Kismet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kismet

How many of y'all believe in kismet or fate and to what extent? I believe that everything is up to Allah (of course) but also that God helps those who help themselves.
    This "tug of war" has been on my mind for a long time. Any (decent) thoughts?

fate does exist.. atleast the fate written in genes.

Comment

Fatte exists in curruption!!!! IT'S TRUE! Oh and maybe communism.....

Comment

Last week I had a two hour discussion with few of my learned muslim friends. We came to the following conclusion :

1) ALLAH Almighty is all knowing and he "KNOWS" every thing about a person (including his destiny in the a day of judgement). He knows a person's intention,
        his goals and the final outcome of each of his actions.

2) Human being and other creation of ALLAH work on the basis of Time, Goals, Achievements and desires. Though Allah knows the final outcome of every action we take (Since He is all knowing (not bound with time parameter as he knows the future and the past)), the outcome of each activity is partially governed by our action. So it is true that Allah knows the final outcome, destiny etc. but it is we who materialize it (with Gods will) by our action.

3) Our destiny in our eyes could be dynamic
        (changing with our actions) but in the Allah's view (who created the time) it is already known.

4) In the day of Judgement we will be held responsible for each action that we took.
        And our action will justify the destiny that Allah knew all along during our life time.

5) We must strive to please Allah and do the
        good deeds so that with God's will our "destiny" will be Jannat

[This message has been edited by Sukhunwar (edited 09-02-98).]

Comment

wow...Sukhunwar summed it all up! i don't think anything else needs to be said now; i totally agree with sukhunwar...

Comment

Yes, especially point #4.
            Thank you!

Comment

Mind if I play devil's advocate?

If we are born with a pre-determined destiny, how can Allah hold us responsible for our actions on the day of judgement?

Can a benevolent and compassionate Allah be so unjust. For a child born into this world, destined to live a life of sin would then answer on that day, "O, Allah, I did as you had intended me to do. How can you send me to hell's fire if my fate was pre-written by you before I entered this world?"

Comment

Muzna,
                Salam,
                My name is Minhaj . How are you ? You brought forward the issue of predestination. A subject that has bothered me for a long time. The best explanaition I have heard so far is from this example.
                Think of God as a Programmer and we are the finished programme running according to the script written by God. Our choices are rewarded or punished by a seires of
                IF Statements . I am sure you are aware of the IF statements used in Programming.
                If the Script of life was written in Unix or C it would be something like this :
                If he sleeps around
                echo Lightening from the sky
                else
                echo Azan from the mosque
                if he gives to the poor
                Give ten fold back
                else
                make him poor ........
                I think you get the general idea . I hope I am making some sence here ! So this is how I see Predestination as a seires of If statements by the Great Programmer in the Sky. What do you think ?
                Minhaj

Comment

Well this is the only word i never understood (interms of real meaning) our religion says that every thing is written up there, thn why i will be punished if i commit a sin, why God will punish me for that, when he wrote it in there... thn question comes did we bring our kismat pre written or can we change it... this questions will never be answered if we get it is our kismat, if dont wasn't kismat... i think there is a little difference between kismat and naseeb... if not thn there should be a difference... what i think is that we can change our kismat... like i did some efforts to get to this gupshup group and meet you nice ppls so what you say is this kismat or i made my way...

Comment

Yeah! I'm with you Naseer. You kind of right when talking about corrupton because when you want something why don't you just bribe someone and FOR SURE YOU'LL GET IT! Communism could be?

Comment

I do not accept the concept of fate.
                      It would take me a lot to write,to express my opinion on that, and I am not in the mood to do that at midnite.Trust me there is a very sound ,logical, way of understanding this(not for those who are not open to any idea other than Islam)or those who dont have the required capacity of understanding the abstract concepts, needed to conceptualize it.Anyway I will get into it tomorrow.
                      sweet dreams

Comment

Minhaj, I love it! I'm not a programmer shrogrammer, but that explanation makes a lot of sense.
                        I guess the reason I posted the topic was to see what various people's opinion was as to
                        AT WHAT POINT do we take our destiny into our own hands? When are we defying our pre-written destiny? Should we wait endlessly for things to happen on their own or take that risk where we stand a 50-50 chance of doing right or wrong?

Comment

First we must define the "Kismat" and/or "Fate". We know that Allah Almighty has all the power and knowledge. Things beyond our power are defined by these words. But, we must remember that being "Khalifat-ul-Allah" we human being also possess certain power, that enable us to decide/dictat the fate of certain things.
                          SSS, I believe in it, I also believe that by following the right path we can shape the fate/kismat to a certain degree.

Comment

To me Kismet is simply the fact (I use the word loosely) that Allah knows what will happen to me tommorow.

Kismet does not absolve an individual from personal responsibility. Allah knows whether I'm going to actually carry out that burglary (an example of course ) tommorow but the choice is still mine. If I carry out the burglary I can't say in my defense that Allah knew but didn't stop me so I should be set free.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

I believe in kismet.

Comment

Working...
                              X