Rushdie ===>> India : The Worm returns to the Soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rushdie ===>> India : The Worm returns to the Soil

Creepy author Salman Rushdie has returned to India for the first time since his apostasy. Rani, Queer and the rest of the hindu Hair Bear Bunch are always telling us how proud muslim Indians are of their nationality.

I bet they feel real proud now eh? http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

the zombie's tour is being serialised in The Times. I will do my best to keep you guys updated.

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but is the Fatwa against him still active?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme:
      Rani, Queer and the rest of the hindu Hair Bear Bunch are always telling us how proud muslim Indians are of their nationality.

I bet they feel real proud now eh? http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

Ummmm.... being proud of your nationality/heritage and being proud of your government are two different things. Of course there is very little anyone does or can do to change either of them http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/wink.gif
      Somehow I don't think there are a great many Pakistanis whose bosoms swell with pride about their government, even if once in a while citizens feel their government has made the right choice. Politicians on both sides of the border are nothing to boast about.

Or are you telling me you are real proud of what is going on in Pakistan????

Comment

>being proud of your nationality/heritage and being proud of your government are two different things.<

exactly.

what did british and american muslims feel like when "the worm" was allowed to take refuge in their country? Xtreme, how did you brits feel?

Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Yes please keep us updated Mr. Xtreme. His well-being is of xtreme importance to us http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif (joke). But seriously Mr. Xtreme, shame on you for not doing anything when the British government gave him shelter !!
          I also think it would have been a huge blow to secularism if he had not been allowed in the country -- it would have meant that policies have been dictated to by religious elements -- and that is not secular according to me !!

Comment

Back to the land I love

In the first of a three-part series on his return to India, Salman Rushdie describes the pain of exile and his first days back after the 'dark decade'

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/p...afea02004.html

Charlie Rose had a special program last Thursday on PBS on Salman Rushdie's visit to his home country India.

Comment

Designer: >> Sorry if I sound ignorant, but is the Fatwa against him still active?

Don't think so, but I don't think he'll be touring Pakistan or Iran just yet.

Husain: >> Ummmm.... being proud of your nationality/heritage and being proud of your government are two different things.

That doesn't change the fact that the government should be accountable to it's people...after all - it is elected by the people. When Rushdie walks on that Indian soil he is walking all over the feelings of the Indian muslims. Or should I say slithering all over their feelings http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

queer >> what did british and american muslims feel like when "the worm" was allowed to take refuge in their country? Xtreme, how did you brits feel?

Cheated, quite frankly. in the interests of freedom of speech they should have made his home address public knowledge. that way his muslim fans would have known where to point the cross-hair.

BK >> I also think it would have been a huge blow to secularism if he had not been allowed in the country -- it would have meant that policies have been dictated to by religious elements -- and that is not secular according to me !!

I am in complete agreement with you my secular friend http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif I and the gun makers of Peshawar would like to see rushdie come to Pakistan also. I am sure he would find a marvellous reception comittee waiting for him http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

Comment

Xtreme,

>>I am in complete agreement with you my secular friend I and the gun makers of Peshawar would like to see rushdie come to Pakistan also. I am sure he would find a marvellous reception comittee waiting for him<<

It doesn't take courage to kill anybody otherwise criminals would be the most courageous people living on the planet. On the contrary it takes courage to stand up and make your case and come with sane arguments to defeat your opponent.

It seems that British have different views of freedom of speech and individuals rights than yours.

India is not Saudi Arabia, we respect everybody's right of freedom of speech including Rushdie's.

Comment

Rani

>>India is not Saudi Arabia, we respect everybody's right of freedom of speech including Rushdie's.

Tell that to Deepa Mehta whose film was halted b/c it showed hindu widows in a bad light. It seems the authorities in India are only concerned about protecting the feelings of the majorty religion in this case. I am sure you agree.

Comment

"Tell that to Deepa Mehta whose film was halted b/c it showed hindu widows in a bad light."

