Dupattas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dupattas

They can be beautiful but they can be a nuisance. For everyday work they can even be dangerous (for example, in the kitchenm where they can catch on fire rather easily).
    But wear a Shalwar Kamiz without one and you are the target of comments galore and it seems like it is immoral to go around without one, even if your clothes are generously cut.
    So....
    Many girls prefer wearing western style clothes so that they don't have to wear the dupatta. Is that the only way out?

Dupattas are to wear on HEAD in public..not in kitchens...it should be worn in front of PARAYEE MEN(strange men) not in front of your own house hold..i mean nothing wrong with that..but IT SHOULD BE worn and girls should try to wear them in front of other men that they dont know or are not from their family...as off they show sharmoo haya in a girl...and *****es who put dupattas in their neck instead of head are just looking for some Finn!
    You know if our muslims women are bad than we muslim MEN can never be good..you know why because a man first school is a women (mother) and if she is bad than there is NO other school that can put that child on right path...it was said back in some century i dont know...
    some jews captured some scholar and they told him that from NOW on there will be no scholar like you....and than that scholar asked them why is that they told him that they will put "fehshi" besharmii and corruption in the heads of your sisters and daughters they will fall in love and do all sorts of un islamic things...and if you look at us muslims today same thing is happening to us...
    In british parliment some guy held quran in his hand and told all of the british pigs...that they cant beat muslims in war..only way they can beat us is through putting bad things in our society and in core of our development today same thing is happening we are out numbered but we are a bad as non muslims..just because of our mistakes.
    *understood most of what i said was out of topic and you didnt wanted to read it...but im sorry i was just trying to make some point...that the base the CORE development where we learn our basic things about life and how to live is our mothers and if they go astry there is nothing else which can make us come on right path..and non-muslims have done a great deal of work in accomplishing that task of corrupting us they are doing it sill http://www.pak.org/gupshup/frown.gif

again sorry if i went to far on this thing....just had to let it out...

Jaawan

------------------
    Till next time***Keep_It_Simple_Stupid***©

[This message has been edited by Jaawan (edited May 21, 2000).]

Comment

Pakistani dress is not for workman(or woman)
      Ladies have the added dupatta. For obvious reasons that has never been an issue, cause working has never been a real concern to us. We dont , and are proud of that.
      It has been said so many times...Modesty is to protect yourself from the dirty eyes.It wouldnt happen with a dupatta.
      Without a change in social behaviour, i.e individual sophistication , and concept of roles.....improved communication , which allows ppl to become humans ,not bodies walking around....and, accepted vents for basic needs,,, it just wont happen.....dupatta, hujab, burqaa or restriction in chaar dewarri just wont work. It doesnt clean the dirty eye..

Comment

Iím confused about this topic - are we talking about dupatta or hijab? There is a big difference.

Iíll stick with dupatta, itís needless to say that they are beautiful. As for dupataís being dangerous, I think it is an issue in Pak where ppl cook on open fire, even there most women work with their dupataís on, even tandoor walis wear dupata while working, that must be for hygienic reasons I guess

Anyway wearing Shalwar Qamiz without dupata doesnít look good on anyone, Iíve seen women of all ísizesí doing this, it look equally bad on all of them. Dupata is a natural part of Shalwal Qameez. As for pplís reaction, well I think it depends on how your shalwar or rather qameez is. My mother often says ke jis libas meiN aap ko dekh ker aap ke Abbu ya bhai ko nazar jhukani paRe woh sahi nahiN ho sakta Ė and I think sheís right. Also our elders still canít expect íbehayaií in Shalwar Qameez so they react when they see a dupata-less sister. Whereas itís quit normal for them to see girls in tops etc so they donít react.

Re. Many girls wear western cloths because of dupata, is probably not quit true Ė wearing shalwar qameez makes you look different from others, especially if that is your everyday dress. This means that youíll have to explain your choice to your colleagues, your friends and your boss. And youíll end up discussing your religion and culture much more then many other desi sisters, which is good if you know your cultural history and religion. Plus you probably wonít have same options as others etc etc. So it means that you have to be extra strong and you have to fight more then other sisters wearing western cloths, at least when you apply for a job. So another reason for wearing western cloths could be that our sisters donít want to fight, or feel more comfortable in western cloths, or thatís what they have learned to wear etc etc.

As for other options, as said before I donít like shalwar qameez without dupata. So if that is the problem one can either wear scarf with shalwar qameez, or wear western.

>>Pakistani dress is not for workman(or woman)<<

Wrong, Pakistani dress can beat any dress anytime; it looks nice on everyone from businesswomen to tandoor wali masi. You just have to know how to wear it, like most other dresses.

Comment

Whatever!!!!...but I simply Love them...especially the Long ones......they just look so enchanting ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jaawan:
            and *****es who put dupattas in their neck instead of head are just looking for some Finn!
            I agree with you for the most part however I what i want to know is that are the dupattas supposed to be on the head of the female all the time ?? I've seen that about 80% of women have their dupatta on their neck .. remember it's not a hijab .. it's a dupatta.

Comment

Jawaan said: You know if our muslims women are bad than we muslim MEN can never be good..
              well that is a case of conveniently moving the blame, friend! Could you say that if muslim men are bad then muslim WOMEN can never be good?

both are true yet neither is; shoulder responsibility for your own actions instead of shifting the blame!

Comment

Well abviously you didnt read all of my reply or i just forgot to mention something...its not about blaiming its not about that...its more deeper than that...just think little harder to understand it.
                Again a child's FIRST school is his or HER mother if his or her mother is NOT a perfect muslim or doesnt know the proper aspects of sharmoo haya how do you expect the child to be good muslim and have some sharmoo haya???As it is the first learning school where we all learn the basics about manners and behaviors is from our mothers...If lets say a mother goes out shopping with her daughters she is wearing well shalwar kamez and he dupaata is in her neck hanging there with some sort of purpose...HOW DO YOU EXPECT HER DAUGHTERS TO BEHAVE...if she doesnt do whats she is soppose to how do you tell your kids to do what you dont like doing???
                If you know how to read urdu pleaseeee read this book it details how non-muslims planed to ruin our base our first learning schools(muslim ladies)the book is called Daastaan Imaan Feeroshoon Ki
                I will give you the summery of some details that are in that book later...

Jaawan

------------------
                Till next time***Keep_It_Simple_Stupid***©

Comment

Well I think we are going off-topic.
                  We are not talking about hijab.
                  I started this because I am one of the few desis I know who wear sharwar kamiz almost always. I find it a practical, modest and comfortable way to dress. When I ask my friends and acquaintances why they don't (they prefer trousers or jeans and shirts) the complaint is usually about the dupatta and how unpractical it is. I personally solve the problem by not wearing a dupatta in the house (unless we have vistors) and just keeping it for going outside (removing it also while driving), but I was told that is not the correct way to wear my clothes... If I wear a Shalwar kamiz I MUST wear a dupatta... so I guess if I am forced to wear a dupatta in the house I too will start wearing jeans more often!

Comment

Working...
                  X