Rightful Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rightful Owners

recently there has been talk of returning art pieces looted by the Nazis to the rightful owners. I am in complete agreement with it and support it. At the same time there should be equity and all that was looted from the subcontinent and other colonies by the british, french, italiana nd portugese should be returned as well.

Earlier German auto manufacturers were settling lawsuits by the jews who they had forced into slave labour in the manufacturing plants. To be equitable there should also be reapatriations to the families of those in the sub continent and other colonies that were forced to serve the colonial powers.

All artifacts in western museuams that were not purchased from their countries of origin, but taken... should be returned immediately.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

I think its not the matter of principle or just. Its the end result of political pressure Germany had been feeling since the fall of Berlin wall.

Germany was forced to offer an apology for ethnig cleansing and return the looted treasure only because Israel is not a weak country anymore. On top of that, it has the blessings of other western countries especially the US.

Comment

I agree Imran. But thats how it is being portrayed as...i.e as justice.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I agree 100% with you Mr.F
        I truly belief that the so called development / civilization of the western countries is a direct result of robbing the rest of the world.
        Example : Piet Hein was a sea hero in Holland in the old days. The fact is that he became a hero by stealing gold and robbing ships of other nations.

[This message has been edited by pathwari (edited March 14, 2000).]

Comment

Yeah man. We want the wealth that the English stole from us. To make it even better, in return, we will give them the “masterpieces” they left behind, (otherwise known as feudal lords).

Total agreement with Fraudia. V & A if full of stuff from Indian Sub Continent. But no matter what they return to us or not, the damage that colonialism inflicted on us is not reversible, and in essence is as atrocious as the holocaust.

Comment

NY you are a good writer care to draft a letter to the editor that you can distribute here and we can send it to local newspapers?

Its not much, but why not? Its unlikely that anything one can say or do at this point would make the brits, french, dutch, spanish, portugese and italians give up what they took. There would always be some sort of justifications i.e. the stuff was stolen during the period when the colonies were ruled and thus is not comparable to Nazis.

Maybe the people of the former colonies should be more vocal in general.

It disguest me however to see anything be done and touted as a shining example of fairness and justice when such a dark past exists in other countries history.

Comment

cheen lo in sab goray logon say apni cheezain, sab say pehlay uss bayhooda malka-e-bartanya say koh-i-noor cheeno.

aur zalell logon nay tipu sultan ki talwaar aur dhaal bhi apnay museum mein rakhi hai numaish kay liye.

cheeno in sab say...

Comment

Okay. NY..where is that dang letter you wuz drafting??

All crap looted from colonies needs to be given back, and if the museums in UK and USA are in such need of the artifacts, they can try to make an offer and buy it.

Chorr..ucchakay..

Comment

Folks,

How reliable is your claim that the success of the western world is based on such looting?

Think about it.....what would have happened to the treasures had they been left to our nations?

Who do you think would possess the Kohinoor? Which politician's daughter would have received it as jahez? http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/wink.gif

playing devil's advocate

Comment

Had it not been for colonial powers..would we be with such a political system where such a question is a serious concern?

That is unknown...

Comment

Muzna Gee,
                      i rather see OUR Koh-I-Noor belonging to one of our own Maasi Museebatan then to some ugly british princess.

Comment

Fraud, letter coming in a few days.. after I come back, I will have something to show you. The curator of Lahore Museum is a good friend of mine, and I will be meeting with her when there, and ask her input into the issue.

Muzna, it is true that lots of stuff were taken by the colonists after they left India, but the problem is that most of the stuff was given to them as “gifts” by then called “Maharajas” who gave away collectable and valuables to get protection. But there is other stuff that they stole, which needs to be returned back. I think, in all sincerity, that most of it belongs to India and very little to Pakistan.

I think Fraud has a good point that they can keep it, given that they recompense.

Pathwari yara, who says that British princess are ugly? How can livestock be ugly?

Comment

I want my koh-e-noor Back!

------------------
                          Do you...yahooooooo!!! ?

Comment

I am not just talking India-Pakistan here, I am talking about egyptian and middle eastern stuff too.

Coming back to our region, the thing that pissed me off more than anything was their display of the armor and sword of Tipu Sultan in the tower of London.

Some of the actions were extortion or blatant fooling of other people. Back in the day people in US and Uk used to buy Mummies from egypt for cheap prices, at one time they were used as fuel in trains...and dang it I am not kidding..read about it sometime.

The 'slave labour' issue should come up too..after all 1947 was not too long ago and a lot that was going on can be tracked.

P.S: H.M Quen Elizabeth Regina.. I would also demand the property and stuff that was seized from my family http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

Comment

Working...
                            X