Are we not worthy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we not worthy??

In another discussion we touched upon a subject that I felt deserved it's own thread. Pretty normal happening around here, huh?

The topic was the London GupShup get together. One particular guppie wondered aloud what his European companion would do if he/she were to attend.

I was rather surprised because the insinuation was that we "pakis" wouldn't be able to provide company for the "European" friend. (Perhaps he meant that he didn't know whether his friend would be comfortable, but then he could have said that if he meant that.)

This is not the first time that I have come across this sort of attitude. And I wanna know why some desi folks have such a difficult time "mixing" their friends from different cultures. More specifically, why are some desis hesitant to mix their desi and non-desi friends?

Muzna....some ppl just think that we're not "up to par" with the other cultures/races in the world.

I personally bring my friends who are not pakistani to pakistani events or desi events. My friends do the same with me when we go to their cultural events. Hell..my best friend is spanish and she knows a few words in urdu/hindi http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

It just depends on the person I guess
    22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

Well if she comes then she wont come with me as a friend. She will be with me as my (pro) wife, we didn't have much good experiences when I took her to different desi meetings. Thats why I asked particularly before-hand rather than feeling embarrassed afterwards. We are definately worthy, but, are we able to accomodate a person from different culture?

Comment

hmm...
        a lot of desis stick to their own kind. You see that a lot at hs/univ/etc where pakistanis, in particular, hang around with other pakistanis.
        I've never understoody why...
        personally, i get sick of the masale smell http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/pukey.gif... *yikes* dun't kill me for saying that!

Muzna, you said: "More specifically, why are some desis hesitant to mix their desi and non-desi friends?"
        Well, maybe the Pakistani from the 'London get-together' post informed that his/her European (caucasian you mean??) friend was coming along so that the other guppos are ready for him/her to come. The thing is, think of it this way:
        let's say it wasn't informed that he/she was coming. Then, when the time comes for you guys to meet-up, you see a 'European' person amongst a totall brown group. And some Pakistanis (not all of them! but some..) may begin to comment or make fun of this 'European' person...you know how some desis/pakistanis can be implicit on their comments where they'd mockingly say in urdu stuff like,
        "Yei Gori yaha kya kari hei.." or,
        "Yei Chipti yaha kya kari hei..." blah blah blah as if he/she wasn't welcomed in the Pakistani London Gupshup gang.

It's just a matter of feeling EVERYBODY welcomed; though, perhaps that thought would've been forgotten by a few Pakistanis cuz of their own ignorancy...

[This message has been edited by kohal (edited July 04, 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by Najim:
          Well if she comes then she wont come with me as a friend. She will be with me as my (pro) wife, we didn't have much good experiences when I took her to different desi meetings.
          Najim bro,
          the answer is very simple :
          just find pak'i people with a partner from a diff. culture.

(for example : myself, NYahmedi)

Comment

Pathwari says :

Najim bro,
            the answer is very simple :
            just find pak'i people with a partner from a diff. culture.

(for example : myself, NYahmedi)
            Interesting answer; basically it is the same as a Paki hanging round with other Pakis because he/she feels more comfortable amongst people with like-minded thinking. i.e., mixed couples will relate to other mixed couples, immimgrants will relate to other immigrants etc etc.

The problem isn't really one of colour but of different cultural ideas.

Example:

1) If Pamela Anderson wandered into Afghanistan clad in a shuttlecock burqa probably no one would bat an eyelid. If, on the other hand, she sauntered into Kabul wearing a skimpy bikini and a cum n' get it sun hat, it would probably cause a bit more of a stir.

2) Similar scenario in London: if Abida Begum turns up at the local swimming pool in a smart swimsuit and a cool pair of goggles I'm sure it would be business as usual for all the pool-side revellers. If however, our Begum turns up in a shalwar kameez with the legs rolled up and proceeds to dive off the highest board, dupatta flapping wildly round her neck, it might well cause a stir amongst the locals, no?

Once more, I come to the rescue of confused Gupshuppers with a demonstrable example of differences in perceptions - and similarities!

No need to thank me...your understanding is reward enough http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

*Eat my shorts Freud*
            Mr Xtreme

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme:
              2) Similar scenario in London: if Abida Begum turns up at the local swimming pool in a smart swimsuit and a cool pair of goggles I'm sure it would be business as usual for all the pool-side revellers. If however, our Begum turns up in a shalwar kameez with the legs rolled up and proceeds to dive off the highest board, dupatta flapping wildly round her neck, it might well cause a stir amongst the locals, no?

[/B]
              I really like this! You are quite an artiste, I must say.... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif Zara

Comment

Working...
              X