X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bus ticketing in Pakistan gets the feminine touch

Bus ticketing in Pakistan gets the feminine touch

By Abdullah Iqbal, Correspondent

Lahore: A company running intercity coaches has inducted women conductors into service for the first time.
    The measure by a company in Wah Cantt in northern Punjab is a step ahead of some other comapanies that have been using women stewardesses to serve food and drinks to passengers in some intercity routes.

Two young women have been signed on by a bus service owned by private company MAAKS as fare collectors in Lahore

Mehro Abbas and Zile Huma, both 20, who are both matriculates, started their job last week and are serving on route number 33 of the bus service. They have been hired on a salary of about Rs 6,000 (Dh 370) per month.

Four more girls are under training and will soon begin working. The company plans to recruit 60 girls for the job.

M. Asif Khurshid, MAAKS operations manager, said the company believed in empowering women and welcomed more girls to join it. "We guarantee complete protection and a good environment to the girls," he said.

"A male assistant is on board with them at all time and a camera is used to monitor commuters. Both female collectors have been given mobile phones to use in case of an emergency," he said. He added that the company was considering hiring a female supervisor for the girls.

Training officer Muhammad Afzal Cheema said their training included learning about traffic laws and dealing with customers. He said the girls under training were "doing very well".

Abbas and Huma are not only confident about the job, but determined to be the first female public transport drivers.

"Women should enter every field," said a confident Abbas."We have received great feedback from commuters, especially women and old men," said Huma.

"This is a nice experience. All women should be brave enough to take up any kind of job," they said. "We want to set an example to society."
    Don't tell me any of your secrets...even if i am asking you...i would never keep it a secret.

Re: Bus ticketing in Pakistan gets the feminine touch

old news... thanks for sharing.
    hamein to apno ne loota gheron mein kahan dam tha....mera scooter wajja wahaan jahaaN rashh kamm tha......

Comment

Doesnt the Islamabad-Lahore Daewoo bus service already have Women conductors?

Comment

*happy Dance*
        I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

lol this is all fine and dandy...but who's gonna do safai and make chapatais while they are gone.
          Adopt me Angelina.

Comment

Thats good news. Now poor girls with some education can have a decent profession too.
            charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
            zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

This is more than providing the opportunity for women to hold jobs with some education.

Have you travelled in a public bus before? The crowd is so disrespectful to females, its unbelievable how much grabbing goes on in one bus.

I know these are private companies, but it could teach men to be more respectful out on the streets. Hopefully this trend will carry over onto public buses.

Comment

ermmm, how do they walk around in those over crowded busses?

Comment

These are not the crowded buses we know for last 58 years. These are new imported buses (some with A/C) for intercity routes and have rule of seat by seat sitting. So you can say that it is an OK environment with a male assistant and emergency response arrangements. Ghareeb kay liye tou ye environment bhi bohat hai rozi kamane ke liye. As far as sick mentality of general public is concerned, that will change with time. But these buses are mostly used by educated people. So those who are sitting with a decent majority feel the environment and act better.

Things are changing.
                  charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
                  zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

Absolutely true. But even with the guys who have money who are able to afford these buses - there is much they do to disrespect women. So every little step forrward is actually a big step forward if you think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia
                      This is more than providing the opportunity for women to hold jobs with some education.

Have you travelled in a public bus before? The crowd is so disrespectful to females, its unbelievable how much grabbing goes on in one bus.

I know these are private companies, but it could teach men to be more respectful out on the streets. Hopefully this trend will carry over onto public buses.
                      quite right..
                      J for Jiala...J for Jaahil..
                      Jaahil a hard-headed idiot who would never admit his mistake.

Comment

this isnt right.. daewoo had that way back in 1999 or so.. i think karachi metro bus service also has female conductors/drivers..

im personally witness to the first, the latter i think im personally witness to although my mind often plays very boring tricks on itself, this could be one.
                        Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

hmm i have been travelling on that route for sometime now..(in lahore) they were introduced but never seen them again.. may b i missed the timings
                          but ppl do need education to behave when they are not talking to their maan, bhain.
                          J for Jiala...J for Jaahil..
                          Jaahil a hard-headed idiot who would never admit his mistake.

Comment

Working...
                          X