where I am from vs where I am at...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where I am from vs where I am at...

At what point in time do we stop being at a place and start being from there.

I am in Chicago, but cant really say I am from Chicago, since I have barely been here for a year. So I am not a natve, although for all intents and purposes at this time Chicago is my current and future home.

I was able to say that I was from Philadelphia since I went to to uni there and lived there for 5 years or so.

But even now when someone asks, where are you from, my typical response is London, even though I have been living in US for 13 years now.

so it gets kind of confusing...

where is my family originally from: Pakistan
    where am I from: London

while I am not in either of those places and its unlikely that I will be living in either of those places again.

so..the question remains, at what point does one stop being at a place and start being from that place.

Luckily I want to move back to North east US in a few years close to philly and then it would be easier to say that I am from here..

still confused though...growing up in several different countries would do that to one i suppose..

magar kya kehtay hain...phir bhi dil hai Pakistani :>
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Originally posted by Fraudz:
    At what point in time do we stop being at a place and start being from there.
    Hmmm..i guess u could say that there are always two answers to that question, there is where you are living at the moment, and then where your roots are. I guess like alot of things its all relative--for the first answer anyways--, there's no definite line that once we cross we change our perspective. Maybe it just happens gradually, depending on our experiences etc,. Or maybe it just depends on what place feels like its "your own", feels like home-where the heart is maybe???

Hmmm, let me tell u about a close friend of mine.... i think she has given up on trying to figure all that out. Whenever someone asks her where she's from, she asks:'pick a continent' http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif Cuz, u see, her grandparents are from India, her parents from South Africa, she was born in Ireland, grew up in Canada....hehehe i could go on. But seriously, at heart she says she's South african, because thats where she spent her childhood, where the majority of her family is, and because it just is home.

magar kya kehtay hain...phir bhi dil hai Pakistani :>
    http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif
    Yep, i guess u just can't help it http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Girl from Quraysh (edited June 12, 2000).]

Comment

Fraud man the multicultural Laltain!

“No matter where you go, there you are!” (I don’t know who said that, but it is very true).

The best thing you can do is to pick up a little bit of everything from every place fate (for lack of a better word) takes you. You are fortunate to be exposed to so many different cultures. I know people who have never left a 50 mile radius of the place they were born at. I feel sorry for them.

I have been to some places due to school and job, but I consider myself to be a Lahoria (even though I was born in Multan) and I like living in New York City. My kids consider themselves Half Pakistani and Half Greek-Americans. They don’t show a hint of being New Yorkers, and thank God for that!

Comment

NY

a few years ago I was reading an article titled euro kids. It was about families moving across borders in the EU due to jobs and businesses, sometimes several countries in a few years, and then kids going to universities in different countries later on and thus be very european but not very english, or french, or dutch.. a pan european person.

It was interesting.

as far as that comment hmmm was that not by douglas adams? I can try to find out http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

As far as you being Lahori goes. Can you see yourself living there? I spent sometime in pakistan in my tens and spent a considerable time in saudi, but I can not see myself living there.

I guess it has more to do with attachment to a place. because I never looked at Riyadh as home, but Karachi I did even though it was 2 years. and in US although I spent similar amount of time in kansas and Philly, I have no attachment to Kansas but I love philly...

I am just a citizen of this planet.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

>>>They don’t show a hint of being New Yorkers, and thank God for that!

NY, How does one show themself to be a New Yorker?

Comment

Yes Fraud Yar, I would love to go and live in Lahore. You are right, it is the attachment to place one feels. Often times it is natural and sometimes it is just other factors. I be honest, my love for Lahore grew more after I left it. My first college years in London were a killer. Now with job and kids, my perspective has changed. I know that Lahore is not an option at this time, but I am hopeful that some years down the road, it may be an option. A couple years ago, I was contacted by a headhunter to do work in Karachi where they wanted to develop the coastline for tourism development. I seriously considered it, but it didn’t work out, as my wife will have to giveup her pretty good job if we were to move to Karachi.

You are right about Euro Kids, I have many friends who work all over Europe, but in a gamut all of Europe is pretty much the same, except different languages. The transition from London to Brussels is rather painless, and can not be compared with going to London from Lahore, or to Kansas from Riyadh.

Your experience (and your kids when you have them) will be a lot more spacious and extensive than Euro Kids. And if your kids learn a few languages, that will only be an icing on the cake.

