Hindi vs Urdu - sense vs non-sense??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hindi vs Urdu - sense vs non-sense??

Take this one - Today I went to shop at Target and saw a teenager at the cash counter.. Cuz she looked so much indian/pakistani i asked her whether she understands urdu/hindi - simple question rt? She said she understands only Urdu but doesn't understand Hindi at all - kinda weird... and she said Urdu is from Arabic and Hindi from Sanskrit and they are hell different... then I asked her she knows Urdu at all cuz her english sounded very american. At that she said yes she knows the language 100%. We started talking in Urdu but she stuck to her guns that I was talking Hindi and she was talking Urdu.. gosh...I was little shocked.. I asked what does she think about me as far my nationaliy goes... I am tall, very light skinned, long hair and light eyes..and I was wearing sherwani and kurta... She said I am a 100% Indian.. I asked her why- at that she said that my face lacks noor and kafirs don't have noor on their face...amazing facts!! I told her that I left noor by mistake in my car.. and can get it back if she wants to see that.. After laughing for a minute or so I told her that I am actually a punjabi from Lahore, Pakistan... she didnt agree.. I showed her my id and when she saw a muslim name on the ID she was confirmed.... When I enquired about her.. it seemed that she had been to pakiland only when she was little - she is now 19, doesn't like indians and guess what?? her grandfather migrated from India to Karachi - that kinda explains why she aint fond of indians.. now take this one - she told me that she has learnt her Urdu mostly from Bollywood HINDI films she watches at home... can anyone explain this??
    Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.

Re: Hindi vs Urdu - sense vs non-sense??

Okay then. Either the little girl needs to do a little learning, maturing and broaden her horizons, or she was trying to put you off by pretending she had a miniscule IQ.
    A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

On the other hand, she has a point - there is a notable difference between Urdu and Hindi sometimes, but when conversing with friends from Delhi I've noticed they speak more or less the same way as us.

Comment

actually hindi is from snaskrit but...... the hindi wot they speak in bollywood is not the real hindi,

the real hindi is spoken usually by the people from UP(Uttar pradesh),
        like AMITHAB BACHAN ANd other actors who r biharis like SHATRUGAN SINHA they can speak real himdi coz there they speak the sanskrit version,

and the hindi words wot they show in movies is actually coming from urdu but used in hindi ascent,

and if u see movies before 1980's and 70's specially DILIP KUMAR AND MADHUBALA AND NARGIS/ RAJKAPOOR etc..MOVIES u will easily point out only urdu,

coz those times urdu was used as a main language and peopel would like muslim culture more than others, and now a days they speak urdu but in the same ascent of hindi,

so in short
        no difference but slightly different.
        REGARDS,
        IBN_KHATTAB

LIFE IS LIKE A SHEETS OF DRIVEN SNOW,BE CAREFUL HOW YOU STEP ON,
        FOR EVERY MARK WILL SHOW!!!

Comment

Yeah the Hindi they use in Bollywood movies is closer to Urdu I've heard, especially the lyrics to songs as well.

Comment

Really want to know the difference between Hindi & Urdu ????

I saw a sign board in Delhi's chandni chowk bazaar and what i read in hindi was:

SwarNa awaiM rajat aabhooshaN haitu padhaaraiN.

GOT IT ??
            KUCHH SAMAJH MAIN AAYA???
            Please visit us For gold & silver jewelry

sonay aur chaNdi k zewarat k liyay tashreef la-aiN.

what they are using in bollywood movies is a new lingo called HINDUSTANI.
            Aakhir urdu ko hindi rasmul khat main likh kar koee to naya naam dena hi thaa na so thats HINDUSTANI.

CIAO
            huway mar k hum jo RUSWA huway kiyN na gharq e darya
            na kabhi janaza uth-ta na kaheen mazaar hota

Comment

That checkout girl was right. Real Hindi is totally different from Urdu. Just listen to BBC Hindi news service and tell me if you could understand 80% of the words they say.

