Pakistani woman dies after forceps removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistani woman dies after forceps removed

HYDERABAD, Pakistan (Reuters) - A Pakistani woman who had a pair of forceps removed from her abdomen after they were left there in an operation a year ago died from multiple complications on Tuesday, a hospital official said.

Shehzadi Shahidi Sultana, 30, had the forceps removed last month when they were discovered a year after she underwent a caesarean operation at a hospital in Jamshoro town, near the southern city of Hyderabad,to give birth to a baby girl.

But as a result of the operation to remove the forceps on February 22 at the same hospital, she developed an infection in her stomach and later died of heart failure from multiple complications, said medical superintendent Khalid Qureshi.

Qureshi told Reuters Sultana's husband and brother had brought her back to the hospital last month after she complained of severe abdominal pain.

The cause of the pain was found to be a pair of forceps left in her abdomen since her caesarean operation, he added.

"We had appointed an inquiry committee to investigate how the forceps remained in her stomach and subsequently five doctors were found responsible for the neglect and suspended," he said.

Police said the woman's brother, Shadab Gul, had registered a case against the doctors with them.

Poor health facilities often lead to complications in Pakistan, particularly in rural areas.

About 30,000 women die in pregnancy or childbirth each year in Pakistan, one of the highest rates of maternal mortality in the world, according to the Asian Development Bank.

Ten times as many develop life-long pregnancy-related disabilities.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07032006/32...s-removed.html
    Don't tell me any of your secrets...even if i am asking you...i would never keep it a secret.

Re: Pakistani woman dies after forceps removed

good gosh! how the heck do you leave forceps..! of all things..forceps in a woman's stomach after she's given birth!! that's just dumb.

i hope the husband/brother of the lady sues the darn hospital. now who's gonna look after the kids? jeez ....

Comment

This happens more than you think, accidently leaving items inside people after surgery.

Comment

^ Don't be so cruel...

The cause of death is due to infections that occured after they tried to remove the forceps during second surgery..... that were by the way there for the last 1 year...

Of note...the first surgery during which they left the forceps was a C-Section,...
        Don't tell me any of your secrets...even if i am asking you...i would never keep it a secret.

Comment

very bad irresposible behaviour

Comment

underthedome - okay..i can understand that you can accidently leave some stuff - like maybe small thing like a ring or watch...but forceps! they are quite big....

goliko - i wonder why it took her a year to feel the pain of the foceps..maybe she went before, and the doctors didn't really do anything about it, until it was too late

Comment

Originally posted by Goliko
              ^ Don't be so cruel...
              I'm not being cruel, it's a fact.

Comment

Comment

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajeeon.

Very sad.

Comment

The Tenth Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) defines a maternal death as the death of a woman while pregnant or within 42 days of termination of pregnancy, irrespective of the duration and site of the pregnancy, from any cause related to or aggravated by the pregnancy or its management but not from accidental or incidental causes.

The approach, with some variations, was used to develop estimates for maternal mortality in 1990 and 1995 and has been used again for generating these estimates for the year 2000. On the basis of the present exercise, the estimated number of maternal deaths in 2000 for the world was 529,000 (Table 1). These deaths were almost equally divided between Africa (251,000) and Asia (253,000), with about 4% (22,000) occurring in Latin America and the Caribbean, and less than 1% (2,500) in the more developed regions of the world. In terms of the maternal mortality ratio (MMR), the world figure is stimated to be 400 per 100,000 live births. By region, the MMR was highest in Africa (830), followed by Asia (330), Oceania (240), Latin America and the Caribbean (190), and the developed countries (20). The country with the highest estimated number of maternal deaths is India (136,000), followed by
                    Nigeria (37,000), Pakistan (26,000), the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Ethiopia (24,000 each), the United Republic of Tanzania (21,000), Afghanistan (20,000), Bangladesh (16,000), Angola, China and Kenya (11,000 each), Indonesia and Uganda (10,000 each). These 13 countries account for 67% of all maternal deaths.

However, the number of maternal deaths is the product of the total number of births and obstetric risk per birth, described by the MMR. On a risk-per-birth basis, the list looks rather different. With the sole exception of Afghanistan, the countries with the highest MMRs are in Africa. The highest MMRs of 1,000 or greater, are, in order of magnitude, Sierra Leone (2,000), Afghanistan (1,900), Malawi (1,800), Angola (1,700), Niger (1,600), the United Republic of Tanzania (1,500), Rwanda (1,400), Mali (1,200), Central African Republic, Chad, Guinea-Bissau, Somalia and Zimbabwe (1,100 each), and Burkina Faso, Burundi, Kenya, Mauritania and Mozambique (1,000 each).

http://www.who.int/reproductive-heal...y_2000/mme.pdf

Comment

Comment

hmmm y did it take 1 yr to feel the pain?

and I could be wrong but don't woman need to see a doc even after delivering a baby?

Its a sad one though..

Comment

Pakistan should develop something like a suing-right for malpractices such as this, so docs hv their eyes open (!?) while operating on someone.

BTW--they can be left inside while putting the stitches, they r tedious so mostly docs tend to forget stuff during that step.
                          Mujhey aurr kuch nahii chahiye, yeh dua'ayein hain meri sayaaban,
                          karri dhoup mein kahein mil sakein, tou yahii chahatein mujhey chaahiyein..!

Comment

Originally posted by evilmastermind
                            hmmm y did it take 1 yr to feel the pain?

and I could be wrong but don't woman need to see a doc even after delivering a baby?

Its a sad one though..
                            ^Yes that's all true....she might be even having the pain too....but in pakistan,who cares even if the patient is dying....doctor community is very selfish there...

Comment

I hate to say this but what were doctor paying attention to that they ACCIDENTLY left the forcep during surgery? :halo:

Comment

Working...
                              X