This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are people too hung up on looks?

A friend of mine called me the other day and a girl who had applied for a job at the same place as her - she did not get the job because she apparently was lacking something in the 'looks' department.

I thought that was really ridiculous. Yeah I understand that in the work place a professional appearance is always a good idea. However, to actually base a persons abilities to work, on physical looks, what the heck is that?

There was something here about a woman being hired over a man because she would attract more people (customers) etc. Utter bs. Is there a law against that or not?

And why are people so stuck on appearances anyway?
    "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Re: Are people too hung up on looks?

Yeah..who cares what people look like...all this covering up siht is just another way to seek attention, vain gits.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7420983/
    Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

what line of work are we talking about here?
      Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Rule of thumb: Investor relations personnell working at funds should always be stunning, tall leggy supermodel types.... there is no subsitute.

Comment

none of the people in the link pd posted are remotely good looking.
          Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

Yes there are laws against any kind of discrimination. But lets get real here. If you're a computer science grad and going for a job supporting finicky users....who will you hire? Skill levels etc being equal....a beautiful person is more calming and soothing than an ugly. I could make so many more examples but I think you can imagine and get the idea. Being attractive is the most helpful, beneficial thing to have in your hat as you persue a career that has anything at all to do with people. Sad but true. If you are an intern and you are beautiful, you'll be almost hounded with helpful hints, tips and assistance from the "old-timers"....if you're not attractive, you'll be left to do the tasks assigned and otherwise ignored.

...just a dose of reality here, not really personal opinion just personal experience.

Comment

There is a law in the US - yes. Other countries not so sure.

Once apon a time young and/or pretty women would be hired and guys used to joke openly about eye candy and even felt free and confident enough to tell them their job hinged on quid pro quo. Old women were regularly laid off, if you gained weight, you would be laid off, if you got married or pregnant, you were fired. Women got together wondering how to support their families and themselves and generally got upset over this BS so they changed the laws. This was in the seventies in the US.

Feminists have one or two useful qualities going for them I guess. Might need to import one or two.
              "Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - John F. Kennedy

"Someday we gonna rise up on that wind you know
              Someday we gonna dance with those lions
              Someday we gonna break free from these chains and keep on flyin'" - flipsyde

Comment

Originally posted by ravage
                none of the people in the link pd posted are remotely good looking.
                Let me guess..you like books with large pop up pictures rather than just words, right munnay?

Comment

queer - human resources etc.

I am not saying people should not take care of themselves. That they should. They should care about their appearances, their clothes etc in order to look good. Why not? I mean yeah it would also give them confidence etc. However, if a person has a really huge nose or something, and dont get hired, what bs is that?

mamaof3 -- I have a hard time getting used to that. I mean isnt it really pathetic. And I know it is true in a lot of places.

I think its unfair to all those people who are seen as not so attractive. I mean thats like holding it against them how they were born. Hows it their fault?
                  Last edited by Muslim_Queen; May 18, 2005, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Let's face it: We all want the HR lady to be hot and well-endowed. How else we'd get the nerve or even the interest to ask what benefits come with the job?

Comment

^ gadha.. haha

Comment

human resources etc? are we clubbing hooters waitresses under HR now?
                        Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Guys who go in to stare at the "well-endowed" need one of those smart-ass HR ladies.

queer - you are. I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by queer
                            human resources etc? are we clubbing hooters waitresses under HR now?
                            Two words for you Q...MOONA PIE

Comment

Lolol
                              Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X