Buying real estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying real estate

Are foreigners allowed to buy/own real estate in UK, US and Canada for investment purposes? What would be a good place to look for such info?

Thanks.
    I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
    I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Re: Buying real estate

In US you can buy anything on cash, well as long as it’s not a port and you aren’t from UAE. But if you are going to get a mortgage, it depends – on amount, job situation, Credit Score etc.
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Yes. Foreigners are allowed to buy real estate in Canada.
      The only stipulation is that you must put a certain amount of downpayment as a minimum. I believe in Ontario, Canada that minimum is 25%.

Please double-check the figure.
      Where such information is available publicly? I don't know for sure. I'll ask around and see if I can find someone to confirm.

Comment

^ The information is available at CMHC

Comment

Thanks guys!

ahmadjee, is the process really that simple and straight forward? I would expect it to be a lot more hassle given the current terrorism concerns. Lets say someone visits US on a business visa, buys real estate and goes back home. Next time he applies for a visa, Uncle Sam refuses (mood swing), what happens to the property then?

Muzna, same question to you too.

What about UK?
          I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
          I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee
            In US you can buy anything on cash, well as long as itís not a port and you arenít from UAE. But if you are going to get a mortgage, it depends Ė on amount, job situation, Credit Score etc.
            Are you serious? Why are people from the UAE excluded? I would have assumed that it's a list of countries, but just the UAE?
            The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

Yes you can. I'd find a lawyer familiar with laws in the US/UK/Europe where ever you want to go and your country. also keep in mind in the US you may have more questions b/c of homeland security...

Comment

^ Umer he meant it scarastic, u know the port deal that was canceled due to US politics.

Comment

I'll offer you $9 for a house. Its all I have.
                  Oh well. *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by SaadiaB
                    ^ Umer he meant it scarastic, u know the port deal that was canceled due to US politics.
                    Oops. Didn't know about that deal.

Anyway: Good to see you back on GS Saadia. How's the baby?
                    The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

Its fine.
                      Oh well. *shrugs*

Comment

I have a number of friends who bought their properties on Green Card, two of them are buying it next month. And a couple that bought being on H1 visa, or somewhere in the middle of H1 and green card.

In case of Uncle Sam’s mood swing, the property is still yours; you can sell it through an agent or rent it through one too. That’s how rich people have vacation condos in every other country.
                        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

a-jee, one needs to be a resident alien, i think. cant buy a house in the US when you dont live in the country. or maybe i'm mistaken.
                          Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Working...
                          X