Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Year 2000 Problem.

Hellow Every body '

As we know that, the Year2000 problem has occured throughout the word.
    1) Is Pakistan also facing this problem.
    2) Is it possible to over come this problem, where we have no many days left.

Barkat Saheb,

The millenium issue is global -- more so where an automated industry, controlled by computers is present.

Though many PC based systems are Y2K compliant, those organizations still operating on mainframes require some work.

With respect to Pakistan . . .yes, there are numerous concerns that remain. However, several companies have been progressive and have found a methodology to resolve issues.

Is there a specific area of industry or technology that you are concerned about? Please elaborate.

Comment

I've read about these problems a no. of times. Though I'm not aware of any solution, but I do have a way of checking wether your computer will be affected or not. Just go up to the calendar section of your computer and start forwarding your years. If your computer years go beyond 2000, you aint got no problem. But if it doesnt you're into a bit of fix.
      I know mine goes way beyond 2000, but too bad, I wana get rid of it.

Comment

Please tell me honestly - apart from computers is anything else really affected by the year 2000 - it's just like going from 1997 into 1998 to me

Comment

A lot of cars, microwaves etc have chips which cannot go beyond Year 2000. I am just working on a Millenium Comliance Project for one of our clients.

Basically anywhere you need to use time e.g. a video recorder (to record programmes) you have a potential hazard. This is especially serious for power companies, financial companies and health organiszations e.g. hospitals.....

Pardon the UK style spelling for all yanks amongst you.

Navid

Comment

Navid does this mean that i need to get my video recorder checked out? I don't use the timer.
            What about my camcorder?

Comment

Don't you think Bill Gates is working on it right at the moment? I think he will probably sell it or rather black market the product and will become even richer

Comment

Noshin i don't trust Bill Gates he gave my computer a virus http://www.pak.org/gupshup/frown.gif

Comment

It is unlikely that you'll have a problem with your video recorder unless you want to record a program that starts in 1999 and ends in 2000 i.e if it goes over into the next century.

In a nutshell wherever you need to use a time period that starts in this century and ends in the next you've got a potential problem. Billing systems are an example.

I believe there is a lot of hype around this whole year 2000 problem and many companies are milking it for all it's worth. There is a lot of money to be made in year 2000 projects by consultancy companies and the like.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

will I have a year 200o problem with my abacus?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X