...An Outstanding Leader...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...An Outstanding Leader...

To give a little background, I work in Information System department of a regional bank, which was acquired by CapitalOne last year. Obviously some position were going to be eliminated due to the merger, including mine. But this is not about me, this is about the director of our department, Mike, A great person. Although I've known him only for about a year, he doesn't act like he's the director, a very friendly yet very serious about his work person. All of his direct report love him.

Today he held a meeting and the whole department attended it. I was talking to him before the meeting started and he was kind of serious, not as jolly as he usually is. In the meeting he announced the date when he's leaving the company as his position is being eliminated. He was thanking all of us for our work and wishing us luck, repeating old stories, as long as 10 years old. At the end of the meeting, almost all of the chicks were crying (only about 4 guys and about 20 women). I was thinking to myself this is what a great leader is like: Someone when he/she leaves, people get upset, yet happy for having spent time with that person. That's the kind of leader I want to be, not the kind where people praise you when you are there but curse you when you're not.

Point of this thread: None really, just wanted to share my thoughts.
    ...I know that which you do not know. (Quran - 1:30)...... Which then of the bounties of your Lord will you deny?...(Quran - 55:13)...
    Shikra was here.

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

leadership isnt just about control,
    it;s about respect aswell
    ur director got alot of respect
    *~*~*Made by اللہ *~*~*

Åchi ßachi Çlub

Comment

He most certainly does. I look up to him. He's a great friend when someone needs a friend and he's a great boss when someone needs a professional advice/help. The way he jokes around with his people and they joke around with him, you can't tell he's the director of the department of 3 states.
      ...I know that which you do not know. (Quran - 1:30)...... Which then of the bounties of your Lord will you deny?...(Quran - 55:13)...
      Shikra was here.

Comment

that's what u need with ur staff a camadri ( i hope i spelt tht rite)
        if u cant luagh and joke, u wont b taken seriously when u have to get down to the job and have to make decisions
        *~*~*Made by اللہ *~*~*

Åchi ßachi Çlub

Comment

Very impressive. It does take alot of courage and some natural abilities to be friendly yet so professional at the same time. The way he gets along with different people shows the quality of this man's character.
          If you have something to say, raise your hand and put it over your mouth.
          A face can say many things. Especially the mouth part.

Comment

^^ so tru
            *~*~*Made by اللہ *~*~*

Åchi ßachi Çlub

Comment

I have learned a lot from him. I silently observe the way he deals with different people. He's my role model and I look up to him. He picks so much on me though, calls me the head of Pakistani mafia, and I in return call him the head of Labanese mafia, as his parents are from there but he was born in US.
              Shikra was here.

Comment

I like that. I had a manager who would use tick me off, but I knew he was doing it on purpose. And he knew that I knew. It is a good technique and that way you can make the employEEE interact with the employERR.
                It is very effective because then you would want to get back at him/her and you knew that it was just to rise that energy level.

Comment

At my previous job, at a retail store, my co-workers used to tease me by calling me a middle eastern and terrorist and illegal foreigner and I used to call them white trash, or other stuff. It is fun and I think it helps you get friendly with your co-workers, rather than just mind your own business which makes a work place really boring. However, at this job, since it's in a big multinational company, I thought people would be reserved and not joke around, but I was surprised to find people here as friendly, if not more, as on my previous job. That just makes the job fun and wants you to go to work.
                  Shikra was here.

Comment

Thats is the thing that makes the workplace worth working in. I still add that little pinch of salt when I talk to my co-workers.

Comment

CHalo yaar kafi serious baatein ho gayin. Lets get funny.

I think I am a nice moderator (yes, that's right), I should become an evil mod
                      Shikra was here.

Comment

Is that an invitation. Lets go

Comment

Yes. I invite guys on fridays only, chicks all other days
                          Shikra was here.

Comment

Ya ok, so how is that new name: Chickna.
                            You seem to like it though

Comment

beautiful
                              Very nicely narrated ...

I am also lucky to have a similar personality as my present Boss and mentor. Although I may mention stupid things and post funny comments about the job and the boss, but the reality is that my Boss, Kevin, is a born LEADER and a really nice gentleman. He is the one who I turn to when I am in need, he never lets me down. He has also saved my ar$e on a few occasions and always told me to move on and just learn from the mistakes.

I am glad to mention that working with Kevin I have learned a lot and also grown out of my inferiority complex and the DESI MENTALITY, all due to Kevin . The desi mentality is to HIDE the facts and try to put the blame on others if you are in a mess. Now I have learned that the best approach is to own it up-front, and Kevin is the man who is behind this change in thinking.

In SITUATIONS, he would act like a big brother and give you the proper dose and then tell you to relax and he will take care of it

If every country in the world is in debt
                              Where the hell did all the money go !!

Comment

Working...
                              X