Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Profanity and vulgar Language

Hi,

I often see(im sure you do too ) people use more profanity and indecent words to complete the sentense(damn, hell, F***, Sh**, etc. ect). There was a time when uttering "hell or "damn" would have resulted in severe punishment for chidren and social isolation for adults. Today, unfortunately, we tolerate commonplace profanities and vulgarities, and in many subcultures(or NET-subcultures, i.e Gupshup) their use is common. Under the influence of film and television writers who aim to titillate and entertain, we have become inured to these expressions. In fact, it is common to hear elementary-school children utter string of "FOUR-LETTER words" in school hall ways and lunchrooms and on the playgrounds.

Why do people swear/curse and engage in coarse language? Why do you?

------------------
    *V~V~V*He came, He saw, He conquered*V~V~V*

Well actually now days people think its decent to use these kind of language and even adults do that too now.
    People blame the entertainment media for these kind of things but the #1 source of vulgar language is the adults at home who do it in front of their children specially in Pakistan.

------------------
    Thank you, come again

Comment

Its true that people "think" it is decent to curse and use indecent words in front of their kids.
      But does the THINKING of people make something wrong right for the society as a whole?

Maybe, they "think" its ok for them to swear infront of their kids, but do you approve of that in front of your kids? I didn't think so.

Unfortunately, profanity and vulgarity are habits that are easily acquired and hard to extinguish. In fact, an alarming # of people use such language as filler expression that add little or no meaning to the content of the message but are liberally peppered into the verbal message out of habit. Therefore, for some folks the ubiquitous "F--K" has come to serve the same purpose as "like" and "you know"!

What does the use of profanity communicate, what kind of communication are to trying to make with the use of such vulgar language?

------------------

Comment

Well, this is a time when one shouldn't adhere to the "if you can't lick 'em, join 'em" adage. I don't condone the use of profanity - never have and probably never will - hey, my kids get in trouble for saying "shut up" to one another (and they're all teens) Just because society becomes lax, doesn't mean you have to...

Comment

Aah, you mean "If you can't beat them join them" right?

Yes, I agree, if society purposely has gone bad, does not mean you have to go by the rules of the society; make your own clean, simple rules.

I think everyone else just shied off from this thread.

------------------

Comment

Watcher:

It also depends on where you are, and which societies you move in. For example, in our family if a child (below 12 or something) is even found saying "Allah ki qasm" on mundane things, it is a cause of severe reprimand.

However, in some other families, especially punjabi speaking families, the kids leash out with several swearings in a single sentence. Even adults are mixing each sentence with a multitude of swearing and realtionships with mother and sister. In fact, a particular swearing involving sister is so common, that people use it just to pat a friend on the back or to re-emphasize that prices have gone up or weather is very hot! (If you know what I mean).

One of my friends (A) was so sensitive back in college, that at one time, when one in our group (B) addressed him (A) with the same sister-word, he (A) quit the friendship with the other guy (B) completely in protest.

So, it all boils down to how you groom your kids and what sort of moral standards you adopt around them, to make them understand in clear terms, as to what is acceptable and what is not. School is definitely an influence, but remember that kids spend, on average, twice the time at home, then in school. So parents, especially mothers, have a higher responsibility to ensure that swearing and rude language is not tolerated in kids. This becomes kinda difficult if parents themselves, especially fathers are prone to careless language around kids.

However, rude language and profanity is not a malaise of kids alone. Adults also must refrain from it, as it stinks of crudeness (for want of a better word).

Re: western society. Can't comment much except that their morals are going to the dogs anyway. It was only a matter of time, before their language caught up in this race for decay.

Adios!

------------------
            Don't Blame me...
            C'est La Vie

Comment

The Watcher: most people who use profanity to impose their points are either:

1) come from strenous home life, are constantly inferiorated by their elders with means of profanity (there for resulting in everlasting acceptance for use of profanity as main port of communication)

2) lack confidence in their verbal communication, thus trying to make up for it with profanity.

3) just think its cool, so why not?

4) lack decison making skills

5) are suffering from torrette syndrome

6) or are just trying to go an extra mile in making an impression on someone.

UMAIR316: they think its decent, cause they dont know what isn't.....

