Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did...

....continents come into being???
    in what basis were the continents formed??

Re: How did...

Read the following articles and see if they make any sense.

A Good Source:
    Pangea Continent Map - Continental Drift - Supercontinent

Standard Wiki:
    Pangaea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the bases of drift, its usually associated with the movement of Tectonic Plates.
    I've left GS. StraightUp:I joined GS reading ur posts! Leefa:U always cracked me up! KB:Admire ur temperament! K337:Best pingoo! adeeba & MM:Wished me Bday.Thnkx: Aisha. Balqis. CE. Dildarni. DaringV. FrozenDoll. glamorous. THNKX GS 4 DA BAN.FUHeera!

Comment

No, i know about the tectonic plates and all.
      i mean to say, how did they name each continent, or on what basis were different countries grouped??
      like, Souther Africa, South America and South India were once part of Godwana continent, but they broke off. but in present times they are not named under one continent.

Comment

Originally posted by pallavpotter View Post
        No, i know about the tectonic plates and all.
        i mean to say, how did they name each continent, or on what basis were different countries grouped??
        In short, the names were given by the Greeks and to further explore this subject read the following,

List of continent name etymologies
        List of continent name etymologies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The grouping part is still in progress i.e.
        1. Europe[European Union redefining the landscape, Turkey being the prime example of wanna be europe.],
        2. NA[with mexico trying desperately to be part of it, regardless of the fact that it is geographically.],
        3. Central Asia[No clear borders, just treaties.],
        4. I can go on and on about China's recent activity but its the same around the world.
        5. Also, have a look at Diego Garcia and Chagos Islands.
        Last edited by navaidishere; Nov 20, 2008, 06:08 AM.
        I've left GS. StraightUp:I joined GS reading ur posts! Leefa:U always cracked me up! KB:Admire ur temperament! K337:Best pingoo! adeeba & MM:Wished me Bday.Thnkx: Aisha. Balqis. CE. Dildarni. DaringV. FrozenDoll. glamorous. THNKX GS 4 DA BAN.FUHeera!

Comment

like, Souther Africa, South America and South India were once part of Godwana continent, but they broke off. but in present times they are not named under one continent.
          1. While the migration started by San Bushmen was still in progress and Land was drifting, we as a specie weren't keeping track of our surrounding, as we are today. Call it the lack of awareness at the time.

2. We forwarded what one calls "Verbal History", from one generation to another but as we all are story tellers, the story kept changing and becoming more elaborate.

3. Sad representation of this fact comes from the stories forwarded from one generation of native american to another. When the natives told everyone about their forefathers moving in cold for decades to reach a warmer place. No one believed them because by then the world as we know had already drifted. And as science would tell the story later on, that infact, their forefathers did travel through all the harsh cold weather of Russia and entered America through Alaska.

Comment

Working...
          X