Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why gupshup is so dominated by overseas Pakistanis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why gupshup is so dominated by overseas Pakistanis?

aaslam u alikum,

its now quite a time that i have been in this gupshup, but what i strongly feel is tha gupshup is overpowerd by people living abroad, why so?

all the mods are engloindian, all senior members are even, the main topics u discuss, most of them concerned with the life of people living abroad.

am i right?or its just a feeling......?

You are right that majority of our members are overseas, and all mods and admins as well.

It may have to do with level of internet access and usage in US/Canada/UK etc compared to other countries as well as Pakistan.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Does them living any where in the world make them a Less Pakistani ?

Comment

Fraud and Anchal have covered what I wanted to say.....

In fact I wanted to go a step further and suggest the old adage: "Ghar ki murgi daal barabar". That is to say, those living in Pakistan often do not give importance to the kinds of issues and subjects that we, ex-pats focus on.

Comment

Fido,

w'salam,

It's true that most influential voices here are from overseas Gupshuppers. That isn't a matter of policy, it's just that we make most of the topics and that's why we have more to say. In fact we welcome all people who have something to contribute, and there is an increasing amount of Gupshuppers posting from Pakistan.

As Muzna says, more often than not, it is us ex-pats who are flying the flag of our own free will, and believe me, there are many who wouldn't.

People like you should start your own topics and make your voices heard. You are more than welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchal:
            well i didn't said that. or did i?

------------------
            Just Regards,
            Fido

Comment

Muzna how can you say a thing like this. We do not give importance to the issues that we deal with everyday. We don't want to talk about the difficulties that we face everyday. No offense meant but you people or your parents choose the easy way out went abroad to have a life that might be tough but in which they don't have to face problems that we do. We that have chosen to live here we for whom everyday begins with a new question to which we have no answer, we that want to fight for our rights we don't want to talk about it. What are you guys doing for Pakistan. Most of you don't even like sending money to your relatives through banks. I know alots of ex-pats coming here and taklking about how miserable our lives our and how bad Pakistan is. And you are telling us we don't care. We that suffer everyday.
              We don't forget...its' just that life goes on!

Comment

Originally posted by fantastic1:
                No offense meant but you people or your parents choose the easy way out went abroad to have a life that might be tough but in which they don't have to face problems that we do.

---I disagree with you. people go abroad to get better life is no offence. I fact I thing life is pakistan is more easy then abroad in some ways.

Secondly , Do you what is impact does foreign pakisani do on economy in pakistan??

Most of you don't even like sending money to your relatives through banks. I know alots of ex-pats coming here and taklking about how miserable our lives our and how bad Pakistan is. And you are telling us we don't care. We that suffer everyday.

Totaly wrong again.............if pakistani dont send money by bank then its does not matter because all it do is less commission to banks.

What about the money that foreign pakstani uses in pakistan or invest in pakistan?

what about pakistani helping their reltives in pakistan?

what about pakistani fighting for cause that help pakistan in international politics.

next time anyone make any comments liek that..just ste back and think what are saying and to whom you saying

[This message has been edited by Insaaniat (edited September 29, 2000).]

Comment

well i didn't said that. or did i?

------------------
                  But you sounded like you didddddididididiididiid fresh bhai of mine.

Comment

I differ with what fantastic1 has said. In Pakistan one is looked after by so many. Members of immediate family support you, other relatives etc. When outside of Pakistan, one is totally on their own. It's very easy to make assumptions sitting in Pakistan, but it's a totally different world out here. One is independent. And one's gotta take care of every big and 'lil issue themself. Heck, most men in Pakistan are still mama's 'lil boy even at the age of 30+. Whereas here, one matures early and learns at an earlier age to take care of responsibilities and actions. Not trying to make any judgements or generalizations but if u compare the two life styles and the folks who are caught up in it, you would surely see the difference.

Comment

Fraudia!

