Boy, 12, Sticks Gum on $1.5 MPainting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy, 12, Sticks Gum on $1.5 MPainting

DETROIT - A 12-year-old visitor to the Detroit Institute of Arts stuck a wad of gum to a $1.5 million painting, leaving a stain the size of a quarter, officials say.

The boy was part of a school group from Holly that visited the museum on Friday, officials say. They say he took a piece of Wrigley's Extra Polar Ice gum out of his mouth and stuck it on Helen Frankenthaler's "The Bay," an abstract painting from 1963.

The museum acquired the work in 1965 and says it is worth about $1.5 million.
    The gum stuck to the painting's lower left corner and did not adhere to the fiber of the canvas, officials told the Detroit Free Press. But it left a chemical residue about the size of a quarter, said Becky Hart, assistant curator of contemporary art.

The museum's conservation department is researching the chemicals in the gum to decide which solvent to use to clean it. The museum hopes to make the repair in two weeks and will keep "The Bay" on display in the meantime, she said "Our expectation is that the painting is going to be fine," Hart said.
    Holly Academy director Julie Kildee said the boy had been suspended from the charter school and says his parents also have disciplined him.

"Even though we give very strict guidelines on proper behavior and we hold students to high standards, he is only 12 and I don't think he understood the ramifications of what he did before it happened, but he certainly understands the severity of it now," said Kildee.

haha...that's hilarious..

the poor kid is only 12 years old though...why should he get punished?

Re: Boy, 12, Sticks Gum on $1.5 MPainting

In the first pic you see the original Frankenthaler painting...A crappy, ink blobbed nonsensical piece of work which idiots ooh and aah over...It really is nothing just paint splattered on to canvas and spread with a butter knife which is now 1.5M $s worth...

In the second picture you see the same painting after a couple of paan chewing Desis made it much more appealing by giving it their personal touch...
    Focus not on who you are but what you do...
    ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Reminds me of when I stuck ding dong chewing gum under Tony Blairs chair in that hall place with green/red chairs.

Comment

Lajawab - hahaha I actually like the second one better!

Comment

The second one has more thought put into it, Lajjo
          If you have something to say, raise your hand and put it over your mouth.
          A face can say many things. Especially the mouth part.

Comment

my kinda guy

he got expelled from school, his mom is really naive though, didnt think it was that big of a deal and she didnt even knwo that it was on the news!
            Q. What do you get from a pampered cow?
            A. Spoiled milk.

Comment

lol.
              I hate both men and women, and am afraid of animals, so basically I am very very lonely.

Comment

well look at the bright side he is already popular

lajo second one is better you forgot to put mucus... we are known for that as well
                Life became all Gray! But NOW i have decided to paint it all over again.

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

Boy has to be forgiven. He didn't think it was a painting, neither do I.

Comment

Lol, the kid must be popular with his peers by now, they better check their mouths for gum before getting them near a painting.

Comment

Atleast he wasn't projectile vomiting on the Group Of Seven paintings.
                      http://www.renewal.org.au/artcrime/pages/mondrian.html

Comment

^ ouch - idiot, thats actualy art by Group of Seven unlike the one above.
                        "The sky is my dome and the earth is my prayer mat"
                        - - -
                        "Verily the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr"

Comment

..Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.. ~IK~

Comment

Working...
                          X