Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Sexism Still exist in todays society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Sexism Still exist in todays society?

If so, are we doing enough to combat it?

Your views please

Sexism as in the western point of view or sexism in the "islamic" point of view?

If you are speaking out the former then yes of course it exists.

If you are speaking about the latter then yes it exists BUT only if males or females believe that they are not being treated fairly, which is very prevalent as many cultures lead us to believe that islam says this and islam says that, where as all it does is give males and females two different roles to play, which are complemetary and by no means is one superior to the other.

Therefore I believe sexism is a western concept and if you live by islam then it would be non existent.

[This message has been edited by Mariah (edited September 13, 2000).]

Comment

Of course it still exists. And it will continue to exist, at least for the remainder of our lives.

Are we doing enough to combat it? That depends......what is enough?

Comment

Those sort of things exist in every race every culture. There is always someone who think they are justified in their thoughts and believes regarding the subject. So no matter where u go, you will run into sexist folks.

As far as fighting against it is concerned, those who do find themselves in that situation where they end up having to combat, really have to go about it their own way. They might be able to generate opinions and ideas from others, but in the end we all end up fighting our own battles ourselves.

Comment

It definitely does!
          A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

hello people.
            Personally I feel sexism, just like racism or any other form of discrimination, will never be eradicated, and while something maybe sexist to one person, there will be another adamant on saying "no it is'nt, it is natures." way or some other excuse like that.

I have another comment... well it is more of a gripe, why is it when some one starts of a sentence by saying" I am not a sexist,but...." and then will say something totally contradictory to what they started with, same goes for raceism.

[This message has been edited by the real AK47 (edited September 13, 2000).]

Comment

Sexism...there you have another example of problems with west...thats a shame.

------------------
              *~~~mOrE LoVe iS NeVeR eNoUgH~~~*
              Jaan-e-mun Jaan-e-Tamanaa
              Edharr aah teriyaaN LaatTaanN PunNaa-n

Comment

Of'course Sexism exist... in both societies... East Or West !

------------------
                I'd rather be RiCh than sTuPiD.

Comment

I don't think either society, eastern or western is doing enough to combat sexism.

Its such a broad topid though...I think sexism is evident in two major areas - one is the economic life of an individual and the second is the social life of an individual. There is a world march of women on October 15 and 17, one in Washington and the other in New York. They are demanding a number of changes be made on two fronts - one is poverty and the other is violence against women. There platform is pretty radical, but alot of the things they are asking for do make sense and would advance women's rights. Pakistan is being represented at the march. I think there website is http://www.worldmarch.org or something like that.....

Achtung

Comment

IT's so simple man..........

Women are weak and man are strong!

Women are smart and man are dumb!

case closed!

Uh Oh! what have i done????

------------------
                    *You know most of me, but not all of me*
                    *Things that I have done are not suppose to be*
                    *I'm a sinner of my sins*
                    *A prisoner of my prisons*
                    *Will someone care to cry for me*
                    *If not, then you must see*
                    *That I ask not to die for me*
                    *I just want to know*
                    *If I die will you cry for me*

Comment

Originally posted by yOuNgBrAt:
                      IT's so simple man..........

Women are weak and man are strong!
                      not that sure ..

Women are smart and man are dumb! U got that Rite!! http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggthumb.gif

case closed!

Uh Oh! what have i done????
                      Stay Kool http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smooth.gif
                      Ciao

------------------
                      I'd rather be RiCh than sTuPiD.

[This message has been edited by Digital-Grrl (edited September 14, 2000).]

Comment

Lets look at our Pakistani culture.

There have been guys that I have known that will be very outgoing, they have girlfriends, go out clubbing etc.

These aren't bad people, most of them don't even drink and some of them are very good people, i.e. very caring and damn good friends.

BUT, their attitude towards their sisters. They can have girlfriends but if their own sister even remotely looks at a guy then they are ready to kill him/her.

Where does this hypocrisy stem from? I suppose it's the way it is in Pakistan - some parts of it anyway. I find it so hypocritical that a man can have one rule for himself and another rule for the rest of his family..

Isn't they girl he is dating somebody's sister or daughter too?

If any of you guys are like this then please explain this to me!

Comment

It's interesting to see how the thread seems to have come to a screeching halt after Cooldude's question.

Our society has suffered from dual standards for centuries....and the discrimination continues to this day. Even so-called cosmopolitan cities like Karachi and Lahore are not exempt.

Furthermore, anyone that suggests the problem of sexual discrimination stems from the western world is only fooling him/herself.

Comment

Working...
                          X