Arabian Nights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arabian Nights

Legend has it that a King in Arabia took the infidelity of his wife to his heart and decided to marry a virgin every night, only to have her killed the next morning. He did it until the town ran out of virgins. The Grand Vazeer, in order to save his post, offered his daughter.

Shahrzaad, a beautiful 18 year old girl was not only pretty but had a sound head on her shoulders. Well aware of her fate that waited next morning, she came up with a plan to save her life. After hours of passionate love making, she rested her chin on the King's chest and asked if he would like to hear a story. The King obliged.

Shhrzaad started the story and continued it till dawn. It was time for, among other royal duties, the King's orders to kill the bride. But he wanted to finish listening to the story the next night. So he decided to postpone the decree.

(This is folklore, so don't try to be too logical)

This continued for one thousand and one nights. The King by then was assured of his queen's faithfulness and decided to discontinue the ritual of killing his brides.

Thus came into existence the one thousand one Arabian Nights stories. SOme of the famous ones are Aladin, Sindbad, Ali Baba and the forty thieves...

Re: Arabian Nights

Sindbad was Chinese.

Comment

Are you an engineer?
      The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

If you ask Sara516, she will have you believe that Sindbad lives in NY and appears regularly on BET (Black Entertainment Television) in Sindbad at the Apollo.

SO you think an Arab can't tell stories with Chinese characters?

Comment

So why put other women through such a fate and torture? Why would the parents offer to marry thier daughters to this guy when they very well know his habit of killing them? Such jaahil behavior :halo:
          The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

Originally posted by funguy
            If you ask Sara516, she will have you believe that Sindbad lives in NY and appears regularly on BET (Black Entertainment Television) in Sindbad at the Apollo.

SO you think an Arab can't tell stories with Chinese characters?
            I don't watch BET

Comment

Comment

No really... shouldn't stories be somewhat realistic?

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if parents decided to marry their daughters to a murdering scumbag...

Comment

I agree with you Sara. I certainly don't believe anyone can climb up a bean stock to a giant land. I mean, we are in information age with real time satellite digital imaging .. such stories are ridicules. Talk about a talking egg falling off the wall, how stupid.
                  I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                  - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by Sara516

No really... shouldn't stories be somewhat realistic?

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if parents decided to marry their daughters to a murdering scumbag...
                    The Arabian Nights story was one of wit and ingenuity and great story telling skill.

Realism really isn't a pre-requisit for literature.
                    rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band

Comment

Originally posted by funguy

This continued for one thousand and one nights. The King by then was assured of his queen's faithfulness and decided to discontinue the ritual of killing his brides.

it didnt continue for one thousand nights only....infinite nights rahther....somewhere in btw it comes back to a story where the girl in the story starts telling the 1000 tales again....lil correction bacha...
                      pathar ki zaban

Single. Of. Singles.

Comment

The undedited version of 1001 Arabian Nights stories should be rated 'R' with a leaning towards 'X'

"A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

Originally posted by Sara516
                          So why put other women through such a fate and torture? Why would the parents offer to marry thier daughters to this guy when they very well know his habit of killing them? Such jaahil behavior :halo:
                          Cause if they didn't they would get killed...
                          "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

Arabian Nights is a collection of stories from Persia, China, and Arabia. These were told in Arabic but borrowed from influential cultures surrounding Arabia around 1100s.

Comment

Originally posted by aishaA
                              Cause if they didn't they would get killed...
                              Well dint they get killed anyway? Or are you talking about the families? if that's the case, the family would rather sacrifice thier own daughter in order to save their skin. It's disgusting really. Anyway, I know this is all supposedly make-believe but I relaly wouldn't doubt that people would do something like that...

Comment

Working...
                              X