Bizarre: The Girl who Won't Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre: The Girl who Won't Age

This is so wierd. Somewhere in this little girl may be the secret of the fountain of youth.

[thumb=H]agelessgirl7547_8407130.JPG[/thumb]

BALTIMORE -- Imagine being frozen in time as a baby forever. It sounds impossible, but it describes Brooke Greenberg.

The Baltimore-area girl may look like a baby, but she's nearly a teenager. In most respects, Brooke looks and acts like your average 6-month-old baby -- she weighs 13 pounds and she is 27 inches long.

Brooke Greenberg, 12, weighs 13 pounds and is 27 inches long.
    But Brooke is actually 12 years old, reported WBAL-TV in Baltimore.

Brooke doesn't age. Her syndrome remains undiagnosed and unnamed, and as far as doctors can tell, she is the only one in the world who has it.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...25/detail.html
    Last edited by myvoice; May 13, 2005, 03:01 PM.
    "I met the surgeon general - he offered me a cigarette. " --Rodney Dangerfield

Re: Bizarre: The Girl who Won't Age

:freaky:

Comment

>> Her syndrome remains undiagnosed and unnamed, and as far as doctors can tell, she is the only one in the world who has it.<<

they need to pay gup cafe a visit..
      Simple ain't easy.

Comment

why didn't u post the whole thing myvoice?

heres the rest of the article:
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Dr. Laurence Pakula has been Brooke's pediatrician since she was born.

"In height, weight, she's 6 to 12 months," Pakula said. "If you ask any physician who knows nothing about her, the response is that she is maybe a handicapped 2-year-old."

Doctors say Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.

Her body may not be aging, but Brooke's health is deteriorating. She is fed through a tube, and she's had strokes, seizures, ulcers, severe respiratory problems and a tumor the size of a lemon.

The four times Brooke has come dangerously close to death, she bounced back and no one knows why.

Pakula points out that the girl has a strong sense of self and of sibling rivalry. Brooke has no language skills, but she does have enough motor skills to pull herself up in her crib or scoot across the kitchen floor.

Pakula said Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.

"When one sees how much she has accomplished, it's a wonderful reminder that even for someone who's limited, it's a wonderful world out there," Pakula said.

As genetic research expands, scientists might be able to learn the secrets of this little girl. But until then, it is Brooke who is doing the teaching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fountain of youth, i doubt it...given what she has to suffer through...

God bless her...

Comment

Originally posted by DeSiMuNdA
          Didn't want to post a long article since I posted the link.

I agree...God bless this poor little girl. The scientifically interesting thing though is to try to discover the gene or chemical or whatever that prevents the aging process. Out of all the billions upon billions of human beings ever born, this is apparently the only person known to science that has ever been this way. In 12 years, this person has not from outward appearances aged a single day. Remarkable.

Comment

Cute, reminds me of Peter Pan.

What's wrong with her eyes? Why are they unusually dark?

Comment

Originally posted by DeSiMuNdA

heres the rest of the article:
              Dr. Laurence Pakula has been Brooke's pediatrician since she was born.

"In height, weight, she's 6 to 12 months," Pakula said. "If you ask any physician who knows nothing about her, the response is that she is maybe a handicapped 2-year-old."

Doctors say Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.

Her body may not be aging, but Brooke's health is deteriorating. She is fed through a tube, and she's had strokes, seizures, ulcers, severe respiratory problems and a tumor the size of a lemon.

The four times Brooke has come dangerously close to death, she bounced back and no one knows why.

Pakula points out that the girl has a strong sense of self and of sibling rivalry. Brooke has no language skills, but she does have enough motor skills to pull herself up in her crib or scoot across the kitchen floor.

Pakula said Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.

"When one sees how much she has accomplished, it's a wonderful reminder that even for someone who's limited, it's a wonderful world out there," Pakula said.

As genetic research expands, scientists might be able to learn the secrets of this little girl. But until then, it is Brooke who is doing the teaching.

fountain of youth, i doubt it...given what she has to suffer through...
              That's sad.

God bless her...
              Ameen.

Comment

How come it took 12 years for this to get known?

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Fatale
                  How come it took 12 years for this to get known?
                  I'm sure it must have been reported on before. But few people might ever hear about stories like this unless they know some old guy who endlessly peruses news sites on the Internet for the perverted, bizarre and strange so that he can share them with his online buddies and buddettes.

Comment

So you know an old guy who endlessly peruses news sites on the Internet for the perverted, bizarre and strange so that he can share them with his online buddies and buddettes?

Comment

lol @ myvoice

BTW, you missed the exploding apple story
                      "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

bless her! this is so sad
                        It must be awful for her and her family going through what they are...but maybes worse so that her syndrome has no name or diagnosis
                        I understand, I just don't care.

Comment

An EXPLODING APPLE???

It must have exploded before not after someone ate it. If it exploded after it was in the tummy, I KNOW I would have come across the story.

Comment

Originally posted by queer
                            >> Her syndrome remains undiagnosed and unnamed, and as far as doctors can tell, she is the only one in the world who has it.<<

they need to pay gup cafe a visit..
                            queer, to be fair report says she "looks like a child" not "sounds like a child".:-)

Comment

I never came across anything like this. Quite amazing and disturbing!

I see no scientific explanaitions for this!
                              My God is none of your business...

Comment

Working...
                              X