Lahore Road gets disapproval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lahore Road gets disapproval

Heard this tidbit on the radio today....

Apparently there is a street in the far east end of Toronto named Lahore Road. The residents are upset and want the name changed. I figured it must have something to do with racial discrimination in the area, but when I heard the reason, I was rolling around laughing. People who live there want the name changed because Lahore sounds like "a French prostitute".

Let me know when I should stop laughing at their stupidity.

Re: Lahore Road gets disapproval

Muzna... apparently this happened last year, and now that the Mayor of Markham has made a point in justifying "diversity" of his town and hence the name... the residents have accepted the name - I heard his interview last night and he said something to the effect of "You can find humor in many names... say Bangkok for example"
    and Global News did a pretty good report & public interviews Re: other street names like "Virgin Place".

They're not using the name for the same street anymore though... they're naming a new street Lahore St. now.
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

I just thought it hilarious Umar.
      There are several places in the world that have "questionable" names.
      Take "Come By Chance" for example. And some people have trouble with "Regina" because it is just too close.

So I guess the residents won.....

Comment

Yeah...that reminds me of when I was mentioning lahore in my Art History class once back in high school. The others all thought I was talking about a whore.

Happens also with the term "hoor".

Anytime you say "Lahore" or "hoor", make sure to pronounce clearly, and also make sure to clarify that you are not talking about a whore.
        I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

How can you pronounce Lahore without making it sound like "La-Whore"?

Comment

^^ Impressive, can you say Mike Hunt 6-10 times fast.
            Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Comment

I thought you punjabis say it like "Laaur" as in "La-Aur" - sounds nothing like La-Whore when said with the proper Punjabi accent.

Comment

La-hore this is just hillarious

never thaught about it this way

Comment

It's a stupid name for a Street/Road anyway. I am from Lahore, and we don't have any streets named after the greatest city of the Indian sub continent. However, there's a gate called Lahori Darwaza. If these stupid Canadians had an ounce of brains, they would have named it Lahori Road to begin with. Idiot assholes. They don't deserve any roads named after the greatest city in the world.

Comment

I thought the greatest city in the world is new york city? *scratches head* Since when did Lahore top NYC?

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia
                      I thought you punjabis say it like "Laaur" as in "La-Aur" - sounds nothing like La-Whore when said with the proper Punjabi accent.
                      Acha ji how does PCGs breed says it?
                      Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Comment

PCG, Call me polygamous. I love them both.

Comment

where is it located in T.O?
                          - I swear to drunk I am not God :-/

Comment

After all Lahore Lahore hai
                            Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE. ~Aristotle

Comment

I'm sorry, Verizon doggie, but you're amongst humans now. Try to act like one. I know its hard to shed the doggie identity.

Comment

Working...
                              X