Open Heart Surgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Heart Surgeon

OK, this dude has recently migrated from Gujranwala to Chicago. He is going through the typical 'phase in' period every grown-up desi goes through when he first arrives in Amreeka. Same old shyt that he was better off there, people in Amreeka are stupid, we had nauker chaaker and crap. Just yesterday he told me that his older brother is a 'OPEN HEART SURGEON' And I was like, hmmm...is he a cardiologist /surgeon? and he said, no he only does open heart surgery. Being quite nil in medical terminology, I decided to take him for his word. So, is there really a field in medicine specialized for OPEN heart surgery?

Oh and one more thing, he said this before announcing his brother's profession... "ohh sir jee, baleeve me jee, maira bhai open heart surgeon aiy'

Re: Open Heart Surgeon

It's possible that his brother is a doctor or cardiologist, don't doubt him just because he can't express himself in English properly.
    A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

Open heart surgery is wat we call bypass, hope u hv heard of it. Now they hv tried to cut down on such procedures since the risk is usually v high n so ppl use other low risk operations. n yep they are cardiac surgeons.
      Mujhey aurr kuch nahii chahiye, yeh dua'ayein hain meri sayaaban,
      karri dhoup mein kahein mil sakein, tou yahii chahatein mujhey chaahiyein..!

Comment

Cardiac surgery is highly specialized. "Open Heart" can mean a number of different types of surgery, from emplanting pacemakers to coronary bypass grafts to valve replacements. Usually "open heart" means the ribs are cut to give full exposure to the heart.

Cardiologists can also do "minimally invasive surgery", which is done through threading tubes up through the arteries from the legs. By not cutting open the whole chest, healing time is significantly reduced, and lots of complications avoided. Therefore "open heart surgeons" get some of the sickest highest risk patients. Bill Clinton had open heart surgery, while Dick Cheney has had a number of stents implanted, as well as a pacemaker.
        Boycott Venezuelas State owned Citgo.

Buy Royal Dutch Shell gasoline!

Comment

my uncle went through an open heart surgery three times. he is 70+ and still not careful of what he eats. he is still a heavy smoker.

my dad went through angioplasty. they inserted a wire with small little baloons connected at the tip to help unclog the arteries. i think id go through this in my 40s *sigh*

but ofcourse to perform both the procedures, one has to be a cardiologist.
          Wonder this time where she's gone,wonder if she's gone to stay
          Ain't no sunshine when she's gone,and this house just ain't no home
          anytime she goes away.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by funguy
              OK, this dude has recently migrated from Gujranwala to Chicago. He is going through the typical 'phase in' period every grown-up desi goes through when he first arrives in Amreeka. Same old shyt that he was better off there, people in Amreeka are stupid, we had nauker chaaker and crap. Just yesterday he told me that his older brother is a 'OPEN HEART SURGEON' And I was like, hmmm...is he a cardiologist /surgeon? and he said, no he only does open heart surgery. Being quite nil in medical terminology, I decided to take him for his word. So, is there really a field in medicine specialized for OPEN heart surgery?

Oh and one more thing, he said this before announcing his brother's profession... "ohh sir jee, baleeve me jee, maira bhai open heart surgeon aiy'
              A Doctor who performs an evaluation of the heart and determines if a By pass is necessary or not and also one who performs what is called a ECG/EKG/Stress Tests or also performs Angiograms/Angiographics and Angioplasty is called a Cardiologist

Where as a Doctor who actually performs the Surgery to graft the Vessels leading to the Heart is called a Cardic/Vascular/Thoracic Surgeon. He can perform both By Pass as well as Open Heart Surgeries.

Somebody above also mentioned Open Heart Surgery is By Pass Surgery, I dont think that is correct, By Pass is when the Clogged vessels leading to the Heart are Grafted by a better vessel from another part of the Body (Arms/Thighs/Etc), where as Open Heart surgery is where the Heart has a Malfunction (like a Defective Chamber or Valve) and needs Surgery on the Heart it self.

Aejaz

Comment

They also have open balls surgeons in Pakistan. They do what is called "Tatay Chukni" (ball lifters, or those who kiss up), an example of that will be the Gupshup Mods, who are always trying to please the Admins, and also trying to show how insecure some of them are.

Comment

^ madhanee, bashing mods in my threads is NOT allowed. Admins, you may.

Comment

Where did I bash anyone? God man, you only look at the surface. It was meant to be compliment. Everyone should try to please other.

Comment

kya hua :tweetie:

Originally posted by funguy
                      Wonder this time where she's gone,wonder if she's gone to stay
                      Ain't no sunshine when she's gone,and this house just ain't no home
                      anytime she goes away.

Comment

I don't think Cardiologists are necessarily surgeons as well. I guess Aejaz bhai articulated the point, well.
                        "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Aejaz,

Coronary bypass surgery would be considered an "open heart" procedure. Open heart is not really a scientific term, it is generally when the heart is exposed, and more specifically when the heart is attached to a heart lung machine. The real difference in terms of a physicians specialty is that to perform cardaic surgery in the US, one would have to have completed a residency in cadiac surgery. Minimally invasive surgeries like angioplasty and stenting are generally performed by a cadiologist, not a surgeon. Usually the Cath Lab has a doctor who does nothing all day but the angioplasty procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioguy
                            Aejaz,

Coronary bypass surgery would be considered an "open heart" procedure. Open heart is not really a scientific term, it is generally when the heart is exposed, and more specifically when the heart is attached to a heart lung machine. The real difference in terms of a physicians specialty is that to perform cardaic surgery in the US, one would have to have completed a residency in cadiac surgery. Minimally invasive surgeries like angioplasty and stenting are generally performed by a cadiologist, not a surgeon. Usually the Cath Lab has a doctor who does nothing all day but the angioplasty procedures.
                            OhioGuy Bhai,

I may as well be wrong, but that is what I understood about the procedure, specially after my By Pass in Dec 2004, but yes what you say about By Pass being considered as Open Heart too makes sense to me and I have a 12 inch zipper to prove it.

Comment

I had a stent installed this Feb. I am regretably up to date.

Comment

Working...
                              X