BTW it must be the most deserted target store that you were able to carryout such a long conversation with her at the checkout counter.
              “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

"I am tall, very light skinned, long hair and light eyes..and I was wearing sherwani and kurta... She said I am a 100% Indian.. "

Are you my grandmother? I miss her so..she passed away a few years ago. She wore Saris but was 100% Indian, light eyes, tall, fair skinned, light hair.. namaste amma!!
                Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

urudu is more islamic than hindi ? how about indonesian? is there any link to language and religen more islamic means more ethnic geographical and linguistic closeness to arabia?

Comment

Indonesian and Urdu are very similar.

Hati - Means slow in Indonesian, means elephant in urdu.
                    Istarika - Means wife in Indonesian, Istari means to iron in urdu
                    Meja - means table
                    Lamari - means cupboard

Etc etc. Indonesian and Malay have alot of root asssociations with Urdu.
                    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Originally posted by mulz
                      Take this one - Today I went to shop at Target and saw a teenager at the cash counter.. Cuz she looked so much indian/pakistani i asked her whether she understands urdu/hindi - simple question rt? She said she understands only Urdu but doesn't understand Hindi at all - kinda weird... and she said Urdu is from Arabic and Hindi from Sanskrit and they are hell different... then I asked her she knows Urdu at all cuz her english sounded very american. At that she said yes she knows the language 100%. We started talking in Urdu but she stuck to her guns that I was talking Hindi and she was talking Urdu.. gosh...I was little shocked.. I asked what does she think about me as far my nationaliy goes... I am tall, very light skinned, long hair and light eyes..and I was wearing sherwani and kurta... She said I am a 100% Indian.. I asked her why- at that she said that my face lacks noor and kafirs don't have noor on their face...amazing facts!! I told her that I left noor by mistake in my car.. and can get it back if she wants to see that.. After laughing for a minute or so I told her that I am actually a punjabi from Lahore, Pakistan... she didnt agree.. I showed her my id and when she saw a muslim name on the ID she was confirmed.... When I enquired about her.. it seemed that she had been to pakiland only when she was little - she is now 19, doesn't like indians and guess what?? her grandfather migrated from India to Karachi - that kinda explains why she aint fond of indians.. now take this one - she told me that she has learnt her Urdu mostly from Bollywood HINDI films she watches at home... can anyone explain this??
                      Aah she was so correct...I hope others behave like that with you too...
                      Don't tell me any of your secrets...even if i am asking you...i would never keep it a secret.

Comment

^ yeah tell em idiots who have no common sense to understand the difference between the languages. i mean how come they miss to make out such a vast difference between such a polite and humble language URDU and a batameez (tu taRaakh) cheap lingo of the streets HINDI?
                        Last edited by TheNewWannaBe; Jun 4, 2005, 01:42 PM.
                        Wonder this time where she's gone,wonder if she's gone to stay
                        Ain't no sunshine when she's gone,and this house just ain't no home
                        anytime she goes away.

Comment

tnwb urdu isnt as bad as u make it sound, u bad bad hindu girl u!!
                          Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Wonder this time where she's gone,wonder if she's gone to stay
                            Ain't no sunshine when she's gone,and this house just ain't no home
                            anytime she goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Smith
                              That checkout girl was right. Real Hindi is totally different from Urdu. Just listen to BBC Hindi news service and tell me if you could understand 80% of the words they say.

BTW it must be the most deserted target store that you were able to carryout such a long conversation with her at the checkout counter.
                              Mr. smith.. if you don't have customers waiting in line behind you, you can afford to carry out the conversation.. isn't it?? So, real hindi is different than real Urdu - wats real urdu by the way and wats fake urdu? I am curious... These news reader try to sound polictically correct.. look at khabrein I used to watch on PTV some10 yrs back in Lahore.. the news reader speak bizzare urdu - they will forcefully try to put lot of arabic or persian - well persian has room in urdu cus it one of the languages which gave birth to urdu but arabic ?? damn!! Or watch that kameena Indian thespian dileep kumar - he speaks something which he calls urdu - i guess only his wife and mother can understand..
                              Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.

Comment

Working...
                              X