Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Wanna Reach Out....

..and do something for the community.

Ok now! I'm not Ghandi or Eidhi...I just wanna do something quick and dirty woops! I mean just make a little difference rather than making no difference at all. Any suggestions...

ciao,
    BoSS
    Note to self: Last time I Reached Out a little too far ahem! she didn't like it.

join Outreach services in your area...

Comment

Boss sir jee,,
      A few days back talking about screwing up..
      Aaj reaching out....
      This is becoming a text book example of dealing with guilt...
      Ppl reach out to give , or to take...
      she was mad cause you were reaching out to take...

Comment

....do reach-out but don't breach-in!!!!

Comment

Boss Yar, the first step in wanting to do something about community is “wanting”, at which stage you are at. Next step for you should be to look into what needs to be done, and for that there are many resources. Your neighborhood library can be an excellent source. If you tell me your age, job, and other details, I can give you some ideas. I volunteer with my neighborhood orgs with things as delivering meals to the homeless, helping elderly with their shopping and healthcare needs, doing projects with local cubsouct pack, coaching kids soccer.

Good luck and if you haven’t done it before, I can guarantee you that volunteering will be the best thing you can do. It may only take 2-4 hours a week of your time, but those will the most satisfying 4 hours.

Comment

Having some insight into your personality, I would strongly suggest that you look into volunteering as a Big Brother. It will allow you to have "scheduled" time, thereby not interfering with your regular duties and obligations and will give you some "fun time" as well.

One of the projects on my "To Do List" is to work with the existing organization and develop a program that will reach into the South Asian community.....perhaps you can help me with that......

Comment

how about getting a new life, it'll do wonders for the poor souls that are already stuck with you.....

------------------
              Hey, Who stoped the payments on my reality cheque?

Comment

libra,

Maybe I've read your post wrongly, but that sounds like a very discouraging thing to say........

Comment

Libra... don't fall for the lines in betweens here, but seek for the positve side of things. Maybe it may help us all to live and let others breath. Peace!

As for ideas BoSS Bhai... hmm... how about voluntering to blow bubbles for little kids of the community and babysitting them http://www.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif That way the aunties will have lots moments to spare for themselves and go shopping/waping? They'll take a liking to u in an instant! Mark my word on it http://www.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif

Adios *diplomacy*
                  DB

[This message has been edited by Daysee Behna (edited May 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Daysee Behna (edited May 19, 2000).]

Comment

oh goodness......babysitting is sooooooooo much fun!!!

it's so much fun that, i'll do it free -- hence ~~> volunteering.

i know a lot of ppl in my (muslim)community reach out by cleaning up the mosque regularly, helping out with setting-up for large dinners, coming to unlock the masjid gates for namaz <<we're not a 24/7 mosque yet..>>.
                    & being head of the univ. msa/youth group/ executive @ large.

stuff like that. i know i've enjoyed doing some of those things & i've also, personally, enjoyed in being reminded that there are really really nice/good ppl out there....

Comment

Kohal I agree with u about the baby sitting. Its so fun trying to keep a pack of 10 kids age range 5-11 yr old, and take them to the park. uff!

Oh here's a real easy tip BoSS... I know it may not make a huge difference, but still somewhat. Its just a realistic one. If one is unable to find the time, or too occupied to do big... do this... keep an empty jar somewhere, on it stick a note, drop change in here. Every time ur wallete gets too full of pennies, nickles, dimes that irritates u or whatever, drop 'em in the jar... and tell rest of those who'd love to get rid of their change too... u'll notice by the end of two months or 3 it will fill up so good. Take that money, dump it in the local community charity box, or if u want take it to some other place, or get the money buy something with it and visit the sick children in the hospital or the seniors that are ditched by their children, talk to them, give them what u've bot with the money, tell them jokes, give them company. Take flowers to them. U'll feel so o o o good about urself, that u have made a difference in someone's life, just by listening to what they have to say. Donate blood http://www.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif tehee.. No seriously. If u want to make a difference, go by ur preference if u have specific ones. But if I were you... I wudn't descriminate, and just do any volunteering for a good cause. It makes us feel so big... when we know that atleast there's one person that we've made a difference for. Sometimes, u'll find little kids around.. those who need someone to look up to, someone to confide their fears with... or just someone who'll guide them, and want to play with them.... if u're family friends have kids ask them if u can help them sometime... there are lots of ways to get involved with the community out there... offer ur technological skills to areas where they can be applied... get involved with new comers who are studying in universities etc, guide them and give them advice and relate ur experiece in the west to them... make them feel at home... organize outings for the seniors of our community... get intouch with the new comers from Pakistan... its hard for them to feel at home here, why not organize gatherings where they all can meet the likes of them, and u'll meet so many neat ppl through this method. Huh I can go on when it comes to ideas. I've got more... if u can specify exactly what u'll enjoy doing, maybe we can help u get somewhere. How's that?

Till then,
                      Fi Aman Ullah!
                      DB

Comment

Originally posted by Muzna:
                        libra,

Maybe I've read your post wrongly, but that sounds like a very discouraging thing to say........

Nope you didn't read anything wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X