Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Views British Pakistani Culture'

Salaams All,

By reading the views on this board. I can say that keh hum U.K. Born Pakistani's are certainly holding onto every bit of culture and religion.

Magar the image/veiws some people portryed here really made me think that you rather forget religion and culture, and just copy the westerner who we Paki's in the U.K. don't give a toss about, we put them in their right place!!

Views on this people!!!!!!! (or maybe some angry comments)

Yeh sirf a view point hai, toh maybe yah phir please prove me wrong!!!!

Allah-Hafiz

------------------
    "Don't mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life."

Noshi, welcome to the web site! (if you are brand new here).

Your views seem to be generalizing everyone who lives in UK. I have seen some ppl in UK who have really lost it. The religion, the culture the sense of identity. Same every where. Be it USA or Canada or even back home. On the other hand there are others who have been able to keep a balance between their present lives and their past or future lives.

Not everything in western society is bad. Otherwise we won't be here. and everything in our culture is not hunki dori otherwise we would have gone back after some time....after making enough money, if wealth was the only issue.

Also, on these forums sometimes people's views are vey extreme...either way. Thats not how they are most of the times or in their real lives.

There is no need to prove you wrong and on what issue? or prove someone right. Its only our views, right? The perspective how we see the things. Welcome on board and we will share our views....to learn and understand....not to prove things(believe me enough of that has been done here in last 3 weeks;-))

CM

Comment

Noshi western culture is like water in the foundation of the building it eventually someday brings the building tearing down...and The big bosses of western society have done with putting cable boxes and all sorts of other gagets in our house in the west and in east to bring out islamic(muslim) building down with the help of their dirty culture which teaches the most destructive idea that is " individualism" now adays kids pakistani young kids when their parents tell them to do something which is right they go on and tell the parents "its my life mommy and daddy stay out of it" that kinda ideas lead to destruction of families and friends.
      Value of respect to elders is gone in the drain with kids who are raised in western society...one maybe get use to the western culture and call it if it is GOOD but that person has no other place to go besides calling good what he has...and also i think i have posted this before i know...it sole depends on parents and how they rais their kids...if you let them and tell your kids to just get settle and get adjusted to the culture that that family is going to have the effect of getting adjustment...

Jaawan

------------------
      Till next time***Keep_It_Simple_Stupid***©

Comment

Salaams,

Thanks channMahi for welcoming me on-board jee, yes I am new here!!

Btw do you mean jee?? without the western society we won't be here?? kiya arn't asians capable of doing anything without the westerners getting involved?

Its true that some people living abroad have really gone out of hand magar this also case of what society you keep and family aswell. Point taken keh yahan money bananey keh leyey aatey hain aur phir jub faida ley leyey toh chalo Pak (to which i don't mind at all, wish i was there!!) magar when taking something from this country we have to give something back!! i.e. GETTING STUCK IN THIS RUT FOREVER!!

Originally posted by ChannMahi:
        Noshi, welcome to the web site! (if you are brand new here).

Your views seem to be generalizing everyone who lives in UK. I have seen some ppl in UK who have really lost it. The religion, the culture the sense of identity. Same every where. Be it USA or Canada or even back home. On the other hand there are others who have been able to keep a balance between their present lives and their past or future lives.

Not everything in western society is bad. Otherwise we won't be here. and everything in our culture is not hunki dori otherwise we would have gone back after some time....after making enough money, if wealth was the only issue.

Also, on these forums sometimes people's views are vey extreme...either way. Thats not how they are most of the times or in their real lives.

There is no need to prove you wrong and on what issue? or prove someone right. Its only our views, right? The perspective how we see the things. Welcome on board and we will share our views....to learn and understand....not to prove things(believe me enough of that has been done here in last 3 weeks;-))

CM

Comment

Noshi ji, with out Western society we will be just fine and without us, western society will be just fine too. That does not prove anything.

What I am saying is that sometimes we are too harsh on blaming on west for all of our failures, be they back home as our society at large, or individual failures as is our case in the west. For example I have been here for about 10 years and if I remember correctly:
          1- No one ever sent me an invitation to come to this 'filthy' land of West and make it pak pavitar. I came on my own.

2- When I came here no one invited me to join the 'rat race', I joined on my own, in fact happily

3- Every morning when I get up and get ready for work, I get ready on my own. No one forces me to join the rat race.

4- amazingly, I have never met any Western who came to my door and requested me to stay much longer in their beloved country.

5- True Cable and TV are invented in West. No one forced me to buy it back home and no one forced me to buy it here. I picked up the phone and called for Cable service. Noone forced me to do it, as some other ppl want to believe. If I remember TV and Cable is a personal choice not some kind of Western tax that everyone has to pay.

what is even more ironical is that some of us have the audacity and courage to bash Western TV and Cable by debating in discussions on Western Internet.(Oh sorry I fogot, we invented Zero, without which internet would be impossible).

