The Ripidly Disappearing "Customer Service"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ripidly Disappearing "Customer Service"

As the companies expand and expand and yet expand even more in this fast paced economy, the concept of "Customer Serivice" is becoming to be phased out. What used to be a human voice at the end is quickly being replaced by programmed computer voices that go through tons of "If-Then-Else" routines to find the "best fit" answer to your specific problem.

Its true that these automations have decreased overheads and increased price wars which are good for the consumers, but should it come to this extreme that to get an answer from a human, one must fight through the maze of "pressing buttons" and being extremely patient?

Another issue is the creation of divisions within customer service to , presumably, better assist the customers. Whats up with that?!?

The expansions have prompted companies to divide into divisions which are only able to help you with a specific aspect of the problem? If your problem is complicated enough to span over various divisions, you have to run around every single group by yourself to get it resolved.

Whatever happened to "customer service and satisfaction at any cost"?

Ghalib

its not just that, even when you get to a customer service rep, the last thing on their agenda is to actually be of service.

Its hard to stay calm when some two bit highschool dropout in front of a computer screen does nothing to help you out or gives you the run around. Partially its the hierarcial nature of operations that is to blame which i will write more later on.

Increasingly human contact is important in our warp speed economy and life. We suggest realtime customer service to all of our clients who are setting up or enhancing their web presence.

The customer service must be professional, service oriented and motivated, and for that their should be better compensation, better selectivity and thus better candidates. with current job market and what it has to offer, in most cases a certain group is the only one left to apply for these low paying positions and they are not the cream of the crop but the deposits at the bottom.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I can see how much convenient it can make for the companies to have automated option menus to direct the calls etc. I personally don't see anything wrong with that as long as you get to talk to something human in the end.

I have all good and bad experiences with customer service reps, and it seems to me that in certain industries, the overall service is a lot better compared to others. For example, I have had a lot better experience with my bank than my telephone company. And I bet that customer service rep at the bank are paid more (not to mention trained better) than the ones at telephone companies or other utility organizations (Don't worry, I won't mention INS services here at all, that's a whole different planetary issue).

Sometimes hearing 'This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes' sounds so reassuring, no doubt.

I agree with Fraudia, better training, compensation, and promotion/reward based on quality of calls handled for customer service reps should be the key factors in the development of a client service department.

Comment

"This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes"

This recording is sometimes intimidating especially if the company you're dealing with is extremely automated. Its almost like a warning "don't even think about backing off on what you said before.. we've got you taped.."

Motivation is a key factor here and salary, ummmm..well, is a big motivator. Training is also a big part of the equation.

I've had nightmares dealing with Ameritech (our local phone provider). They were rated dead last in costomer service and yet they have a monopoly in mid west on local phone service. States should fine these companies who leave customers on in ropes because they know the customer has no where else to take their business.

Roman:

yaar.. INS is much better now than it was ten yrs. ago. I know when I dealt with them a long while back, they wouldn't even answer with a straight face. Just recently I dealt with them regarding some family members' immig. and these guys were very helpful and courteous. Even the phone answering system gets answered by a human being. And usually, at a quicker rate than these huge corps.

Comment

you serious ghalib??? really?? man, I can't even begin to tell you the horrible experiences I have had with INS telephone system. I want this to be on record that once I waited for 1 hour and 13 minutes on a phone call to INS, and finally got so furious that simply hanged up.

Well, about the quality assurance message, it has been my personal experience that usually the customer svc is better at the places where they have this message recorded. I am not saying there is any correlation among the two, but it's just have been my overall experience.

Comment

>>>Whatever happened to "customer service and satisfaction at any cost"?<<<

Let me transfer your call to our Customer Relations Department. Trnig….Tring….Tring….

“Please note that our new working hours are 8:30 am to 1:00pm EST from Mon to Wednesday, please call on Thursday. We appreciate your business.”

Comment

Good point Ahmadi yar... and that's another thing that differs among industries. My bank's (and I'm sure this is the case with almost everybody else's bank as well) cust svc department is open 24/7 but my phone company or some other companies' depts open from 8:30-5:30.

Isn't it quite logical to assume that a big chunk of consumer can only contact you in the evening since people are at work and they can't spend an average of 1/2 hour on the phone with you regarding some issue?

There had been many times when I had to call but I couldn't since I was too busy at work during the day and in the evening, the cust svc department was already closed!

Comment

Working...
              X