Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

    The topic of offending cartoons is hot thesedays. Here is another smaller controversy from a LA based conservative talk-radio show.

    Link

    By Michael Muskal, Times Staff Writer

    A local radio personality and a group that says it is fighting to empower American Muslims have squared off over a provocative skit that featured a make-believe traffic reporter covering the hajj, where hundreds of pilgrims were crushed to death.

    Bill Handel, the morning radio personality for KFI-AM (640), set off the furor when he broadcast the skit about a traffic reporter in a helicopter hovering over the hajj, the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, that attracts about 3 million faithful each year.

    On Jan. 12, 363 pilgrims were killed in an accident that Saudi authorities blamed on the dynamics of the crowd.

    Last week, the Southern California office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations called on Handel and the station to apologize for the skit, which the group said poked fun at Muslims. It also asked the station to reprimand Handel.

    "We start at 5 o'clock in the morning offending people," Handel said in an audio statement on the station's website and given over the air. "That's what this show is about. We make fun of everybody. There is no group that is off limits to us."

    Handel said he would apologize to the group but imposed three conditions: The group must condemn all acts of terror; agree that Israel is a sovereign nation and has a right to defend its borders; and that CAIR has no ties to terror organizations or individuals.

    The answer to those demands are "yes, yes and no," said Sabiha Khan, communications director for the CAIR chapter.

    "KFI and Hendel continue to fail to take responsibility for Bill Handel's offensive comments that he made, mocking the tragic deaths of innocent pilgrims during religious rituals," she said today in a television interview.

    "I'm glad he is starting to acknowledge that an apology needs to be made, but it is unfortunate that he has to put conditions on doing the right thing," said Khan, who added that she had heard Hendel's broadcast.

    In a statement on the website, KFI said it "does not condone making light of the deaths of people engaged in religious observances."

    It added that "KFI does not censor its hosts, nor does it tell them what to say or not to say. KFI is a strong and passionate believer in 1st Amendment rights and that is at the very core of this radio station."
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

    #2
    Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

    Why go so far...Go the the thread 'More cartoons'...Look up UTD's post where he uses the unfortunate and tragic victims of a natural disaster in Pakistan to drive home a point...Post #16...


    It's like making fun of someone born with a defect or using him as a crutch in your argument for the defense of hate speech and mockery...
    Focus not on who you are but what you do...
    ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

      ^ so UTD wants to create cartoons celebrating the 70,000 earthquakes death in pakistan..tsk tsk..just goes to see what level of bigotry we are dealing with..
      Adopt me Angelina.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

        Shabash my fellow Muslims. Keep making scene out of every little things that other do related to your relegion and make mockery of yourself and your religion.
        Shame on you !!! This is exact reaction they expect from you and you never disappoint them
        Last edited by fair_&_balance; Feb 6, 2006, 12:28 PM.
        Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.
        Its good to be world champions again.
        And we though Aussies were invincible.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

          Originally posted by fair_&_balance
          Shabash my fellow Muslims. Keep making scene out of every little things that other do related to your relegion and make mockery of yourself and your relegion.
          Shame on you !!! This is exact reaction they expect from you and you never disappoint them
          And we should not disappoint them...

          If someone teases your mother on the street and you smile at them, it gives them more incentive to do more...

          Then they would move to touch your mother, again you just smile and let it go...

          Then they would resort to pinching your mother, then again you'd smile and let it go...

          You get the idea...They do not realize the importance of the Holy Prophet :saw: in a Muslim's life...And since they don't realize (deliberately) they must be made to realize...
          Focus not on who you are but what you do...
          ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

            arent you the same guys who laugh at and praise the killing of jews in suicide attacks.
            blind faith = blind followers

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

              Originally posted by jassoos
              arent you the same guys who laugh at and praise the killing of jews in suicide attacks.
              Jassoos Khan, mocking the Holy Prophet :saw: is a whole different matter...It is a matter of disrespecting (deliberately) the religion of another person...It should be opposed not only by Muslims but anyone who understands that freedom of expression is a responsibility, and those who can't understand where it ends, need to be taught that...

              Otherwise, they'd never learn...
              Focus not on who you are but what you do...
              ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

                I understood your reasoning Lajawab, up until you suggested that mocking the prophet (pbuh) is a whole different matter than laughing and praising the killing of jews in suicide attacks.

                How is one more sacred than the other?

                If you are going to teach respect and responsibility then shouldn't you be teaching it all around? Not just when it suits your religion?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

                  Originally posted by Lajawab
                  Jassoos Khan, mocking the Holy Prophet :saw: is a whole different matter...It is a matter of disrespecting (deliberately) the religion of another person...It should be opposed not only by Muslims but anyone who understands that freedom of expression is a responsibility, and those who can't understand where it ends, need to be taught that...