2)

------------------
              oo LiFe Is An IllUsIoN aNd ReAliTy iS a FiGmEnT oF tHe iMaGiNaIiOn oo

Comment

Pristine..... that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation that More punjabi speaking people swear ???

MS
                http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/devil.gif

------------------
                ~*~* Gizzy Ki Jaano.. *~*~

Comment

nope pristine i think thats totally wrong
                  im punjabi and i know a lot of punjabis but they dont tend to swear more often
                  may be its from past experiences that you are basing your facts on but trust me they dont swear any more compared to people from urdu speaking backgrounds or english speaking backgrounds..

------------------
                  the dictionary is the only place where success comes before work
                  I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

Originally posted by Mem Sahib:
                    Pristine..... that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation that More punjabi speaking people swear ???

MS
                    http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/devil.gif

ummm......I dont know about other provincial lingos........but punjabi sometimes does get very foul....Though pristine made a generalisation.......but he also followed on to say a lot of ture stuff too....

If punjabi ppl swear less and others do more.......

well "two wrongs dont make a right" ......AARRRGG CHOAK CHOAK..COUGH COUGH..what an over used phrase

------------------
                    ME ME ME!!!

Hey....can anyone tell me what clinton did with the Cigar???

fuee.tripod.com
                    [email protected]
                    http://144.132.53.121/recent?0
                    picture

Comment

Originally posted by rizwanfareed:
                      nope pristine i think thats totally wrong
                      im punjabi and i know a lot of punjabis but they dont tend to swear more often
                      may be its from past experiences that you are basing your facts on but trust me they dont swear any more compared to people from urdu speaking backgrounds or english speaking backgrounds..

I agree (with english speaking ppl part)...... I dont have much experience with totally totally fulltime "never speak any other language" urdu speaking ppl

------------------
                      ME ME ME!!!

Hey....can anyone tell me what clinton did with the Cigar???

fuee.tripod.com
                      [email protected]
                      http://144.132.53.121/recent?0
                      picture

Comment

[This message has been edited by Insaaniat (edited October 07, 2000).]

Comment

Ofcourse, I was generalizing based on my own experiences. Punjabi is quite acknowledged as a very 'colorful' language. I have nothing against the language, as some of the best peotry I have read is in Punjabi.

The fact remains (again a generalization ) that educated families tend to have better control over their choice of words, compared to less educated ones and un-educated ones. If you live in Lahore, or in any other city or place in Punjab, and happen upon conversation going on market places, bus stops (and the like), you will agree with me, that Punjabi can be very 'colorful' for the most part. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/hehe.gif

Education level definitely tends to be a part in this equation, whether you wish to accept it or not.

Adios!

Comment

Education
                            I disagree
                            I have known people highly educated and then also giving ma behan ki

Education has nothing to do with it

Why do people abuse?[list=a][*] Just out of sheer frustration[*] Anger or the feeling of not able to do anything bout the situation[*] Just to 'Fit In'[*] Kharboozay ko dekh kar kharbooza rang pakarta hay ..so basically what is around a person its going to blend in him[/list=a]
                            Picking point D & C
                            A person let be jahil or educated is known by their manners
                            One can be highly educated and badtameez and abusive
                            One can be totally unparh and then also achay buray ki tameez rakhnay wala

Conclusion
                            Trace them back to their early days
                            If they arent taught the right ways ...if they arent told that gali galoch is actually Not Good then the problem can be solved

However usually when a boy cusses its actually praised ....
                            just like when these kids harass girls they are said to be 'real mards'
                            So as long as we have Jahiliat we are going to suffer at the hands of such people

Regarding Point A & B
                            Everybody at some point in their lives does gali galoch ...
                            It will be a complete lie to deny that one hasnt ever indulged in gali galoch

knowing what to say at what time and around whom is the whole point
                            I have often read that its good to let one's feelings out instead of keeping them bottled up inside
                            helps a person relieve the tension and frustration and lets them think clearly

Knowing the difference bw abuse and use is another thing

PS. Pristine i will have to agree with your point bout the kind of language people of Punjab use ...i was at this site and well umm found it hard to digest the conversation
                            check it out http://www.paki.com (log onto their VChat)

Comment

Azkar what are you editing?

Comment

Working...
                              X