racism at workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

racism at workplace

how many of you have experienced racism or some sort of discrimination at workplace?and what kind?.. Discuss please..
    Patta patta boota boota haal hamaara jaane hai
    Jaane na jaane gul he na jaane, baagh to saara jaane hai

On my last job , I was the only Muslim /Asian/Brown/Desi fella , so yes there was a bit of discrimination , kind disguised . But on tech level , higher management hardly showed hatred or intolerance.

So it was like whatever happens around Muslim world , I was accountable for that . Oh god I still hate those debates we had .
    I don't pretend to be a man of the people. But I do try to be a man for the people

Comment

Re: racism at workplace

On the face of it I see all goody goody at my work place. I do not have any complaints. The workforce is very diversified that might be the reason. Also this is a global company with factories and offices all around the world so that is why it has so much tolerance.
      Fools never disagree.

Comment

Been there............... done that............No Sweat!.........
        We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are!

Comment

Can't say I have faced any. BUT...

It's not the apparent racism, it's the talk that goes on in the office when something happens in the world (like something stupid done by MOSLEMS) that makes me uncomfortable. I know they are not pointing at me, but someone brings up the topic, everyone talks. I myself take part in some discussions like "Did you hear China is banning all cars coming into the city a week before Olympics", so I can't say that talking about world events at work is wrong.

But what can I even say if someone brings up the Danish cartoon incident and the violent protests in Karachi? There are only so many times one can say "Those people do not represent the true spirit of Islam, and are completely wrong".

And while I am at it, I understand the Westerners living in Muslim countries during those times must have felt the same discomfort, with people asking strange questions, giving strange looks and maybe some even tried to be apologetic. I feel for them. It's not their fault what happens back home, they have no control over the events. Just like I don't have any control over the events in Karachi.

Although, no one at work brought up that topic while those events were happening. So no one said anything.
          Paisa Koi Cheez Nahi Hai - Jay-Z and JD

Comment

I went through a little bit after 9/11...that was a very difficult time and I still remember. I worked part time as a receptionist in the summers at a local gym. When 9/11 happened, I was watching TV (obviously we werent that busy) and they showed it all. Almost immediately after that, the atmosphere changed. I actually had a screaming match with one of the sales people on the floor because he kept asking me what I have to say about the actions of my people. I was very young, extremely sensitive to the issue and not in a position to give politically correct or diplomatic answers. I let him have it right back. Regardless, he was fired in the next few weeks.
            Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

F*** racism not jus at work, it shouldnt be anywhere PEACE
              not using this anymore

Comment

I am so irritated with your use of the word 'Paki' that I can't care less about the rest of your post.

p.s. Never heard of Mirpuris before.
                Young soul's search has been paused.

Comment

You're using Mirpuri as a derogatory phrase so it sounds like an insult.

Paki is actually a hate word and shouldnt be used...thats what my Dad told me.
                  Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by TeenDabbyWala View Post
                    Can't say I have faced any. BUT...

It's not the apparent racism, it's the talk that goes on in the office when something happens in the world (like something stupid done by MOSLEMS) that makes me uncomfortable. I know they are not pointing at me, but someone brings up the topic, everyone talks. I myself take part in some discussions like "Did you hear China is banning all cars coming into the city a week before Olympics", so I can't say that talking about world events at work is wrong.

But what can I even say if someone brings up the Danish cartoon incident and the violent protests in Karachi? There are only so many times one can say "Those people do not represent the true spirit of Islam, and are completely wrong".

And while I am at it, I understand the Westerners living in Muslim countries during those times must have felt the same discomfort, with people asking strange questions, giving strange looks and maybe some even tried to be apologetic. I feel for them. It's not their fault what happens back home, they have no control over the events. Just like I don't have any control over the events in Karachi.

Although, no one at work brought up that topic while those events were happening. So no one said anything.
                    I can totally relate. I feel the same. Most people are quite courteous and I try to model positive behaviour - but sometimes you just know they're itching to say something.

PSquared, your dad is right.
                    Young soul's search has been paused.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenFire View Post
                      how many of you have experienced racism or some sort of discrimination at workplace?and what kind?.. Discuss please..
                      Hi,

I had been working in Britain as a doctor and on many occurrances, I have seen even career decisions being made against coloured persons by the goras. For instance, when it comes to providing useful guidance, short cuts to gain career success, they would always educate their own , not to coloured people. They discourage foreign people as much as they can, at all levels.

However, I would also accept that when it comes to humanitarian rights, like supporting the needy, looking after the ill, they have implemented many teachings of Islam, which unfortunately is even not being practiced usually in our own homeland. If we could learn to support our community members by all best means, rather than leg pulling, we might be able to build up our country, like the developed ones.
                      Ayat e Mubahila Chapter 3 Verse 61 of Quran e Hakeem

Alla Huma Salle Ala Muhammad Wa Aale Muhammad

Comment

yep it surfaces more strongly when things happen on international level, like 9/11, Bali, when the lebanese guys allegedly gang raped any aussie girl, sydney riots. generally people are easy going with few red necks here and there. sometimes its for being muslim and at others for being ethnic.take your pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kori
                          ^
                          People from Mirpur.

Mirpur is a region in Azad Kashmir but borders Punjab.

The people of Mirpur are not ethnic Kashmiri's but sometimes like to call themselves that, they speak one of the dialects of Punjabi called Pothwari, the same dialect is also spoken in Gujjar-Khan, Haripur etc. with minor differences.

The Pakis made a water dam in their regions so whole villages were uprooted and shipped to Britain to fill the labour shortage.

Brits got labour, Pakis got land for their water dam.

Even though their whole families are British now and they don't have any ancestral village to go back to they still have this Pakistan-obsession and are building great big mansions in Isb/Pindi.

SIlly really, if Turbela dam was to burst open and my village drowned I'd never come here, I only love my village and my immediate family (grandp's, aunties, uncles, cousins) here. The rest of Pak means nothing to me.

jaahil and uncultured.
                          pity u are banned, cause I would of had a very interesting discussion wid this person, who I feel is being racist againt mirpuris.

Comment

Originally posted by Kori
                            I've also had a handful of BNP supporters mutter not-so-nice things but they all had the decency to later say that "you've changed our opnion of Paki ppl" or that "you're not like the rest of them, ur one of us, one of the lads, ur not a Paki".

jeez man, you take this sh**?

you seriously need to look at what their saying to you and appreciate that atleast 'badboy mirpuris' dont have to take this sh**. your being treat like a homosexual mute.

while the mp's are cruisin, livin it, lovin it

Comment

Working...
                            X