Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social sciences?

Assalam alaikum

I have copied and pasted the following passage from a book which questions the validity of the idea that psychology and sociology are sciences.

Don't worry moderators there are no copyright problems here.

THE ISLAMIC STATE

Hizb-ut-Tahrir

"4. Giving some cultural matters, such as sociology, psychology and education science, too much respect and considering them to be universal sciences. Most people recognise these informations (skills) as being scientific and that the facts which these studies establish have come by way of experimentation, as a result they treat them with high regard and they consider the findings of such studies to be indisputable. In so doing they turned to them in order to solve their life’s affairs and they taught them in our schools and universities as sciences, as well as implementing them in various aspects of life, and referring to them when solving their problems. Consequently, whatever the psychiatrists, sociologists and educationalists say is taken as a guide and reference ahead of the Qur’an and hadith, and thus we carry today erroneous concepts and viewpoints because we give a lot of respect and admiration for such informations (skills), hence we refer to them in order to solve our problems in life. It has thus become extremely difficult for people to accept anything which contradicts this state of affairs; knowing that it generally leads to the separation of the deen from the temporal life and that it stands in the way of establishing the Islamic State.

The truth of the matter is that those skills cannot be scientific, because they are drawn from observation and inference and they are not based on experimentation. Simply to implement them on people cannot be referred to as experimentation, but merely repetitive observations carried out on different persons in different situations and circumstances, and therefore they are just observations and inferences and nothing like the experiments carried out in laboratories where something is tested or indeed put to the test. Thus they are classified as cultural studies and not science, and besides, the findings are always doubtful with some considerable room for error. Furthermore, these informations (skills) are based on a false premise because they are based on viewing the individual as such and the society also as such, i.e. they are based on the individualistic viewpoint and therefore their vision moves from the individual to the family, to the group and then to society on the basis that society is formed by a group of individuals. This leads to the understanding that societies are split and that what is valid for one society is not necessarily valid for another. In fact society is formed by the human (individual), the concepts, the emotions and the systems, and what is valid for the human in terms of concepts and solutions in one place should be valid for him everywhere else. These concepts and solutions would transform several societies into one single society for which the concepts, emotions and systems would be valid. It is therefore the wrong conception of society which has led to erroneous theories in education and sociology because they are based on that misconception. It is also the wrong conception of society, because it is based on psychology which in turn is false for two reasons: Firstly because it considers the brain as being divided into segments with each of these segments having a distinct function or aptitude and claiming that some brains have certain aptitudes which other brains may not have. The truth of the matter is that the brain is one unit and the disparity of concepts and their difference come as a result of the disparity of things, which are perceptible through the senses, and of the previous information and its variability. There is no aptitude in one brain which is not found in another, but all brains contain the ability to think about every matter whenever the tangible reality, the senses and the previous information, were made available to the brain. Brains however differ in their ability to assess and link, and in the ability and the power of the senses - just like the natural variation in eyesight. It would be possible therefore to feed any person with any type of data and he would have the ability to digest such data; thus the claims which psychologists make about those aptitudes are groundless. Besides, psychology considers the instincts to be numerous, some of which have been discovered and others which are yet to be discovered; some theorists went on to establish false theories based on this concept about the instincts. In reality, if we observe the human reaction one can perceive through one’s senses that the human being possesses a vital energy which has two aspects; one which needs to be satisfied, otherwise the human would perish, and the other which needs to be satisfied otherwise the human, although he would survive, would become agitated and troubled. The first one represents the organic needs, such as hunger, thirst and the call of nature, and the second represents the instincts, which are the instinct of spirituality, the instinct of the species and the instinct of survival. These instincts reflect the feeling of weakness, the feeling of the preservation of species and the feeling of survival, and there are no other instincts except these three. Anything other than these three instincts would be merely aspects of these instincts; as for example, fear, supremacy and ownership, which are aspects of the instinct of survival; sanctification and worship, which are aspects of the spiritual instinct; and parenthood and brotherhood, which are aspects of the species instinct. Evidently, psychology’s vision of the instincts is false and its claims about the brain are also incorrect, which in turn leads to the falsehood of the theories upon which it is based and consequently to the falsehood of education which has all along been influenced by psychology.

Sociology, educational science and psychology are therefore educational matters which contradict the Islamic ideology and which are in general false. Thus, to continue to hold them in high esteem and to refer to them to solve our problems constitutes an obstacle in the face of working towards establishing the Islamic State. We ought, therefore, to demonstrate that these are merely educational matters and not sciences, and that they are controversial and not established facts. Because they are based on false premises they should not be running our lives, instead Islam should be."

End.

Assalam alaikum

Dear Mudassar,
    I really appreciate your energy.It is a very long post.
    This is one persons point of view,inherently biased, as the purpose is to look at it,to find reasons to discard it.
    I am not aware of the writers command on these subjects.
    I dont know your command on these subjects,and if you are basing your opinion, on this article,you are picking a very narrow angle of view,which restricts the power ,you can make an inference with.
    Anyone who is familiar with statistics knows that ,with increasing number of variables ,a very high number of observations is required to tease out the relation of the two,that are being studied.Hence the difficulty in doing experiments in these fields.Even than there are huge number of experiments done and published each year.
    It is the approach to a subjects that matter.Science means , making an observation,trying to explain it through reason,called a "theory" and ,performing experiments to validate ,the theory.In many instances ,experiments cannot be performed due to a lack of means.A good example is ,particle physics,where theory has been far ahead ,of our capacity to perform experiments.So as I said before,if you approach a subject,through these steps, it is still science.Even though you couldnt complete the steps.Mainly because ti allows you to keep things in perspective.A single observation ,is a single observation,which does not have much power , with which it can be generalized.
    P.S I would not be surprised to find that when church condemned galelio,the statement went something like"Giving some cultural matters such as sociology,Psychology,education sciences and astronomy too much respect is given to them by considering them universal sciences.................................
    I am sorry,I dont have the enrgy to keep on typing or the time to discuss,these very clearly biased issues.Mudassar I wont be able to respond to your posts,not because I dont have an opinion explaining things without religion,but because I cannot cover all the information required to, make you look at my point of view.
    SALAM

Comment

Sociology and Psychology are subjects in which we try to understand society and the individual. Models are proposed to help explain various aspects of society and the individual.

No one is suggesting that any model is fact it is merely the most suitable explanation we currently have to explain individual and social behaviour.

The argument that these subjects are not science is to me just a matter of labeling and therefore of little importance.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

Sarfraz,

Stop being a sad git and get a life.

Your not funny.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

Assalam alaikum

Quark,

I found out yesterday from a member of HT that this book was written in the 1950s and there is new material out but sadly I haven't got access to this material.

There's nothing wrong in what you're saying except that you are describing 'Modern science' and not 'Science'.

I guess there is no point carrying on with this topic.

Assalam alaikum

Comment

Working...
          X