                  Otherwise, they'd never learn...

                  I am sorry, we are discussing a sensitive issue, but you just cracked me up here, you lived to your name (id) on this forum.....

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

                    Originally posted by Muzna
                    I understood your reasoning Lajawab, up until you suggested that mocking the prophet (pbuh) is a whole different matter than laughing and praising the killing of jews in suicide attacks.

                    How is one more sacred than the other?

                    If you are going to teach respect and responsibility then shouldn't you be teaching it all around? Not just when it suits your religion?
                    It is a diffrerent matter because that is a fight for land and religion...I don't know about the laughing (never seen it) but some praise it, some are neutral and some oppose it...(All have a valid reason for their actions)...

                    However, a newspaper like Jang, or Dawn in Pakistan running a competition to see who makes the funniest picture of the holocaust or 9/11 or 7/7 will be given a reward is doing nothing but inciting hatred and misunderstanding...

                    That's why these two matters are different...Suicide bombing is an act of a people in desperation...

                    What was the reason behind these cartoons?
                    Focus not on who you are but what you do...
                    ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

                      Originally posted by Lajawab
                      And we should not disappoint them...

                      If someone teases your mother on the street and you smile at them, it gives them more incentive to do more...

                      Then they would move to touch your mother, again you just smile and let it go...

                      Then they would resort to pinching your mother, then again you'd smile and let it go...

                      You get the idea...They do not realize the importance of the Holy Prophet :saw: in a Muslim's life...And since they don't realize (deliberately) they must be made to realize...
                      Shabash what a comparision.... !!! How logical !!!! Good job caveman.

                      Keep doing it and keep making fun of Islam and Mulsims all over world. People like you just prove that Muslim still live in 700 century.
                      Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.
                      Its good to be world champions again.
                      And we though Aussies were invincible.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

                        Originally posted by Lajawab
                        And we should not disappoint them...

                        If someone teases your mother on the street and you smile at them, it gives them more incentive to do more...

                        Then they would move to touch your mother, again you just smile and let it go...
                        Originally posted by Lajawab
                        Jassoos Khan, mocking the Holy Prophet is a whole different matter...It is a matter of disrespecting (deliberately) the religion of another person...
                        Every muslim cause seems to be worth fighting for, until you read this kind of bigoted, emotional black mailing driven rhetoric. We swiftly move from making light of muslim deaths to our mothers on the street and on to the disrespect for our prophet and in the process accept belittling non-muslims deaths in a single breath. Excellent examples of how NOT to express your support for a cause.
                        I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
                        I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

                          Originally posted by Scratch
                          Every muslim cause seems to be worth fighting for, until you read this kind of bigoted, emotional black mailing driven rhetoric. We swiftly move from making light of muslim deaths to our mothers on the street and on to the disrespect for our prophet and in the process accept belittling non-muslims deaths in a single breath. Excellent examples of how NOT to express your support for a cause.
                          How about putting it in simple words for simple people like me to understand...

                          I can't understand what you are trying to say...
                          Focus not on who you are but what you do...
                          ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

                            Originally posted by Lajawab
                            That's why these two matters are different...Suicide bombing is an act of a people in desperation...

                            What was the reason behind these cartoons?

                            We are not criticizing suicide bombers.....we are talking about comparing the cartoon which makes fun of something one party holds near and dear to the mockery that is made of Jewish people dying at the hands of the bombers.

                            If one group finds humour in the killing of Jews, then why should not another group find humour in this cartoon that mocks the prophet (pbuh)? It's six of one half dozen of another.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Local Radio Skit Sparks Muslim Controversy

                              Originally posted by Lajawab
                              Jassoos Khan, mocking the Holy Prophet :saw: is a whole different matter...It is a matter of disrespecting (deliberately) the religion of another person...It should be opposed not only by Muslims but anyone who understands that freedom of expression is a responsibility, and those who can't understand where it ends, need to be taught that...

                              Otherwise, they'd never learn...

                              nah Lajawab, it is basically the same thing. Occupation of Palestine by Israel (who has over 200 nukes, 200000 auto-machine gunned army, about 3000 tanks, over 420 Planes). Compared to mere 2000 Hamas military freedom fighters.

                              Originally posted by jasoos
                              arent you the same guys who laugh at and praise the killing of jews in suicide attacks.
                              when you are under siege, when as a child you grow up seeing, smelling, listening, and touching death - then you end up losing the ability of what is right and what is wrong. Infact then it doesnt matter, as these childeren then only have one thing in mind --> and that is revenge.

                              People of Israel, if they want could stop the masacre by their forces of Palestinians, instead what they want is quite obvious. By electing Sharon (the same person under whose watch the Genocide occured), People of Israel have shown there true colour.
                              "The sky is my dome and the earth is my prayer mat"
                              - - -
                              "Verily the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X