Junk net mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk net mail

I have been receiving a lot of junk mail and spams lately and the funny thing is that I don't even give out my email address when filling out those registeration fields on the net anymore. I just make up a phony email address.

Another (not so less) funny thing is that I've been receiving same sort of mails over and over again. In past one month alone, people contacted me to get to buy their Caesar salad recipes about 200 times. I have been offered to receive university diplomas without studying round about 100 times. And I'm the lucky winner of $25000 jackpot for just over 50 times. I'm not even gonna talk about the various net magzines who were kind enough to subscribe me automatically.

Question is, how do they get your email address? Do they hack hotmail or something? Also, from a consumer standpoint, what do you think about such junk email? I personally find net junk mail a lot more irritating than snail one because it's a lot easier to get rid of the later one.

I'm not sure how one gets included in the junk email-list...but u know I don't wanna know the procedure either....I feel that even if I hide myself from the world someone would still find my email address and offer me good prices (with a catch ofcourse) on dishwashers...and that would irritate me even more.

ciao,
    BoSS

Comment

I know yar Rome, I even got a marriage proposal. I had to turn it down as I did not if It came from female or male or you know what....

Comment

yeh, johny, never say 'I do' over the net. Next thing you know you'll be kissing the monitor screen afterwards.

Comment

Roman: hotmail has leaks, sometimes admins sell addresses to companies, or websites, and if you have replied to any of these ads that u recieve, ur email addy is passed along to all the companies, and or website rings. Its usually no use putting these addresses on block either, cause they just circulate addys every 5 mins. If you are really recieving too much junk, switch over to more reliable mail server (yahoo,lycos, excite)

------------------
          You see things, and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were and I say 'Why not?'

Comment

Thaks for the info kaka. I stopped using my regular ISP email account long ago as I'd change ISP every few months and would have to inform friends etc all over again (which pretty much pissed off everybody in my social circle and I even started getting threats of social boycott if I'd to change my addy one more time) so I thought I'd just get a web based email account.

I have a forwarding email account that I use so I guess I should give some other web based mail systems a shot.

Comment

1) They are getting or rather BUYING these e-mail addresses from the free e-mail services like Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. This is one way they recover their expenses by selling membership lists.

2) The Free Internet Service Providers are also selling the email list to recover their costs.

3) The Fee-based ISP do not sell their e-mail list; and, commercial mails are from companies that one has had dealings, either direct or indirect.
              The junk mails or spam are almost non-existent at these ISPs.

Comment

Well Roman
                I dont know how many emails you have been getting but between friday and monday I got over 21,000 (yes thats 2 1 0 0 0 +) emails sent to my online email account (total size about 35 MB). Of course each of the email was forwarded to my POP account as well so yesterday i lot of fun deleting all the emails.
                Well now the person is on my junk list, but the emails still keep on coming . Anyone know how you can stop him at the ISP level?

Comment

Apparently some isp's provide a filter for this reason cuz, in the end, they suffer if their customers get bombarded. Check with your service provider hmcq.

I've had my hotmail accounts for years now and have never faced a problem. On one account I volunteered to be listed in their directory and I also subscribed to a couple of their services; needless to say, that account gets loads of junk mail every single day.

Comment

I use Hotmail and they have added some provisions to root out spaming.. They have created a new folder where the system detects if the mail is "mass mail" and sends it directly to "Bulk Mail".. They also have extensive filters and when used correctly, they do a very good job of filtering mails..

I give out my e-mail every so often and when I start getting thrashed, I add the domain to the filters.. I works wonders...

[This message has been edited by ghalib (edited September 21, 2000).]

Comment

Internet imitates reality...I open my inbox after 2 days and it says 30 new messages to which i'm excited, maybe its an old buddy catching up, maybe its an urgent message from my parents or maybe its that pic she never sent!!! but alas all junk and only one real email..."just a friendly reminder that your discover card payment is due next week!!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X