Comment

Ghalib my jan, that was a little joke. But there is a “New York attitude” that is prevalent in those who are born here. It is the “competitiveness” engrained in them at a very young age. Then there is the lingo, and Goddamn Yankees and Mets. My kids are exposed to a lot more at this age than an average New York kid.

We went to see Cats yesterday, and my kids are familiar with T.S. Elliot’s work, and they are only 7 and 9, I don’t believe that an New Yorker (at least of their age group) would know that. (I can make that assumption because I volunteer with NYC kids)

Comment

aaah...good post pir sahib http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif i've asked this question myself 2 many times...

born and raised for 13 years in U.A.E...miss that place like anything, and would love to go back and settle there if i get the opprtunity

was in lhr, pk for 2 years...miss that place as well, but i know as a fact that i wouldn't be able to settle no matter what...**sigh**

and here in canada, spent 3 years in toronto, and 2 years in hamilton...and believe it or not, more attached to hamilton than i am to toronto...if i had the choice, i'd live in hamilton http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

as far as parental heritage is concerned...that's a completely different story...dad's from lhr pk...mom's from delhi india...and grandfather (paternal) from palestine who adapted the pakistani culture when he moved to pak http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

so go figure http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif

one thing is never gonna change though...i associate myself to pakistan (perhaps cuz my paternal heritage is pakistani) so i'll alwayz be a pakistani...no matter what...

Comment

>>>..I don’t believe that an New Yorker (at least of their age group) would know that...

Hehehhe....I was schooled in NYC. Hung out there and killed time on the very streets. I still don't know this Elliot dude. And I am not a kid! My dad didn;t bother to take us to plays. We just rented those pirated video tapes from the desi shops and "hot wired" the cable to get our exposure to classics.

Corny joking aside, I agree with you though. NY'ers do tend to carry a sense of attitude with them. A bit of grin on face sometimes and that NY'er accent. Goodfellas-esque.. But thats what NY is all about (Long Island and especially suffolx county aside). If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

p.s. The bumper sticker on my car in Indianapolis used to read:

NYC - We Can Kick Your City's Ass!

Comment

Originally posted by ghalib:
                    [B....I was schooled in NYC. [/B]
                    Son, yeah they schooled ya...I schooled every city I went to

what uni did u go to in NYC? You dont seema columbia type, hmmmm i doubt you would have chosen pace...not adelphi, hmmmm CUNY or SUNY?

bata...

Comment

I agree, it depends on how much do you feel attached to a place. But on the other hand, amount of time spent somewhere is also counts at least from what others look at it.

Over here, I mostly tell people that I lived in Albany for 5 years. Part of the reason is that when you have lived some place that long, people perceive you as knowing more about that place's culture and geography etc, even if you don't feel that attached.

Comment

DesiMunda, That's prolly one of the best-kept secrets of zis world. That the U.A.E is the best place to live on the entire planet. There are oh so many wonderful places, but the emirat have a certain..uniqueness to them. I'd also love to go back there one day if given the opp Insha'Allah.

I think we've got quite a few parrallels. I spent bout fourteen yrs in dubai, two ur three in pak and uk and been in canada for the past couple.

I'm from Azad Kashmir, but grandparents moved to Islamabad and Jhelum coz of unfavorable conditions. And alhough I have an extremely deep n' unexplainable attachment to the emirates and the culture, muh heart n' soul will always be Pakistan.

Comment

oh wow http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

yeaaa elmo...luv that place just cuz of the atmosphere...somethin bout it that's different from all the other middle-eastern countries... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif ehe

Comment

Fraudiya, very nice topic.

Here is a poem on that.

No More Watno Dur

letters that I wrote

to my family

to my friends

in the last one century

were all written

from a foreign land

to the motherland

but the letter I just wrote

about the news of my father's death

is written

from my country to another country

I wrote:

My father left his home a long long time ago

he lived with the dream of

one day returning to his fields

to spend the last of his days in peace

now along with his body

all his dreams are melted into this land

I have dropped his ashes

in icy river water

he has become part of this soil

(Translated from Punjabi)
                            - Sadhu Binning(Vancouver)

[This message has been edited by ChannMahi (edited June 12, 2000).]

Comment

I went to the galli ka coaching center behind my house.

CUNY or SUNY? Couldn;t get accepted to either one.. Community college put me on the waiting list..

Comment

Working...
                              X