ZeeTV or SOny Asia channel ? advice sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZeeTV or SOny Asia channel ? advice sought

Iím currently thinking about subscribing to either ZeeTV or the Sony Asia channel. Iíd appreciate comments from people who watch either channel. Iíd like to hear what you think about the quality of programmes broadcast on either or both channels. In particular will it improve my Urdu if I watch a little of the channels every day as I donít get much of an opportunity to speak Urdu.

Any other tips on how to improve my Urdu would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Farouq Taj.

I think Zee concentrates more on music. They have lots of programs that cover this area. Sony, on the other hand, plays more movies. Sometimes these are real old ones, the black and white, i mean.
    I hope the above will narrow your search a litlle bit.
    By the way, which carrier are you subscribing to?

Azkar

Comment

Can you please tell me that how aree you subscribing it? Cable or dish?
      Thanks

Comment

I'll definitely have to agree with mr Azkar. But one thing I can tell you is that the sole purpose SONY will serve is improve your Urdu. Not more than that. The rest of it is all crap. You'll get better quality of programming in English channels only.
        That goes double for ZEETV.

Comment

I'm planning to install a 60cm satellite dish facing 21 deg E aimed at the Astra satellite.

I'm just outside London.

I can't access ZeeTV on cable as the cable company only provides the Sony channel, in addition I have to subscribe to their standard cable package and pay extra for ZeeTV. By using sateelite I will only pay for ZeeTV as I don't plan to pay for the SKY channels broadcast from the Astra satellite.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

Farouq Jee
            Zee TV is better in my view as Sony has a load of dubed stuff rather than original programmes. can't you check out each one personally at a friends home or something??
            Good luck

PS: to improve your URDU you only need to speak it at every opportunity possible.

Comment

Nazia,

I've checked out ZeeTV but don't really want to admit it. I found the movies so corny they're embarassing. I've only seen the Sony channel briefly so couldn't form an opinion. Though here when the cable TV company switched to SOny there was an uproar amongst the Asian community. Many have switched to satellite including my wifes friend as a result.

In all honesty my wife wants ZeeTV and she can speak fluent Urdu. My wife feels it may also help our toddler who currently speaks TellyTubbies. I feel it will be of some help to me if I watch the Urdu/Hindi channel I just need more exposure.

I've decided to get up a ladder in three weeks time and fix the dish and configure the receiver. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

I've asked for advice and it seems like you can install the dish without the use of a signal meter.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

Farouq Jee
                I don't know anything about instaling satelites so i can't help on that one http://www.pak.org/gupshup/frown.gif
                Never mind, continue to speak to your wife in Urdu and it should improve, and just miss out watching the movies (which i agree are a little unrealistic) rent something out from the local video shop instead!
                Farouq Jee don't worry about the little one's language, they only speak what they want to no matter how hard you try and teach them!
                Good Luck again
                Nazia

Comment

So Mr Taj,
                  What do you think,
                  Which one is it gonna be!
                  I'd rather you go with SONY, even if it does show dubbed programs. I think its all the more better, atleast you wont fall asleep!
                  But if you R actually paying to get ZEE then you're in for a big mistake.

Comment

Everyone in my neighbourhood here seems to favour ZeeTV so Iím going to install a satellite dish and subscribe to ZeeTV.

I love d-i-y and would like to install the dish myself but may end up paying to have it installed to save time. Hereís the reasearch Iíve done in case I decide to install the dish myself.

First thing I had to do was work out the direction that my dish needs to point towards the Astra satellite which broadcasts ZeeTV. I used software downloaded from www.smw.se plus some advice from usenet newsgroup alt.satellite.tv.europe to work out the following info:

My location = London = 0 deg longitude 51.5 deg lattitude
                    Location of Astra satellite = 19.2E roughly over the equator at approx 38,000km distance

The satellite direction needs to be:
                    Azimuth = 156.01 deg
                    Elevation = 28.36 deg
                    Polarisation = -7.7 deg

Iím roughly 80-100 miles west from the Meridian line so I need to check an atlas and see if I need to use a more accurate longitude value.

Iím going to use a protractor and compass for the elevation and azimuth respectively. For the compass I worked out the magnetic declination value for my location from www.geolab.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/e_cgrf.html , the value is 3.30 deg West as of 1998.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

Hey guys,
                      I haven't been to Pakistan in 6 years. So I don't know what Zee TV or Sony Asia is. I am moving back to Pakistan in few months. Could someone pls tell me what country they are from what programs they show. If they are any other Satelite channel pls tell me what they are and there info etc.

Comment

Farouq Jee let us know what the little'un thinks of ZEE TV, just try to keep away from the 4 am movies!!

Comment

I remember I used to have Zee in 1995 ... and when I moved home I got rid of Zee .... so never got a chance to see Zee after that .... a week or two ago ... I went to one of my cousins place and saw Zee there .... looked really strange .... I liked it I would say ....

Farooq .... I would like to point out one thing here .... speak Urdu (Punjabi, sindhi Pashto ... whatever you speak) with your child otherwise he would know only one language and that will be English .... I mean many of my cousins are unable to speak Urdu or any other language at all .... and it was a mistake of their parents because they spoke English with them at home and now they regret that their children can't speak Urdu/Panjabi. So I'll suggest you to make your child speak Urdu or Punjabi at home because he is gonna learn and speak English in outer world anyway ... they only place he can learn Urdu or anyother language is his home .....

I mean I speak (read, write) four languages fluently without any problem ... and the credit goes to my parents, although my mum only speaks Urdu/Punjabi and broken English.

[This message has been edited by Najim.]

Comment

O Yaar koee minu wee Zee TV lowa daway .. mai(n) wee koee indian filmaa(n) shilmaa(n) daikhya karaa(n).

Comment

Working...
                            X