6- 100% of the time I watch TV, I have remote in my own hand...I am sure so does Jawan. If I cann't control my temptation, I should not blame TV for it.

Rat race is bad but the point is no one forces you to join it. I am not sure if someone wants to go back and stay back home, who stops them? I am sure if we all on this site decide to move next Monday, not even our neibghours will be bothered to notice that we are gone.

There is no need for West to conspire and destroy our culture and religion, if we keep it as rigid and unchangable with time as we are trying to, it will be destroyed bye itself.

CM

Comment

Dehatan Jee,

As you said who is trying to prove what?? You were given a choice to go abroad magar the people born here have no say in that matter, which is what I meant by Bristish Asians. Living in this country doesn’t mean that we should forget our roots or what our identity is. I have seen many coconuts (i.e. Bahir sey brown aur andar sey white act karna), their attitudes are also western “selfishness.

Being born here I can say we have some rights over this country is not a matter of “Their Country” British born asians have the same right. Magar I have kept in touch with my roots also therefore not immiting the western culture. I get this picture cos some Paki’s are trying too hard to become what their not! Which really aggravates me.

Of course the world would evolve without us even if we do decide to move wherever, whenever no matter where we live and no one would be bothered!! (well my neighbours are so nice I hope they would)
            P.S. I’m talking culture not technology!! Maybe that could be the next discussion!!

I am taking this discussion light heartedly and hope that others will also!!!!!

Noshi

[This message has been edited by Noshi (edited April 15, 2000).]

Comment

Noshi,

Before you enter any meaningful discussion, I strongly suggest, you READ, if not the contents of what the other person is saying,

then atleast, the NAME OF WHO IS WRITING....*Smile*

You are replying to Dehatan, who isn't even on this thread....? *Smile again*

Comment

Noshi ji

I liked your analogy of coconut

Rest later, I have been busy on the weekend.

CM

Comment

Damn!!!!! you caught me sleeping yaar!!!! Apologies jee, hey I'm new!! Kamazkum aik mistake to allowed hai nah???

Aur aap log toh senior OAP's hain lol

Laterzzzz

Noshi

Originally posted by Dehatan:
                  Noshi,

Before you enter any meaningful discussion, I strongly suggest, you READ, if not the contents of what the other person is saying,

then atleast, the NAME OF WHO IS WRITING....*Smile*

You are replying to Dehatan, who isn't even on this thread....? *Smile again*

------------------
                  "Don't mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life."

Comment

Hi Noshi,

On one hand you say "yaar" and then you go on about "apologies"...?*frown*

In my book, Yaar = Dost = never the need for apologies...*smile*

I am going out of town and thought I must ans. you before I leave, keya pataa my plane falls out of the sky and....laugh!

GupShup pay, koyee senior, koyee junior naheeN hai,
                    and as for as "mistakes", "all" of us make them and so many, that the unofficial policy here - the more the merrier, laugh!

Anywho, till we meet again, happy posting!!

Comment

Salaams Dehatan,

Awwwww my first guppie dost!!

I hope you have a nice trip wherever youre going!! Aur I wouldn't wish your plane to crash even if you were a dushman jee!! Toh phir agar friends hain toh aisi battain nahi karna acha!!!!

Hope you see you back here soon!!!

Regards

Allah-Hafiz

Noshi

Originally posted by Dehatan:
                      Hi Noshi,

On one hand you say "yaar" and then you go on about "apologies"...?*frown*

In my book, Yaar = Dost = never the need for apologies...*smile*

I am going out of town and thought I must ans. you before I leave, keya pataa my plane falls out of the sky and....laugh!

GupShup pay, koyee senior, koyee junior naheeN hai,
                      and as for as "mistakes", "all" of us make them and so many, that the unofficial policy here - the more the merrier, laugh!

Anywho, till we meet again, happy posting!!

Comment

I'm glad you did jee, It's a very common saying!!!!

Originally posted by ChannMahi:
                        Noshi ji

I liked your analogy of coconut

Rest later, I have been busy on the weekend.

CM

Comment

Well, I have nothing to say about this topic, I have spend chunks of my life in UK ... and considerable long span of my life. But now I visit UK only on weekends.

Comment

Najim,

So eventhough you have spent chunks of youre life there you haven't observed anything, therefore nothing to say??

Fair enough Jee!!

Noshi

Originally posted by Najim:
                            Well, I have nothing to say about this topic, I have spend chunks of my life in UK ... and considerable long span of my life. But now I visit UK only on weekends.

[This message has been edited by Noshi (edited April 17, 2000).]

Comment

Well my situation is like,

kabhee main rutooN kee bahar thaa
                              magar ab to ek suraab hoon

I dont take part in any desi event, I meet very few desis (now) actually it wouldn't be wrong to say that I am drifting apart from desi (pakistani culture), and I am not resisting against it and not keeping myself in or near to the desi culture.

Comment

Working...
                              X