Just a correction, recently I visited United Arab Emirates and found INTERNET services much better than British Telecom (BT)!!!!!

------------------
                      Nadeem

Comment

Hi folks

I would like to add few of my point of view; I come here because I love mirc chatting, but the problem is that in my office there is firewall and only port 80 for internet surfing works. Since I like reading and writing, and like to interact more with people, I have to come on this forum.

Other possible reason that most of the gupshup is populated with pakistanis' abroad is either they are to isolated from the pakistani back home and miss the people, or they are too involved with the pakistani community over here in UK, Canada and US; and therefore try to keep intouch with each other over this gupshup forum.

However, interesting point to know is that all the guppys abroad have better understanding of Pakistan's international standings and all the related issues that being faced by them over here; And thats a reason most of the sensable threads on the gupshup forum have been started by guppies living abroad. And they definitely have intellectual opinions in most of their post; thats only becuase they have seen more world and came cross very diversified thoughts and arguments.

GOt to go and resume my work, take care

bye

Comment

I think, because lack of Internet Services and expensive computer equipment. There are people on the net from Pakistan and other third world countries, but in small numbers.
                          Hopefully, soon when prices - of computers&Internet - are reasonable for everyone to afford, than we might see allots of Pakistanis and gupshup members from developing countries.

Anyone in Pakistan, who participates on gupshup?

------------------
                          *V~V~V*He came, He saw, He conquered*V~V~V*

[This message has been edited by The Watcher (edited September 29, 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by fantastic1:
                            Muzna how can you say a thing like this. We do not give importance to the issues that we deal with everyday. We don't want to talk about the difficulties that we face everyday. No offense meant but you people or your parents choose the easy way out went abroad to have a life that might be tough but in which they don't have to face problems that we do. We that have chosen to live here we for whom everyday begins with a new question to which we have no answer, we that want to fight for our rights we don't want to talk about it. What are you guys doing for Pakistan. Most of you don't even like sending money to your relatives through banks. I know alots of ex-pats coming here and taklking about how miserable our lives our and how bad Pakistan is. And you are telling us we don't care. We that suffer everyday.

fantastic1,

I respect the lifestyle that you and other Pakistani citizens lead.....that is, the difficulties that you face. But I disagree with your statement that our parents took the easy way out.

My friend, facing financial(all people that came abroad were not rich with "old money"), emotional(being separated at a very young age from your relatives and friends), and physical (dealing with extreme weather conditions, language barriers, racism) obstacles/hardships was not the "easy way out".

Ask my father what it was like to be turned down for positions where he was technically over-qualified but couldn't express himself as eloquently in English. Ask him what it was like to not see his beloved parents for years on end. Ask him what it did to his self-esteem when he asked his wife to go and work.
                            Ask my mother what it felt like to sell her jewellery to fund the airline tickets.....jewellery that was never replaced because the money was always more needed elsewhere. Ask my mother what it was like to go to work because one income no longer supported the family, not to mention the money that was expected back home by the extended family since a "son was abroad in Canada". Ask my mother what it was like to come from a background of "purdah" (she used to wear burqah) to wearing trousers and blouses to "fit in".

Ask me what it was like to go to school and be called "Paki" because I was darker in colour than my classmates. Ask me what it was like to have to fight harder and longer to get what I deserved.

Trust me....it was not the "easy way out".

I could very easily suggest that the easy way out would have been to stay in Pakistan. I could go on and on about the success that my father could have had in his own field of work had he not taken the challenge upon himself. But I won't.

I won't because I know that each person has their own "cross to bear". Each person makes the best decision possible. Nobody actively selects a difficult life, more often than not, it is forced upon them.

In my first post I did not belittle the hardships that Pakistani citizens face. I simply suggested that the issues that concern ex-pats are different from the issues that concern citizens in Pakistan.

As far as your question about what we have done for Pakistan....that, buddy, is another thread entirely.

Comment

Good Question!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X