Or tell that to Pradeep Dalvi whose Marathi play on Nathuram Godse was disrupted and banned because it was "pro-Hindu" and made a statement against "appeasement of minorities". It seems the athorities in India have double standards when dealing with plays/films with a pro-Hindu tilt. I am sure you'll agree, Mr. Xtreme. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BombayKid (edited June 13, 2000).]

Comment

>>Tell that to Deepa Mehta whose film was halted b/c it showed hindu widows in a bad light.<<

I saw the movie you are refering to actualy it shows Indian men in bad light it is not about hindu widows, movie doesn't have any religious overtones, it is about Indian society. The movie is avilable on the video shops in India and in North America and nobody is going after Deepa Mehta with guns made in Delhi. Infact I think she is a very talented artist.

[This message has been edited by Rani (edited June 13, 2000).]

Comment

Rani

This is what you said

India is not Saudi Arabia, we respect everybody's right of freedom of speech including Rushdie's.
                        How does this stand up to this article written by one of your own countrymen?

=======================================

Indian protests at film ban
                        Deepa Mehta flanked by members of her cast

By Daniel Lak in Delhi

Indian filmmakers and commentators have condemned the decision to stop filming on the controversial Indo-Canadian film, Water (Starring Shabana Azmi and Nandita Das), in the Hindu holy city of Varanasi.

They say it is a setback for the country's image abroad and its hopes of getting foreign movie companies to shoot their films in India.

This is cultural fascism ,Mahesh Bhatt, film director

The state government of Uttar Pradesh ordered the suspension of filming on Water for two weeks after protests by some hardline Hindu groups and extremist political parties.

They had protested against the script of Water and continued to do so despite changes and the full approval of the government in Delhi.

Director hits back

Speaking in a BBC interview, the director of Water, Deepa Mehta, said the protests against her film were orchestrated, politically motivated and absolutely no threat to law and order, as the state government said when it ordered the suspension of filming.

===========================================

Now you tell me:

Is this what you call respecting everybody's freedom of speech??

Comment

quite true. the UP govt was undoubtedly biased. and it is quite possible that if it had been a congress govt at the center, rushdie wouldnt have been visiting bombay. all that means is, BJP aint gonna get votes from rushdie haters next time, unless the congress still maintains the possibility of an italian PM for india. i dont see indian muslims turning against india..
                          Simple ain't easy.

Comment

:UPDATE:

Worm blasts BJP

=============================================

Rushdie Quote on recent tour to India:

[quote]The BJP is the political manifestation of the extremist Hindu movement, the RSS (Rashtriya Swyamsevak Sangh), rather as Sinn Fein in Northern Ireland is the political offspring of the Provisional IRA. In order to change the BJP, Vajpayee would have to carry the leadership of the RSS with him. Regrettably, the opposite is happening. The relatively moderate RSS chief Professor Rajendra Singh - "Rajju Bhaiyya" - has been ousted by the hardline K. S. Sudarshan, who has started warning Vajpayee to toe the RSS line.

The Prime Minister's options are limited. He could give in and unleash the dogs of religious strife. He could try doing what Indira Gandhi brilliantly carried off in 1969, when the kingmakers of the Congress tried to turn her into their puppet. (She resigned from her own party, formed the Congress-I or Indira Congress, took most of her MPs with her, called a general election and destroyed the old guard at the polls.) Or, as seems most likely, he could soldier on until the next election and then stand down. At that point the BJP's moderate mask will slip, it will no longer be able to hold together the kind of broad-based coalition of the sort that presently underpins its hold on power, and, given the shambles the Congress Party's in, India will enter another phase of splintered, unstable governments. It's not a happy prediction, but it's what the probabilities suggest. And it's a good enough reason for keeping away from BJP apparatchiks, however low-level they may be. [/b]

=============================================

Tut tut. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Comment

Xtreme is back and is in full swing.
                              So what if Rushdie is visiting his homeland? I think it is commendable on the part of Indians to have him over. I think He should visit Iran (undercover, of course) to write something about the freedoms denied to individuals in that country.

Comment

Working...
                              X