I Have an Itch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Have an Itch

A few evenings ago, I attended a bookreading and a literary dinner in the city. I was introduced to a few names in the publishing industry. I have written, co-written, and edited a number of academic papers. I am a perpetual reader and often feel that I should have been a writer.

Every summer my emotional energy kicks up a notch and parallel to that is the inertia that makes me look for excuses after excuses for not writing. Then, there is my intense relationship with people in my life, and I donít want it to trifle because that is the efficacy that I will need when I decide to write.

Then there are my own apperceives, my encounters, my experiences with out-of-context lives of migrants, expatriates, others. I have a million stories in me wanting me to write, be direct, translucent. I know stories about brief relationships Ė with lovers, family, friends, those I met in travels.

Then there is my own little family, with relationship that is delicate, deceptively simple, yet it charts the depth of alienation, regeneration, and cross-cultural fertilization in New York Cityís immigrant community.

Then there is the unpredictability of translating life onto a page. Would it take the essence of reality out of ink and pad, or would it add to that? My relationship with my own culture is in many layers. Each layer full of concentration, intensity, emotion, hatefulness, passion, and strength.

What to do?

I have decided to get into deep contemplative mood. Yes, it is the summer fever. I canít wait for my kids to growup, be in college. Leave my job; pack a supply of writing-pads and Bics and head towards a sequestered place, preferably my ancestral home in our village in the Punjab. Be as far away from reality and yet close to it mentally. A shaded place under a pipal tree would do the trick just fine.

I canít wait for all of that to happen.

To make it come a reality, I have decided to enroll in creative writing courses. I hope this flame not to die.

If any of you have had any experience with writing or editing a book, or short stories, I would like to hear from you. Economists by nature are boring writers, but I think with some courses in writing, I can hone my skills. Regardless of the debonairness of how a story is written, in the end it is the story and not the storyteller.

Ummmm Zaroorat parr gaee naa Humaree http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/rolleyes.gif

neway, you ask for help, I have to help you out http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/wink.gif

NY, why don't you try writing for " Bachon kee dunnia", Taarzan, etc...

I can give you some topics to write though http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/cool.gif

like ahem http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/blush.gif:

[This message has been edited by Jasoos (edited July 05, 2000).]

Comment

NYAhmadi,
      believe it or not,
      what you said is so inspiring for youngsters -- like myself -- to be in touch (mentally) with the situations we face, the peers, family, friends we interact with.
      & just the awareness of basically what's going on around us.

I'm sure you are bound to be a great writer (send me a copy when you've already written one up!!).

You totally have it in you to write what you want. I dunt' think 'the flame' you have will burn out by taking that writing course; rather, it'll define the way you write & make it so clear.
      Though, guys, comeone, it's pretty neat how NY & other particular ppl off of gupshup write. I envy you guys/girls!!

My dad didnt' get a chance to write his political books until maybe 10 yrs back...when his kids (my sibs) began to go to univ/college; he then had more time on his hands. Thouh, life is pretty hectic when the kids are still young. <<then again, whom am i to say!?>>

*Best of Luck in writing NY* http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

Comment

<<To make it come a reality, I have decided to enroll in creative writing courses>>

Yar, Believe me you don't need one, may be you can teach some of us.

Comment

NYA, you don't need to use words like efficacy, apperceives or debonairness to convince us how creative you are.

That's tip no. 1, BTW

As for the creative writing course, let us know how it goes. Sounds like a waste of money IMO.

Comment

Xtreme Yar, I donít think of it as a waste of money. I bought videotapes of Toni Morrisonís lectures, and lemme tell you, it was worth a lot more than I had spent on them. Every pennyís worth.

I donít personally think that creative writing alone is an adequacy, one has to have an erudition, the lore, that propels the stories of people in strange lands. My generation of displaced Pakistanis (and for that matter any other group) possesses this extraordinary knowledge of first hand experiences, which the next generation will only view from a backwoods tube. It is for us to put down our thoughts before they become distant past.

I will avoid using big words. I didnít think that those were such big words. But I take your suggestion to heart.

Comment

Ahmadi yar, I strongly encourage you to go for it. I remeber taking this composition 101 type class back in school, which does not even come near the level of creative writting class you might be taking, but there are still some of the similiarities at the abstract level.

It was an amazing and amusing experience. I learned a lot and I enjoyed it a lot. The assignments given were very useful in finding something motivating to write (I always require motivation to do something ).

I am sure you will love it, and may be we can learn a bit from you as well once you have finished the course.

Comment

Rom Yara, I am looking at two places in NYC that offer these courses. I am leaning towards the New School. They have guest speakers who have written about NYC experiences, including some of those Booker and Pulitzer types. I personally enjoy reading about immigrants and writers who live or lived in a kind of self imposed exile. Some of my favorites are Nabakov, James Joyce, Mavis Gallant, William Trevor.

Rom, you are an English lit guy, you should know that written work is only about servitude to memory. Learning to write can teach one how to free the thought process. We all know stories. I wish we all could write like the great ones.

Comment

yar, meiN badnaam hooN on this English lit thing. Man, I won't know the difference between Woodsworth and John Donne's poetry!

But you are right, reading itself can't make the difference compared to if you take the class and learn to write. Being imaginatively alive is the best thing one can experience by learning to write.

However, I strongly believe that in learning to write, reading comes first. I'm personally not much into writting as it requires dedication and effort, and usually I don't have time. Also, over the time, my inspirations and ambitions have worn out into something more mindless, static, and least contentious. But it's good to see that you have the fire burning.

Comment

NY i know where you are coming from. I liked to write at one point but never had anything published as a matter of fact only a handful of people have ever seen the sheets that those writings are on.

My desire to express a lot of feelings and my take on issues came out in some songs that I wrote and then all the gusy in the band graduated and moved on to different places.

Every so often, i still feel like belting out a tune...but it has been ages since I wrote....you are igniting that desire again.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

>> Every so often, i still feel like belting out a tune...but it has been ages since I wrote....you are igniting that desire again.

O meiN qurban jawaaN aiho jai passionate gal tay

Comment

Originally posted by Roman:
                        O meiN qurban jawaaN aiho jai passionate gal tay
                        toh ho ja qurban...khali khooli zabani jama kharach say kaam naheen banay ga.
                        hmm qurbani ka gosht kahan bhejna hai waisay?

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Fraudia, tumharay bus meiN ho to abhi churee chala do mairay galay pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman:
                            Fraudia, tumharay bus meiN ho to abhi churee chala do mairay galay pay.
                            correction, chain saw...

Comment

Chicago chain saw murderer http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/eek.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X