10 Reasons Why We Need To Plant Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Reasons Why We Need To Plant Trees

Now it is seen as the best time to plant trees in Pakistan. Here are 10 reasons to plant trees! A country should have at least 20% of its land under tree cover but Pakistan barely has 5%.

1. Trees save energy and money. Just three trees strategically planted around your home can cut your air conditioning bill in half.

2. Trees save tax dollars. Trees in a city slow stormwater runoff and reduce the need for storm sewers. Tree shade also help cool municipal buildings, lowering electricity bills.

3. Trees cool our cities. Urban "heat islands" are directly related to massive tree-cutting for development.

4. Trees clean our water and air. From low level ozone in our cities to pesticide and fertiziler runoff from our farms, trees absorb harmful pollutants.

5. Trees help community life. Tree planting and community based forestry can add significantly to a local community's sustainable economy while restoring the environment.

6. Trees protect soil. By holding soil in place with their root systems, by deflecting pounding rain with their canopies, and by adding nutrients each fall with their leaves, trees are crucial to keeping and improving our soil.

7. Trees provide habitat for species of many kinds -- including endangered species. A key project of American Forests is "Trees for Tigers" in the Russian Far East that is restoring habitat for the endangered Siberian tiger.

8. Trees can pay your "carbon debt". Planting just 30 Global ReLeaf trees will absorb the amount of carbon dioxide that is generated in the production of energy for the average American lifestyle each year.

9. Trees provide clean water and natural flood control. Forests act as natural reservoirs, and they protect watersheds, providing clean water for cities, bays and rivers.

10. Trees are a beautiful part of our lives. From striking individual trees that are of historic significance or are simply large and majestic, to a grove of trees in a city park, trees enrich our lives by simply being there. Trees are not just a key to the natural ecosystem -- trees are an essential part of community life.

http://www.americanforests.org/resources/10reasons/

Re: 10 Reasons Why We Need To Plant Trees

1 reason why i replied to this thread

1) i want to flood

:.:.:Pakistan Zindabad:.:.:

Comment

^^

me tooooooo

Mer Ishq , Mera Junoon
      Meri Hai Jaan
      *PAKISTAN*

Comment

apun bhi..
        ..Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.. ~IK~

Comment

One reason I replied to this thread:

1) To inform these people if they post here just for the purpose of flooding, warnings will be issued.
          ...I know that which you do not know. (Quran - 1:30)...... Which then of the bounties of your Lord will you deny?...(Quran - 55:13)...
          Shikra was here.

Comment

^^

Mer Ishq , Mera Junoon
            Meri Hai Jaan
            *PAKISTAN*

Comment

Originally posted by Shikra
              One reason I replied to this thread:

1) To inform these people if they post here just for the purpose of flooding, warnings will be issued.
              but every post most people write is flooding
              :.:.:Pakistan Zindabad:.:.:

Comment

Waisay tou I was not serious, but your post has brought up a very good point.

There are 2 things:

1. Just talk and have good time and you may go off topic, which is fine
                2. To announce that hey look, I have nothing to contribute, so I'll just reply for flooding sake.How would you as the topic starter feel? See the difference?
                ...I know that which you do not know. (Quran - 1:30)...... Which then of the bounties of your Lord will you deny?...(Quran - 55:13)...
                Shikra was here.

Comment

excellent response
                  If you have something to say, raise your hand and put it over your mouth.
                  A face can say many things. Especially the mouth part.

Comment

Now getting back to the topic at hand:

The content of this thread is very good, only if people would actually do it. A lot of trees are used to build houses in America, however, people also like to plant new trees. Whereas in Pakistan, we have more people than we have land for them, so they need to cut trees to clear some space. The difference is: A lot of people in Pakistan just don't care about the environment. Look at how people abuse trees in some areas (I've seen students mostly in schools breaking plants etc. just for the heck of it), pollution from diesel vehicles in Pakistan. If government enforced emmission standards on cars, the pollution would be a lot less and we wouldn't need to plant as many trees as we need to know due to pollution.
                    Shikra was here.

Comment

^ i think i have a solution for that..

all those people that are in jails and (i don't know if there's such thing is community service in pakistan) ...but get all of them to go around and plant trees. that should help them with gaining their hours...but again, i'm not sure how the legal system works..so i can't be sure.

Comment

^ That's a good idea. Community service is what Pakistan needs. Not only people in jails, but our elders as well that retire. I mean look at hospitals here, people volunteer. I understand that people in Pakistan are poor and they need to earn money even after they "retire" but isn't volunteering better than sitting on a chaar-payi in the chok with your friends and smoking?

But my concern would be that if those criminals are let out for community service, their leaders would probably get them freed from the Police. Not that they already can't do that from the Police Station.
                        Shikra was here.

Comment

^ i like the elderly idea. why not add children and students to that mix.
                          i know that high schools here make students complete a number of hours as community service. if those hours are not completed by the time your done high school, you don't graduate.

well, shikra, those criminals are gonna come out either way. if their leaders are gonna free 'em, well ..that's another story. but guys/gals that are in jail...i mean, you can shackle them up , and take 'em to a remote area and tell them to start planing seeds for the trees.

Comment

I have sweet memories, when it comes to trees
                            My Grandmother planted a tree outside our house in karachi, on the exact same day that I was born. So my tree and I grew together. It was a BIG HUGE neem. In the scorching summers of karachi, I remember all the ReHri walaz and other guyz on the road used to stop under that tree and rest for a while, so it was sort of a meeting place. Then dadi ammi placed a paani ka Matka , under the tree too. So people could rest AND have a drink of water as well. That tree is still there in karachi, I havent seen it for quite a while now and I miss it

If every country in the world is in debt
                            Where the hell did all the money go !!

Comment

You are right about the community service at school. I had to volunteer at a hospital and complete 60 (I ended up doing more han 300) hours. To bring change in Pakistan, only a few people changing their mentality won't help, the whole system will have to be replaced with new system. But then again, some people will whine that we are copying "gorey". But at least gorey are doing something positive for the community.

If one person tries to be good and tries to do good, 2 people will make sure he doesn't succeed and they'll force him to do bad. To give you an example:

About 4 years ago I went to Pakistan. Going home from airport at 2 midnight, police stopped us on highway. Checked the paper work for the car and found nothing wrong. Then they saw the tinted windows and said they are tinted too much (how can you tell at NIGHT?!?). The driver said no they aren't, they are under the limit. Police said nope, we will have to do kaarwaayi (paper work and a ticket) or you can pay us for drinks as we are thirsty since afternoon. I stepped up and being fond of following the system an honesty, I said give us a ticket if you think it's too much, we'll pay the fine to court. They said well you won't only get a ticket, you'll be arrested. I was surprised. The driver and my uncle asked me to step back and let him handle the Pakistani police and they had to pay them 100 rupees to continue the journey.
                              Shikra was here.

Comment

Working...
                              X