Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

self respect or selfishness

dudes .
    In our daily lives we hear lot of people talking about self respect.
    My idea is that both are related to each other.
    in order to gain self respect u have to get selfish.
    my question is what is the difference between self respect and selfishness

Self respect: when one recognizes one's own self worth, and respects him/herself for being the person one is.

Selfishness: When one only respects one's own self, and gives others ********. Such people are often a victim of "khushfehmi" and deserve pity.
    Life is only a dream.

Comment

The diffrence is a lot and some times not !

Only you can intuit the diffrence by your own!

Comment

naveed_jee r u nova's identical twin brother???

Comment

No I think he's Nova's second self.. although in this case it's still very*much*sooo*Nova.

Comment

hi every body. i dont even know who nova is actually. but thanks for your comments anyway.

Comment

Self respect in most cases is holding utmost respect for one's ownself. When a person has self respect they watch their own actions, behavior and ways of thinking and try to become better individuals to the best of their ability, in every aspect of life so that they can give others the same respect. If one doesn't have respect for his self/herself, then there is no way that certain individual would have respect for any other cause they simply wouldn't understand what exactly "respect" is.

Selfishness can not be related to respect in any way whatsoever. Simply cause respect is something which is earned. It can not be bought or pulled out of people by being selfishness or putting one's own self before others. It's an individual's character and personality which wins him/her respect from others.

[This message has been edited by Rarediamonds & Gold (edited July 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rarediamonds & Gold (edited July 25, 2000).]

Comment

ok now i just add one thing.
                which people r respected these days.
                (1) A school teacher ?
                Ans: No the society makes a mess of them(He is unwanted character)
                (2) College Lecturer?
                Ans:No the college student make mess of them
                (3) Honest Workers?
                Ans:No there is no room for honest worker in this society.
                we respect rich and wealty(dont worry how they get wealthy, an honest worker never gets wealthy).we respect only those whom we r scared of.
                Now Can school teacher or honest worker can even think about self respect.
                He is abused daily by the so called
                (muazzizin-e-sheher)

Comment

NaveedG, your original question was about self-respect vs selfishness. Don't confuse others respecting with self-respect - that is a whole separate issue. If one has self-respect, then they probably don't care if others respect them or not...

Comment

AuntiG...If one has self-respect, then anybody who is worth being anybody would respect that person any way.
                    Life is only a dream.

Comment

aunti i think that self respect and respect r both related to each other.
                      now it is becoming more and more difficult to MANAGE your self respect.
                      in old days the honest workers and teachers were respected so they cared about self respect.now they r abused and when a person is abused for nothing. they lose their self respect. m i right.
                      My idea is a person cares about self respect if he is respected.
                      no one has self respect by birth .
                      what do u think

Comment

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by TortureRack (edited July 28, 2000).]

Comment

DopeyG yes, my point exactly...

NaveedG, I think you have it the other way around...one has the self-respect first, beginning in early childhood, the respect from others comes later...

also...i think it is a separate thing...that polite respect one has for a profession versus the real deep admiration, real respect one earns when time and time again they have pulled through and done a great job and really earned your respect...

I'm not not quite sure which one you are referring to when you refer to college lecturers, teachers, honest workers...do they deserve our respect because they are honest and teachers, etc. or have they gone above and beyond the call of duty to really earn our deep admiration and respect...

I think the confusion lies in the definitions of respect and self-respect - do I respect myself for what I am or what I stand for? and do I want others to respect me for what I do as a profession or for what my morals are ... or because I live up to my word time and time again and can be counted on...

And yes you're definitely right, one is certainly not born with self-respect - one has to earn that - from ONESELF !!

Just my thoughts...see I'm also from those "old days" you were referring to... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

Comment

actually aunti jee .
                            i dont belong to the old ages.
                            i m just 21 years old.

Comment

Working...
                            X