You are not qualified as a geek if you showed up at work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are not qualified as a geek if you showed up at work today

Star Wars' fever hit the United States on Thursday as thousands lined up to see midnight showings of 'Revenge of the Sith'.

One analysis estimates the excitement over the new movie could cost US employers as much as $627-million in lost productivity from people skipping work to see the film

They already know how the movie is going to end. Many of them already know much of the plot and have known it for some time. But that didn't stop moviegoers from attending sold-out 12:01 showings of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith in droves.

That fan loyalty could cost U.S. employers as much as $627 million in lost productivity on Thursday and Friday, said Chicago-based outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc., which based its estimates on attendance for the first two days of the previous movies in the trilogy.

While a few enlightened companies will give employees time on Thursday to attend a daytime showing, or even close down for a few hours in the case of small businesses, most fans work for typically humorless firms.

That means fans will either have scheduled Thursday as a vacation day, or will be calling in sick on Thursday morning in the wake of attending the midnight showing.

http://www.webpronews.com/news/ebusi...ivityLoss.html
    “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Re: You are not qualified as a geek if you showed up at work today

Losers
    The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

fking nerds...

It's a movie. If anyone from my office even dreams abou tskipping work, they will find their entry badges malfunctioning.. Revenge of the Danda, *****es!!!!
      Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

^ even if they'r goodlooking?
        I understand, I just don't care.

Comment

It is a non-issue MissM. Good looking people don't go and see a movie during work hours. They usually have dates and go either before or after dinner.

Comment

PD, check your roster man. Make sure everyone is there at work. Especially that pale faced IT guy. I am sure he will give you some excuse to skip work. Keep your eye on him.
            “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

I don't even know who the IT guy is. THey are usually holed up in the back room..and talk incomprehensibly.."servers, routers, VOIP (what the fk is VOIP?), firewalls etc".... the less you see them the better..like lepers really..we let them out one day a week among the general population and usually either pet them with gloves on or just throw food from a far.

Comment

^^ Thank God I saw the light early on and chose the management track.
                Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Comment

PD, you have offended lots of IT people here. Now apologize!

Comment

AS, not to worry, the best among them wouldn't have a clue as to what PD said.

Comment

off topic - your subject reminded me of the new show - Beauty and the Geek

Comment

Beautiful geek. Now that’s an oxymoron.

Comment

Guess where the 627 million is going. George lucas's pocket!

Comment

who is actually crazy about that movie....sorry to say I HATE star wars....ppl with all these weird shaped heads....with mono tone voices. plz.
                            Tere naam humne kiya hai jeevan apna saara sanam
                            Pyaar bahut karte hai tumse,
                            Ishq hai tu hamaara sanam...

Comment

^^ you insenstive clod! I have a mona tony voice!
                              "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

Working...
                              X