Respecting political leaders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Respecting political leaders.

Bush is a jackass, a hypocrite and sleaze ball. Though I respect the republican philosophy of smaller government and personal freedom, I just don't like the people who have taken up the responsibility to hold that philosophy.

Nehru was an average politician, a playboy of Clinton's league and got in politics on family connections, though he was mainly responsible for India what it is today. Without his strong emphasis on secular democracy, India would have been a basket case. His economic policies were a dump but still better than Gandhi's self sufficiency. He was partly responsible for partition but I don't think he participated in it intentionally. I wouldn't hesitate calling him a 'great man' or Gandhi for that matter.

The politically vocal Indians that I know (which aren't that many, other than those on gupshup) consider Jinnah a hawk who was a sell out to British in dividing India and anything but secular. My take on Jinnah is very different but who cares.

The point is, political leaders come and go, though (their) political ideas stick with us for long. So, while I don't care if Indians consider Jinnah a 'sellout' or a 'great man' .. what matters is that are they ready to look beyond partition, to the future and take Pakistan for what it is ... a (politically volatile, highly energetic, overly militarized but somewhat similar) neighbor?
    Last edited by ahmadjee; Jun 8, 2005, 12:20 PM.
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Re: Respecting political leaders.

YOu forgot insignificant AJ...in the future... Pakistan's significane will depend on whether it chooses to emulate)west or east. ( we are talking a couple of thousands miles here or there)
    Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

Bhaijaan, that's another problem with Indians. They try to ignore Pakistan but can't get enough of talking about it. You can claim to be the poster child for that segment.
      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

You spoke about the future bhaijaan...are you the poster child of anachronisms? If so..look only 100 miles from Pakistan's western border and see your future.
        Last edited by Pinstripe Danda; Jun 8, 2005, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee
          Though I .... I just don't like.... but I don't... I would hesitate.

.... that I know .... My take on...

... I don't care....

Two questions for you Ahmadjee Bhaijan.

(1) Did you read my post about on Pomposity and I-this syndrome?

(2) What is it that you are trying to discuss in this discussion?

Comment

^ Two answers for you Madu bhaijaan,

1) No.

2) Disrespecting or praising political leaders doesn't mean anything, especially the dead ones. It is the political ideas that matter.
            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by Madhanee
              Two questions for you Ahmadjee Bhaijan.

(1) Did you read my post about on Pomposity and I-this syndrome?

(2) What is it that you are trying to discuss in this discussion?
              Interesting actually. A collegue of mine who will be joining Paklinks pretty soon commented about this stuckupness attitude regarding (and he generalized) all muslims. He also mentioned China and Canada. I just gave him the URL and told him happy posting. His comments were about "I am always right" "We will/used to rule the world" and he was quite angered/upset and my favorite "perplexed" regarding these attitudes.

AhmadJee: Why do people crowd behind a religious leader for political purposes. Example Mullah Omar.
              So what I am trying to say is in Afghanistan/talibans case they(people) chose Omar to be their Amir-ul-momaneen. Why?
              Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Comment

^ exactly AJ. Now, can we make this leap to praising or disrespecting prophets who bring politics into spiritualism? Especially the dead ones..I heard one can get throat slashed for disrespecting those sorts of dead people.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee
                  ^ Two answers for you Madu bhaijaan,

2) Disrespecting or praising political leaders doesn't mean anything, especially the dead ones. It is the political ideas that matter.

Sure Ahmadjee Bhaijan, it is easy said living outside of Pakistan. Try disrespecting Jinnah in Pakistan and see what they do to you (have you seen a whole goat roast - well, picture yourself on a big Seekh.). In India, it is fashionable to ridicule Gandhi. You canít compare the political environment of the two countries that are on the opposing side of the spectrum Ė one open, innovative, progressive and modern, while the other closed, retreating, and mediocre. Perhaps it has a lot to learn from its neighbor.

Comment

Perhaps.

PD & Verizon Bhaijaan, I was trying to stay away from religious leaders and ideas as I don't want colorful scripture being copy pasted. NYC people bring enough color to my threads.
                    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by Madhanee
                      In India, it is fashionable to ridicule Gandhi. You canít compare the political environment of the two countries that are on the opposing side of the spectrum Ė one open, innovative, progressive and modern, while the other closed, retreating, and mediocre. Perhaps it has a lot to learn from its neighbor.
                      Don't go overboard in praising the "open, innovative, progressive and modern" India. Yeah, so you may be able to redicule Gandhi (cz its fashionable), but god forbid, if you praise Jinnah, at best you will be out of job, at worst, you will be on a big seekh.
                      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Why would anyone praise Jinnah in India Faisal? Religious factionalism is not a virtue that is much liked there. The democratic traditions oust almost anyone who plays the religion card to get in. Look at BJP, they thought they would rule for a millenium. Suckas got served..by the indian public.

I am not sure if anyone outside of Pakistan would think that Jinnah is to be praised.

Comment

or let alone know who he was.

Comment

Oh so that is why Indians ridicule Gandhi.
                            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Pindi, the gap between the two nations is huge. Itís night and day. We have been ruled by dictators more than half of our countryís life, and we thought we were getting an Islamic Republic. However, we like to live in denial, can your country beat that?

Comment

Working...
                              X