Urban legends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urban legends

Ever heard of the story of a man who, while on a trip to another city, picked up a woman from the bar, went to his hotel room, got so much drunk that he passed out and when woke up, found himself in the bath tub full of ice cubes and massive blood stains with a note on the front wall reading You kidneys have been taken out, call 911?

Or how about the psycho-maniac in India who would go to cinema theaters with an injection full of HIV +ve blood and inject an unaware victim with the blood?

There are thousands of such stories. Some of them are actually quite believable. One of my friends back in Pennsylvania told me the famous legend of the wedding in which the Best man of the bridegroom requested the guests to look under their chairs, while he was proposing the toast. The guests looked and found pictures of the Best man and the bride in an objectionable state. My friend told me that he actually knew the guy whose cousin was present at that wedding. I believed the story for six months until I read slightly different versions of it from many other places on the net.

These urban legends always start as My brotherís roomateís cousinís sisterís colleague told her that... or It's a true story because my uncleís mother-in-law's nephew's neighbor's dog confirmed it. These stories are never first-hand experiences of the person telling it, unless you just met that person sitting next to you in a bar or waiting for a bus and hit off a little chat.

Urban legends are modern folklore of horror, irony, shocking surprise, or terror fabricated by a formidable imagination. A lot of them are pleasantly surprising as well. There are thousands of them. There are even web sites dedicated solely for telling and archiving of these folklores. In present times, they are even more widespread due to the invention of internet.

When I was new to the e-mail phenomenon, I used to receive a lot of forwarded mails from friends and relatives containing such stories. The naive of me used to even believe many of them. Not anymore though. However, I still find urban legends to be quite interesting. Even though they can loosely be categorized as 'pulp fiction', I think they are still quite imaginitive and creative works.

Heard anything interesting lately?

Urban legends are modern folklore of horror, irony, shocking surprise, or terror fabricated by a formidable imagination
    Well said!

Personally, I find it hard to believe in things which I've not experienced or witnessed myself so I end up getting a line 'Ainoo tay chadoo ji...' a lot ;-)
    However, recently I saw this movie, 'The Blair witch Project'. Its about three students who go into the woods, get trapped by a witch and never came back...Later, their movie cameras were discovered and this movie was released. Some of my friends don't believe that the movie is true but I, for some reason think it could be true. Witches do exist other than this forum ;-) They r for real dude! and my neighbor's dog agrees with moi!

ciao,
    BoSS

Comment

BoSS, could you please introduce me to your neighbor's dog? I would love to kidnap him/her.

Comment

"if it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it can't"

these sotries might be made up, but you never know when some Psycho person
        will try to bring the story to reality, it's best to be careful.

u guys seen the movie "urban legend", it wasn't that bad, it
        was shot at my univesity (Univ. of Toronto), Urban Legend 2 is coming out too soon.

Comment

I feel like hearing some stories. Talk, people, talk.

PS. Keep 'em short, will ya? Only I can write long posts here :-D

Comment

I totally agree with Bhola...this world is full of psychos and weirdos. It's best one watches out for their own safety. A lot of times, things are unbelieveable until they start happening to one themself. Why invite trouble of any sort? Specially something which can be so harmful and injurious to one's own life.

Comment

Can i tell some supernatural stories??

Comment

yeah!!!!!!!
                Tell us some Jinn stories Naik!!
                i got some stories on the "Zelda woman"
                *shivers* the Zelda woman is about a chic/jinn who has feet which are 180 degrees backwards
                *double shivers*

Comment

Originally posted by NaikLarki:
                  Can i tell some supernatural stories??
                  Well, it depends who is telling. If it's NaikLarki then I guess we can make an exception to supernatural stuff. If it is Not*So*NaikLarki then it's a little tough. We won't want to go towards the dark side, you know.

Comment

yeah scary stories, lv hearing em, about this jinn seems i am not the only one whos heard about the feet pointing backwards, oh and dont 4get ur only liable 2 meet her on a hot summers day at midday( the times got 2 b precise, if my memory serves me right) or after dark.oh and a word of advice, if u do come acrosss one of them dont look back! apparently it/she can control u and stop u from moving!( not that i believe in them, no really i dont!) http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif

------------------

Comment

well, desi larki, you're right about the hot summers bit.
                      my bengali friend's older brother's friend's friend << http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/wink.gif>> was walking down a benglai shoreline.
                      They were walking in the golden beach sand, beneath the blazing hot sun. They noticed that
                      they were walking towards this gorgeous lady -- well she looked very beautiful from a far at
                      least. So you know, they were getting...err...ready for her.
                      Khair, so as they arrived closer, her walk became more, and more elegant. She looked even more
                      beautiful compared from far away.However, then one of the guy glanced at her feet, & noticed
                      they were like backwards -- and she was still walking normally how everyone else does. Like
                      180 degrees backwards.
                      Cuz of that, they just wizzed by her -- freaked out as anything. And they just walked/ran
                      away. They decided to look back, and saw that she was looking at them. Though, they escaped.
                      http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif

Holy shimolly......was i EVER freaked out during one of my 8 yr. old nights when i was
                      told that story. <<Uff, i thoguth she was gonna appear infront of my bed or something!!!>>
                      hehehhe, anywayz, now that i think about it, i'd probably laugh if i ever came infront of
                      her, or make fun of her feet,..um...at least i think i would do that...
                      http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/confused.gif

Comment

No "supernatural" phenomenon will ever happen to me.....
                        Bhola bhai jaan,
                        I can see the wisdom in your opinion.. better safe then sorry....paarr what would be the limit..when should we call it being overcautious, and when should we call it frank paranoia..
                        Naik,
                        Supernatural story?? Tussien tai aap ee superman oo..

Comment

wow Kohal...u reminded me of that "Noorie" song video by Ballie Sagoo...same thing http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif ehehe

Comment

i just remembered...anyone read The Thousand and One Nights?? it's pretty amazing...talkin bout supernatural stuff http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

and i have no clue as to how much of that stuff is true...there has to be some truth to some of the stories...

Comment

Yeah so i also feel like hearing an Urban Legend story myself.
                              Btw, thre's this movie coming out soon enough which is based on the Urban Legends themselves..& i just remember 1 urban legend in particular...

There was this young girl who went to a party. When she got to the party, she gave her coat & hat to another girl who basically dumped it on a bed in another room (like how some of us @ house parties do...). So she was there @ the party...having a good time & everything. & when she was about to leave, she picked up her coat & hat & put it on..
                              She left for walking back to her house.
                              & then, the next morning, she was found dead..the police came..& found a scropion in the hat which she had put on while on her way back to work. & she died cuz of the scropion's deadly bite. Someone played a real mean trick on her @ the party by dropping a scropion in her hat.....

hm, wow, what a story now thta i think about it.
                              She could've at least felt that something was in her hat before she put it on her head again. god. some ppl.
                              But what happened to her is a taddd bit freaky if you think about it..

[This message has been edited by kohal (edited August 03, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X