Pathan, Pakhtun, Pashtun EXPLAINED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pathan, Pakhtun, Pashtun EXPLAINED

In response to some of the questions like that of " Pakistan Bachao " I thought to put some light on the word Pathan, Pakhtun, Pashtun etc
    The Word Pathan, Pakhtun, and Pashtun all refer to the same people and each of the words have a logic and a background behind it.
    The Words Pakhtun which is also spelled as Pakhtoon, or Pukhtoon refers to Pakhtuns or Pashtuns of the current NWFP and Balouchistan as well as some areas of Afghanistan , While the word Pashtun which is also spelled as Pashtoon or Pushtoon refers to most of the Pakhtun tribes in Afghanistan and some of the FATA tribes. Why the difference ..? Well actually there is no difference. The only difference is that Pashtuns or Pashtoons speak Pashto with a slightly different Dialect than Pakhtuns or Pakhtoons. The main difference is the pronunciation of any word that includes the sounds " KH " like Ghewakha (beef) , Kheza (woman) etc. A Pashtun will pronounce these words with the " Sh " sounds while a Pakhtun will pronounce it with a " kh " sound. For Example a Pashtun or Pashtoon will call beef as " ghewasha" while a Pakhtun or Pakhtoon will pronounce it as " ghewakha " i.e ghewa[sh]a Vs ghewa[kh]a . A Pashtun or Pashtoon will pronounce a the word for woman as " sheza " while a Pakhtun or Pakhtoon will pronounce it as " Kheza " . The word for " O.K " or all right or " Acha " will be pronounced by a Pashtun as " Sha da " while a Pakhtun will say " Kha da " i.e O.K . So the Pathans who use the pronounces these words with a " Sh " sound is a " Pa[sh]tun " and a Pathan that pronounce these words with a " kh " sound is called a " Pa[kh]tun "
    These differences come from both tribal and geographical roots. And though they all understand each other very well while talking, its may not be easy for one to pronounce the words the way the other does. However the vocabulary and the writing is the same.

Now to the word Pathan. This word has roots much older than the British rule over Indo/pak sub continent. This word was first used by the Indian subcontinent people centuries ago. Different historian have traced this word to different roots. Some say it means " People of the high lands " or People of the Mountains. However a lot of historians traces the roots of word " Pathan " to Sinsikrat language(the oldest Indian language). According to these historian the word " Patt or Pat " in Sanskrit means " daughter " and " han " or " Aan " means kidnaper. The story behind this word goes like this .
    There was some Raja, Nawab or king or some royal family whatever who had a daughter that was extremely pretty . Some dashing Pakhtun dude and the girl liked each other but her father was too proud to let the two get together. Anyway in the end the Pakhtun dude ends up Kidnapping the girl from her fatherís palace or home or whatever. Kidnaping in the sense that he breaks in and the two love birds runsaway dodging the guards. So they started to call Pakhtuns or Pashtuns as " PatHan " which means the "Kidnapper of the Daughter(Royal Daughter)". Its Interesting to mentions a lot of my Punjabi friends and their parents have told me that in Punjab they used to scare kids by saying " go to bed now. Pathans are coming and if you donít go to bed they will kidnap you " Or " if you do this or do that Pathans will kidnap you " Hahahahahahaha that was pretty funny to me. However its not funny in nature as it also might be the reason behind the bias in some peopleís mind against Pakhtuns or Pashtuns because they are told in their young years that Pakhtuns are kidnapers and are BAD BAD BAD people etc.
    BTW this Pakhtun (me) did NOT kidnap anybody (YET) hahahaha. Anyways for further information on Pakhtuns, Pashtuns, or Pathans and their culture, traditions, history etc visit my homepage . The URL address of my homepage is http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~pakhtoon

Thanks a million
    Sincerely
    J.M.Khan

[This message has been edited by J M Khan.]

Thanks for the information J.M.Khan. So basically Pathan is a word used by the Indo-Pak people. While the Pukhtoons or Pushtoons dont use it among each other?

Comment

Exactly . You got it..You will never hear a Pakhtun using the word Pathan while talking in Pashto, however it has become a part of Urdu vacubulary so its used in Urdu, Hindi etc
      Sincerely
      J.M.Khan

Comment

Working...
      X