Third World Countries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third World Countries

I'm curious about this "Third World Countries" concept.

Where & how it came from?

Why do we call some countries Third World Countries?

Developed & non-developed countries does make a sense but ... ???

Does anybody have any ideas?

I think the western world holds a comparison view in term of economics/finance thus this view emerges, not realising these countries do not have the capital to set up industries due to the fact that they are paying high debts back to the west.
    vicsious circle my friend

Comment

The "Third World" term is more of an used during the older times.

know how in the old days, the people in North America & Europe separated the Upper class, middle class, and lower class? It's from there. I think they just categorized the best class as First class, and 2nd, etc.

right?

------------------
      i'm broke even though i sold secret fantasies

Comment

Fusaichi,

To ans your question as briefly as possible, the concept of "Third World Countries" has nothing to do with any grand scheme of Western bias, prejudice or hidden agenda.

Rather, as defined by the Library of Congress and most International Law/socio-political sources/dictionaries, the term is used to describe "Geographic" boundaries.

Also, the terms "Developed & non-developed" referred by you, are used interchangeably with "Developed & Third World Regions".

Again just "terms of art" - based on various "complicated/detailed" factors but not used in a "derogatory" sense.

The below definition was the simplest and shortest that I could find and type, laugh! Hope you find it of interest.

["Third world - Those less powerful, less influential non-Western governments of usually colored peoples who have experienced colonialization, are ex-colonized, or have experienced modern capitalism as a form of imperialism, i.e., those countries whose cultures have been disrupted by industrialization and expropriation of their natural resources with little or no concern by the capitalists about the disruption, oppression, and exploitation of the people or just compensation for their labor or natural resources.

The third world includes those countries of Central and South America, Africa, and Asia as well as national minorities within the United States - the African Americans, Native Americans, Mexican Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Orientals - who have experienced modern capitalism as a form of imperialism.

The first world refers to Western capitalistic countries of America and Western Europe.

The second world referred to the Soviet Union and its block of countries."]

[This message has been edited by Dehatan (edited March 21, 2000).]

Comment

wow!

Comment

Nice explaination Dehatan.

Based on the definition you provided, couple of other questions:

1. Since Soviet Union & its communist block doesn't exist anymore, what does 2nd world refer to now?

2. What a country has to do in order to elevate from the third world status to the first world?
            Is Japan a first world country although the third world definition fits perfectly on it?

Kohal:
            Not sure but at this point I've got to agree partially with you as this CLASSification does sound like Brit mentality.

Comment

The term has been around only since the end of the WWII. The industrialized nations of the west, with higher per capita incomes were considered First World (actually never by “First” but always by “Industrialized”). The Second World being the countries that allied themselves with the communists, mainly all of Eastern European nations, with somewhat industrial base, but centralized control of the economy. Third World was being the less developed nations with poor industrial base and little per capital income. But that has all changed since the collapse of the communism. Now there are only 3 main categories, 1) Advanced (or Developed) Nations, 2) NIDC (Newly Industrialized Developing Nations) and 3) LDCs (Less Developed Countries). The debate is still very hot as to what defines “development”.

A very famous Pakistani Economist, Late Dr. Mahbool-ul-Huq, came up with “social development indicator” to measure development. His SDI is now widely used to find out how developed a country is. Among some of the attributes that go into that indicator are “freedom”, “education”, “healthcare”, which were missing from the earlier definitions of the development.

Comment

Lately I've heard propole calling it "the two-thirds world" because that's where two thirds of humanity lives.. kinda nice, no?

Comment

Working...
                X