Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Muslims Living In Foreign Countries Modify Their Religion To Suit Their Need ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Muslims Living In Foreign Countries Modify Their Religion To Suit Their Need ???

I know my question is kinda tricky but I can't help thinking about it. Do we change our religion to suit our needs.. Lets admit it, some people, as soon as they land in US, Canada, or any other foreign country totally forget about being muslims and concentrate on blending in! Some stay muslim but they have so many modifications that it just doesn't seem so.Are we ashamed of our religion or what? Awhile back I met a guy and he said with total conviction that 8 out of 10 pakistanis care more about blending in than about their religion. I disagreed with him but when I thought about it and looked around me, I can just say that it was pretty disappointing. Any thoughts on the subject??

Assalaam Alikum!

Well Rida, I know one thing for sure. I haven't changed. Yes, I do agree many people do take the liberty of changing Islam as they like to suit their needs when they come to North America, but there still are the ones who are determined not to. I don't say I am a good Muslim, but I try to follow Islam as closely as I can. And By the Will and Mercy of The Almighty, I have a faith strong enough to keep me from going astray from the right path. I have seen many people who still are sincere to Islam, and would not change no matter what.

And as you say, yes, I also have seen people who do seem ashamed of being a Muslim. For those people, all I have to say is that be proud of who you are. I am proud to be a Muslim, and have made every sincere effort to get recognition from the society, and educate them in the long run, what Islam and Muslims are all about. There's nothing to hide in Islam. What's to be ashamed of? Just do your homework properly, so that when someone asks you a question about Islam, you can provide the right answer! That's the real source of pride, knowing what your religion is all about, and expressing yourself properly when needed.

Khuda Hafiz

[This message has been edited by DeSiMuNdA.]

Comment

Hey Rida, what are you doing in Oshawa, i thought there are no desis there

Comment

Does the following question not hold true as well? "do pakistanis living in pakistan modify islam to suit their needs"
        There is so much talk of Muslims in the west
        modifying or not following Islam that we fail to see what we do in our own country that is
        not Islam..but is presented as such.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Well I agree with you 100% DesiMunda. It really does depends on the person. As for your question Bhola, you are right, not many Pakistani's live in Oshawa but I am one of the few lucky ones. Its a beautiful place. You are right to ask that question Mr. Fraudia and I do believe that the modifications in Islam that Pakistan's make living in their own country are way more drastic that those living in a foreign place.

Comment

I wouldn't say that Muslims living in other countries modify their religion. Some Muslims neglect some aspects, and others totally give up following it.

Comment

Have you forgotten that Islam didn't originate in Pakistan and that it was modified quite a bit to suit the needs of people living there?
              If a religion cannot modify certain aspects it dies. Depends what these aspects are. Is Saudi Islam, Indonesian Islam and Tunisian Islam the same? Why? Why not? Could you accept them all? Are you beginning to see the difference between the religion and the culture? Often they are not easy to separate.
              We seem to have forgotten the Islam teaches tolerance and brotherly love... just about everywhere there are Muslime this is missing and it distresses me. None of us have to prove to the others that we are right after all in the end none of us will judge each other.

Comment

Dear friends....why can't we "modify" ourselves to suit Islam?

Shirin-G! Islam does believe in tolerance but tolerance n modification are two entirely different things.
                As Fraudiyaa n you put that Cultures, unfortunately, have had effected n marred our religion but results of this can be seen.

We shud educate ourselves n study the Islamic doctrine and you'll see that it can be practised, in its original form, in any society.
                Cheers,
                Kaleem

Comment

People blend religions with existing cultures and geography.

Comment

Trouble is, what do I tell a young boy who has gone with all good intentions to the mosque, only to be told off because his jeans were too tight? Adapt to the reality, one day the boy will realise it's uncomfortable but he'll keep coming back. Now he won't he's too upset. Last time I went to the mosque some busybody women who thought it was their Islamic duty took me to task because I didn't get enough water between my toes while doing wudu. They are so rigid that they push you into tight lines and it's hard to do sajda. They are obsessed with these details and think that this is religion. This is the kind of tolerance I was asking for. Forget the petty details, think about the heart of the question. Unfortunately though most of us remember this sort of riff-raff and forget the most important things. Any ideas?

Comment

Well Shirin, I have to agree with you there. Some people do go over-board. They instead of following the main things like Roza, Nammaz, Zakat Haj, they pay more attention to those teeny tiny details. Believe my I went through what you had to endure because once I went to a mosque and I was wearing a white scarf. One lady came up to me and said you know the dark of your hair is showing so your namaaz won't be done. I mean helloo, it was only a faint shade. There isn't much we can do about that except try our best to be as good as we can.

Comment

Rida and Shirin Salaams.
                        Its so true what you'll are talking about. I guess the best is to ignore people like that and be good muslims because its only between you and Allah(SWT). Allah knows you best and what is in your heart.

Later
                        Zman

Comment

I haven't read all your point of views but I think Islam can never be modified, ya you can explain it in different ways to your own satisfaction and this thing has created differenct sects in Islam like ... Shia, Sunny, Wahabi etc etc. Islam is quite flexible and people use the flexibility. Now if someone is using the flexibility to the extent of the limitation of Islam is fine, but, as soon as he crosses the limit of flexibility then he is not modifying the religion but he simple is not following it. So it is not modification it is a lame excuse, religion is there in its pure form with flexibility and he is not simply following it. Someone said here "Islam was not originated in Pakistan, right but it was/is never modified to suit the need of Pakistani people living in Pakistan they are simply using the flexibility of religion within its limitations according to their needs. Quran can't be modified can it be? And all our religion is in Quran or in Sunnah ... now 100% hadith is not authenticated so the main source is Quran. I dont think religon can be modified.

Comment

Great points Najim (by the way nice name too). Anyways I was saying, I have heard about most of the types of muslims, but nevr of Wahabis. Mind elaborating?? As for flexibility and modification. What I am talking about is lets take Hijab for instance. It says without a doubt in Quran that women should wear Hijab. Tell me something! How many females around Canada, U.S and any other countries have you seen who wear Hijab to the true meaning. See its modification. The most common excuse to be heard is that you don't have to do if you're not married. Thats modification. Flexibility would be like wearing a scarf with your hair showing but at least giving it a try.

Comment

Sunnys,

The people who follow the Sunnah of Nabi, Hazrat Muhammad, PBUH.

Wahabis,

The people who dont follow the Sunnah of Nabi, Hazrat Muhammad, PBUH, but their hadith. Most of the Arabs are Wahabis, they are not sunnies.

But there is not much difference in the way of elaboration of Quran in both Sunnys and Wahabis.

Please do not mix up Ahmadis (Qadaiyanis) with them, they are non-muslims.

Now wearing Hijab, as it is stated in Quran that women must not show her hair means she must cover her head. It is obligatory not a choice for women, but it is also stated that if women start getting grey hair they are allowed to uncover their head. Now if a young woman doesn't wear hijab ... it is not using the flexibility, it is simply un-obeying the command. If you see Plymout Brethrons (a religous sect of Protestant Christians) their girls wear scarf on their head, they dont uncover the head. Some of religious jew girls do that ... and some of muslims as well. I mean there is nothing wrong with wearing hijab in a Western world .... I know many girls, one of them works as Director in IBM, Greenock UK, wear hijab. But again ... Hijab must be worn with an intention for its actual purpose not like ... once I saw a girl in night club dancing with a chinese and wearing hijab. It become useless then. Its better not to wear Hijab if you are not able to keep "LAAJ" of hijab.

Comment

Working...
                              X