just three years ago two friends, both divorcees, got married. Both after long drawn out divorces, and much unhappiness... I think you can learn from experience. They are really happy and putting so much effort into their relationship. Both realise that they CAN survive on their own. When I start feeling negative I think about them and hope and pray that they will be able to grow together in this marriage.
                          According to the Hindu system, a girl is not given any inheritance, just her dowry. Thus one married she's no longer the responsibility of her family. She has no right to divorce. This is the heredity that we have to deal with, because though nominally muslims, many of us think subconsciously along the same lines.
                          My parents gave me two things: first, my education. My father said to me that if he had money to educate only some of his children, then he would educate his daughters, "because a man can find some sort of job any day" ... well he educated us all. And my mother always told me, "Beta, you could never do anything so bad that you would no longer be my daughter. If ever you need me, as long as I'm here, I will do everything I can for you". I've never needed such help, but it makes me more secure. Those of us who are or will be mothers can help by giving such security to our daughters, teaching them how to communicate and ... not getting them married in joint family situations!
                          I can assure you, this all makes me more secure, and therefore more capable and desirous of working out any problems, not the contrary.
                          My two bits' worth.

Comment

Comment

I am unable to answer ..... I never married ... yet divorced .... so this is out of question. Waisay ek baat kehta chaloon .... I think divorce is no good, if you dont like the crap then you better think about the crap the marriage produces and that crap is the children. I dont think that I'll be selfish to my children. Bachay rull jaatay hain Talaqoo(n) aur to kisi ka kuch nahee jata.

Comment

Working...
                              X