The Birds: In Real Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Birds: In Real Life

Remember the Hitchcock move The Birds? It's happening in Houston. These black grackles are scary. Last year on a golf course I play regular. They swooped out of a tree and attacked the members of the foresome I was in. I was about to putt when this "whoosh" went right by my head. Got on the next tee....and same thing. My friends just laughed when I was swinging away trying to fight them off. As with my golf game, I couldn't hit a birdie.

Hostile Grackles Attack People in Houston
    ]HOUSTON (AP) - Like a scene from the horror movie "The Birds," large black grackles are swooping down on downtown Houston and attacking people's heads, hair and backs.

Authorities closed off a sidewalk after the aggressive birds, which can have 2-foot wingspans, flew out of magnolia trees Monday in front of the County Administration Building.

"They were just going crazy," said constable Wilbert Jue, who works at the building. "They were attacking everybody that walked by."

The grackles zeroed in on a lawyer who shooed a bird away before he tripped and injured his face, Jue said. The lawyer was treated for several cuts.

It appears that the birds are protecting their offspring. On Monday a young grackle had fallen out of its nest and adult birds attacked people who got too close, Jue said.

Another bird attacked a deputy county clerk.

"I hit him with a bottle," said Sylvia Velasquez. "The other birds came, and one attacked my blouse and on my back."

Two women came to help her after she fell to the ground, and the birds attacked them as well. The group escaped by running into the building. "This is a very Hitchcock kind of story. Very Tippi Hedren," said downtown worker Laura Aranda Smith, referring to one of the stars of Alfred Hitchcock's move "The Birds."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050518/D8A5IBTO0.html

"I met the surgeon general - he offered me a cigarette. " --Rodney Dangerfield

Re: The Birds: In Real Life

There are killer pigeons where I live.
    rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band

Comment

I saw two vultures feasting over a squished squirrel right in my street. That was too gross a sight for 9:00 am.

Comment

You should park your trailer in another state park, may be?

Comment

Abbay ja. I was surprised myself to see vultures!!! I saw a falcon dive in at a flock of birds once and even get away with one of the birdies that was right outside of work which is a darn busy area.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Fatale
            Abbay ja.
            Nahaayet hee naa-maaqool zabaan kaa intikhaab kya hay aap nay

Comment

Abbay Chup!

Comment

aaaahhhh...kya yaadaiN taaza kar deeN

Comment

Originally posted by myvoice
                  ...As with my golf game, I couldn't hit a birdie.

Bravo mv, going full circle with the story, bravo.

Comment

OMG...where is Kaleem...can you people find out if he is ok? I am worried.....he lives in Houston. Hai allah, make him be ok and avoid the wrath of killer birds.

BTW, the kabooters in NYC are so friendly. I was at the Tribeca Grand grabbing a drink last night and three beautiful birds fluttered their wings about right in our faces.
                    Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

Originally posted by myvoice
                      The grackles zeroed in on a lawyer who shooed a bird away before he tripped and injured his face, Jue said. The lawyer was treated for several cuts.

mv, what were you doing in Houston?
                      “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

^
                        run internet startups into the ground?

Comment

Working...
                        X