Preserving DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preserving DNA

I read an article today about DNABanks in USA. They are involved in the collection and long term storage of DNA taken from the dead.

Families are paying rates like US$350 for 25 year and US$595 for 75 year storage of DNA from their loved ones with the intention of using it to detect heriditary illnesses and potentially cloning.

Apparently the technique involves taking a swab from inside the mouth (i.e. the cheek), mainly saliva and cold storing it until such time as it can and need be used. The family member(s) can access this sample via a password that is assigned. Exaclty like a bank account.

How ethicial is this?

Originally posted by Muzna:
    How ethicial is this?
    Ethicial kya hota hai?

I dunno, I dont see anything wrong with it especially if it can be used for health reasosn later whether it is to track genetic illnesses or whatever. I dont even mind cloning.

This is a bit more practical than the companies making corpse-icles, which freeze people (or if you are on a budget, just the head) in hopes that they could be brought back to life sometime in future.

With thr first burial planned on the moon...and things of that nature, we will be forced to expand our view of what is ethical and what is not.

My question is...what if when they collect the saliva sample I have just eaten and have juices of a gyro still in mah mouth...would that not just freak the future generations when they analyze the sample...

Anyone seen The Fly?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Scientists are very close in finishing the mapping of the entire DNA pool. After that job is done, there won’t be need for preserving DNAs, since all defects (for lack of a better term) will be determined by analyzing one’s DNA pool.

Back to Muzna’s question about it being Ethical. It will be unethical if the sample is retrieved without consent of the family of the dead person. Sincce it only involves hair or saliva sample, it is not an “intrusion” into one’s body (which for some may pose some religious issues).

I believe it is OK.

I don’t believe that cloning is ethical. By cloning Humans (or animals) science takes out the influence of nature in the birthing process.

Comment

Medically its sound, but for the purpose of cloning, its ridiculous. We dont need a monotonous world. and besides, that would only further discourage marriage and legal unions, and would further encourage single women adopting babies, in addition to gay and lesbian couples doing the same....as if thats not happening enough already.
        But as far as medicine and health goes, I dont think there should be any limit as to how far one can go in researching and taking precautions.

Comment

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. As a matter of fact, I think it's a great idea as it would aid in fighting the disease.

The whole clonning issue is more complex than that. I think it's a bit premature to declare clonning as completely unethical at this point. It certainly does raise grave concerns but we can't say anyting about something happening 75 years from now. That's a bit too far ahead to look at it from each angles, generally speaking.

Comment

Working...
          X