• Show
Clear All

Student reports Quran in campus toilet

possibly a copycat act

Student reports Quran in campus toilet
    No suspects or leads in incident at Delta College
    By Greg KaneRecord Staff Writer
    Published Friday, May 20, 2005

STOCKTON -- A San Joaquin Delta College student discovered a copy of the Quran in a library toilet Wednesday evening, an incident similar to one described in a now-retracted news report that sparked Muslim protests worldwide last week.

Delta police wouldn't release the name of the student, whom they say found the Muslim holy book in the toilet of a second-floor men's bathroom in the library just after 7 p.m. Wednesday. Sgt. Geff Greenwood said the student removed the book from the toilet and placed it on a bathroom shelf before contacting the police.

The scenario mirrors one described in a retracted Newsweek article that led to deadly riots in Afghanistan and protests in other Muslim nations last week. That Newsweek article, citing unidentified sources, claimed interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had flushed a Quran down a toilet to intimidate detainees.

The Quran is the most revered book in Islam. Desecrating it is seen as an offense to Allah.

Word of the discovery spread quickly across the Delta campus Thursday morning. Muslim students said they were more disappointed than angry to learn that someone at school had desecrated the book.

"We have respect for all other religions," said Ramsey Abboushi, a 19-year-old Muslim student. "We can only hope to get that same respect."

Sean Khan, 19, is Muslim but doesn't seriously practice the religion. He still found it upsetting that someone chose to mock another's beliefs in such a way.

"If it was any religious materials, I'd be equally offended," Khan said. "It's just ignorant."

Wade Heath, an 18-year-old Christian student, said Delta is a culturally diverse campus and was surprised to learn about the discovery early Thursday. Heath is a Lutheran but understands why Muslims would be upset by the incident.

"If it was the Bible flushed down the toilet, I'd be angry," Heath said. "It's a total disrespect to somebody's beliefs."

Another Muslim student, Ahmed Falol, 19, said he thought it was probably a copycat of the Newsweek incident.

Greenwood said they would still likely pursue hate-crime charges if the person responsible is found.

Police have no suspects or leads. The book came from the library and is being held as evidence. Remaining copies of the Quran have been placed behind the library desk to prevent it from happening again, Greenwood said.

Abboushi said he doubts the person will ever be found.

"There are 20,000 kids that go to this school," Abboushi said. "They're not going to stop everyone and ask if they desecrated the Quran."
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Re: Student reports Quran in campus toilet

I dont quite know what people get out of doing something so pathetic.
    "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Comment

MQ, some do it just for the kicks.
      I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Comment

It's a sad world we live in. Too many people are evil I tell you.
        "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Comment

*sigh*
          Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm. Courage is the ladder on which all the other virtues mount.

Comment

Makes you wonder how farigh they are.
            rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band

Comment

id insist the dog get found out and shot
              Mill ke sab matam-e-shabbir karo..

Comment

I'd insist, to find out, if it was done deliberately...Many times I myself have been reading in the library, and sometimes will take the book with me to read to the loo...And a couple of times have forgotten it in there...

It might be a mistake, but appreciate the efforts of the college to put all the Qurans behind the counter, so they can be accounted for and misunderstandings avoided...
                Focus not on who you are but what you do...
                ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

^^ there's a difference between taking a book to the loo and taking the Quran?
                  DUH!
                  Mill ke sab matam-e-shabbir karo..

Comment

Originally posted by Mem Saab
                    ^^ there's a difference between taking a book to the loo and taking the Quran?
                    DUH!
                    Not everyone holds the Quran with as much reverence as you or me...Specially a non-Muslim, for whom the Quran is as much a book as Gulliver's Travels...

Taj company prints in any language that the Quran is printed in, to hold it with respect and humility...

The Saudi printed Quran, printed in the king Faisal's press (Though being phenomenally detailed and historical) does not, and all the Quran circulating in libraries and universities across the globe are from that press...

Comment

I think clogging the toilet should be an issue we should be discussing, and not the sanctity of a book. Quran cannot be desecrated. Respect doesn’t lie placing it on a top shelf, but reading and understanding what’s in it.

Comment

^ For sure. That's why we have so many hafiz and hafizas. The holy Quraan can never be destroyed. The whole thing about keeping Quraan on a top shelf is a bit pointless, Quraan should be placed where it can be easily reached.
                        A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhanee
                          I think clogging the toilet should be an issue we should be discussing, and not the sanctity of a book. Quran cannot be desecrated. Respect doesn’t lie placing it on a top shelf, but reading and understanding what’s in it.
                          I agree...Like every man is like any other man, similarly any book is like any other book...

Of course men like Hitler, Dubya, Pol Pot and John Wayne Gacy stand on the same level and pedestal as the Prophets and the Saints...

Similarly, Penthouse, Playboy and Madonna's Erotica stand on the same pedestal as every other sacred and holy book...You don't differentiate between which has more importance and which has less...

They say, the importance of knowledge to a person can be seen from the time when a child is a student...When the kids are carrying home their books and it rains, there are those who would use the books as an umbrella to shield themselves from the rain while others would become the umbrealls for their books so they don't get soaked...

Someone once asked what happens to crazy people in Islam? They can neither understand nor follow Islam...The answer to this is: They are forgiven and enter paradise...

The Quran and other Ibrahimi Books are not written as per the regular limitaions of grammar, syntax and diction...They are books very plain, but with lessons through analogies, past events and similitudes...To decipher them yourself and then teach to others is an undertaking not for everyone, especially those who fear human reproach and desire worldly gains...

Even to understand, on a layman's level, the basic concepts of any religion, one must be fairly adept at putting and placing the context of what's written in own's life...

That takes a quite a bit of thinking and pondering...

For a person bereft of the ability of thought and placement, the Quran, unfortunately, will always remain on the same par as an Archie comic...

Comment

Lajo, you take library books to the loo? :-O
                            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee
                              Lajo, you take library books to the loo? :-O
                              All the time...If I ever had to use the facilities, I always headed to the library's second floor...

First: It was very quiet there as no one used to come there and secondly, you could just grab an interesting book and from a shelf and head in...

In fact, it was so quiet in the library's toilet, that I actually smoked in there while reading a coupld of times...

Yeah yeah...Wrong thing, but I did it...

Comment

Working...
                              X