Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arabian Princess Elopes With a U.S. Marine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arabian Princess Elopes With a U.S. Marine!

"I did the worst thing possible in my country, to fall in love with a non-Muslim."
    -Bahraini Princess Meriam Al-Khalifa.

It has all the trappings of a fairy tale - an 18-year-old princess falls in love with a commoner and then secretly elopes with him, abandoning her life of luxury for love.
    But this love story is now wrapped in a legal fight and has the potential to cause an international row.

The Princess says she fears retribution if she returns home but the State Department has said it wants her deported. Bahrain's head of state Emir Hamad is a cousin of the princess's father. The US considers Bahrain a valuable strategic ally.

"She embarrassed the royal family. To keep their reputation clean, they would have to take vengeance," Mr Johnson(her husband) told the paper.

Bahraini officials said the princess had no reason to fear returning.

To read full story, pls click: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...000/828923.stm

QUESTIONS:
    1)Should she be sent back to Bahrain?
    2)Do you believe that she won't be harmed?
    3)Similar event occurred with a Saudia Princess Misha'al who was caught attempting to elope and later executed along with her lover!

Americans should learn from History!

She should be sent back to Behrain if its the legal requirement, its her husbands responsibility to save her. When she ran away from (her parents) home she was 18, obviously she was not a child but an adult to she should know the consequences .... and she should be ready for it. Its a common saying,

Okhalee main sir diya to mooslooN ka kia darr?

Comment

I couldn't read the full story as I'm having problems with my server but on the info given by ad-bul,

>>1)Should she be sent back to Bahrain?

If that's US law then I guess so.

>>2)Do you believe that she won't be harmed?

Probably not. It would be a major world incident.

3)Similar event occurred with a Saudia Princess Misha'al who was caught attempting to elope and later executed along with her lover!

Yes. Very romantic isn't it?

Comment

1- No, in worst case they can move to
        another country, Canada?, Sweden? ..??

2- They are going to kill her. It's
        no longer a family matter and if her
        family loves her so much, y donít they
        come to US to visit her?

I am sure American authorities will do
        every thing to send her back. A good
        solution is to move from America to a
        third country or to hide.

Comment

I have to agree with Imran! They made the same assurances to Princess Mishail but later 'stoned' her and shot to death her lover! I had posted the story about her on Gupshup over a year ago; those interested can do a search under her name.

Nothing may hapen to her right away, but once the public spotlight is over, she'll never be heard from.

Comment

Respect the laws of the land http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif no matter how much you disagree with them, or give asylum to the person in question.

The chica knew the possible consequences, so she hasta decide to either go back and face the music or get asylum somewhere.

There was major outcry when that punk american teenager was caught vandalizing in some asian country and was gonna be whipped..
            hey thats the damn law there, ignorance is not an excuse..
            I surely dont expect to get out of speding tickets just cuz in Pakistan I could drive at whatever speed I wanted (or the traffic would allow me)

So what will be the US priority now...cordial ties, or upholding the principles of the red, white and blue etc etc etc..that ya hear all the time.

Personally, I doubt that pleasing Bahrain is a big concern for US..

Hmm do they use regulae stones or do they use marble slabs to stone royalty http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/wink.gif

Apologies if I seem to be taking this lightly..

But..would this be an issue if a regular desi guy/girl ran away with an american and wanted to move to US...

You know the answer.

[This message has been edited by Fraudz (edited July 12, 2000).]
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

As Stevie Wonder says...
              Shes got desert fever, shes got desert fever...

Well..Remember Elian Gonzalez?
              She should be dealt with according to the law as well, not according to what USA's humanitarian concerns are. What happens with her back in Bahrain is their own decision. She knew fully well what she was getting herself into when she started off this akh mataka with a marine.

However, speaking of it from a personal viewpoint, i think noone would want to see her stoned or killed. Its unfortunate, but countries in the mideast at times are quick to apply shariah in such matters, but ignore it when they are sipping vodkas in their 20 trillion dollar palaces and watching belly dancers shake their thangs. Hypocrisy galore. Islamic laws were not just made for women. Allahu Alim

Comment

damn is that guy ugly..not that she is a major looker..but that dewd....*UGH*

anyways my personal views are..let them be and just be fair and just.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I agree with Imran here.

1- They should move to a different country until she gets her papers from INS based on her marriage with a US citizen. If this is not an option then they should definitely apply for asylum. I think it also depends on what's her present status in US.

If she is out of status or has an illegal status then moving to another country may not be feasible as INS laws in such case require the person to return to his/her home country (I think; don't take my word on it though as there may be some other loopholes involved).

2- My guess is she probably will be harmed. But on the other hand, I don't know if Beharinis are as much strict as Saudis on such matters.

3- Again, I won't know if we are comparing apples to oranges or not. But why take the risk?

[This message has been edited by Roman (edited July 12, 2000).]

Comment

It is indeed a complexed matter. However, as someone has already mentioned above, that when she eloped she was 18, an adult, and therefore quite aware with her actions and the consequences that were to come about later on.. If she DOES decide to go back, there is a very strong chance she will be executed, as the Bahraini royalty would like to set an example for others who might want to follow in the girl's footsteps. She can obtain asylum in some other country. However, I do think that as muslims, one should be aware of what one should do and what one should not do. There is an appropriate time, and appropriate way for doing everything in islam. And religion can not be sacrificed for anything. Not even love. For one should hold Allah and His Prophet SAW dearest above anybody else.

[This message has been edited by Rarediamonds & Gold (edited July 12, 2000).]

Comment

Do you think that if she eloped with a Muslim that her punishment on being sent home would be any different?
                      Zara

Comment

smart girl to leave that bull**** country. there's more islam in America than in that little slave country.

Comment

As she left Bahrain unlawfully so she should be returned.

Comment

Originally posted by Rarediamonds & Gold:
                            ........she was 18, an adult, and therefore quite aware with her actions and the consequences that were to come about later.
                            --------------------------------------------

Originally posted by mansoor:
                            As she left Bahrain unlawfully so she should be returned.
                            Do you really think she deserves execution because she loves
                            a non-Muslim, and left her country because of this love?

Could she leave Bahrain legally?
                            Was there any other way for her?

Comment

Adbulmalick...good morning,where is our moderator or the controller of gupshup...what is going on dear....

ay nayey dosth maiN samjhoonga tujhe bhee apna

Comment

Working...
                              X