Happy Holi.. be budtameez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Holi.. be budtameez

Lemme introduce a kafir festival to blokes who have not seen it in Indian movies.
    It should give a lot of ammunition to people who talk about Hindu practices. I am surprised that it did not come to their notice.
    Day before yesterday was holi. Sitting in pardes, I celebrated holi by remembering my holis back in India. There in Delhi, Jaswant Singh grabbed a chance of playing Holi with Chelesa and Clinton's mother-in-law. according to him they enjoyed it. i bet jaswant did. chelesa gave one line message to reporters standing outside to know what Jaswant was upto. 'happy holi' she said and giggled.
    You throw color, mud, abuses, gulal on everyone u know or do not know. Stand at strategic locations like top of building and use innovative methods of attack.
    Then you eat or drink bhang which good people dont. but some do.
    I remember my uncle came home after the session and nobody at home was aware that he drunk bhang. He went to sleep ad suddenly started laughing, then slept and laughed so my mom went to see what is happening. He told us that he is going to die soon and blessed me to study well. We didnt know what to do. He elaborated that his job in current life is over and he does not want to live any longer. My grandma came. She hit him on head and gve himn a few medicines from her stock. MY uncle vomitted and survived long after that.

I remember watching Holli in a lot of Indian movies *rang bharsay bhaigay chunnal wali, ran bharsay... * Cool song.

Holli looks a lot of fun to me. I wish I could participate in one myself. I won't want to miss the bhang part either

Back in Pakistan, we these bhang walay pakoray. You gotta try those. They freakin' put bhang leaves like they put mathi in pakoras, and man that's one hell of a 'appetizer'.

Usually they try to make the 'victim' of bhang eat achar or lemon or both to get it out of the system. I personally think it does not have any effect. They only way to get rid of it if you vomit on time, before it dissolves fully in your system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rang is washable, it does not leave any smear or specks after washing the cloths, right?

Comment

traditional color from certain flowers is washable. modern ones aren't.
      there is not much choice in playing it either. friends will drag you in. in fact, if nobody drags u are asks u to get in the game, u feel a bit sorry.

Comment

I personally hate playing holi. I have never played for the last 8 to 10 years. I have nothing against people playing, but if people donot want to join in the "fun", then they should be spared. It has become a nuisance specially for people who have to go to their offices and donot appreciate being splashed in color. It also becomes a reason for hooligans to harrass girls (so much for our tradition of "respect for women"). I think they should make it a criminal offence if people are splashed with color forcibly !!!

Comment

Originally posted by BombayKid:
          ... It has become a nuisance specially for people who have to go to their offices and donot appreciate being splashed in color....
          They don't have Holli as a national holiday in India?

Comment

ZZ...HAPPY HOLI...

Comment

Holi Mubarak

How do you celebrate holi in pardes?

Hey Rakhi (it’s called rakhi na?) kab hai?

One more Q…Holi kion celebrate kerte haiN, I mean is it a religious or cultural festival?

Comment

No its not a holiday -- at least not in Maharashtra. I donot know about the northern states though, where it is the most popular.

Comment

Roman, let’s plan on going to India, we will be ZZ’s guests for Holli 2002.

I also love Bhang Walay Pakoray. They are excellent. Have you ever tried Bhang Walay PapaR (also called USA) they sell them in Lawrence Gardens.

I remember having some Bhang when I was in college and the Nash’aa lasted for about 72 hours. The thing that I remember is that my manjee (char pai, or bed) was spinning around and I couldn’t hold it steady. I also remember trying to open the Tootee (faucet) on the wall to drink some water, except that there was no Tootee to be found on the wall. Bhang opens all your imaginatory senses.

Comment

ZZ what would be the appropriate wish in hindi.. happy holi in english, I could say holi mobarek, but is that the usual way to greet?

btw...I went to holi in philly with my pals k****ij and bharat, k****ij was a total clown and took a super soaker with him. needless to say he had a blast (so did people who came in his way) but then some uncles got upset and told him to put it away.

But hmmm maybe u can do it at next holi?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Ahmadi yar sounds like a good plan!

I have tried those Lawrence/Jinnah Garden pappar many times but somehow never got the 'hang' of it. I think many of them are just 'fake'. Once in a while, I used to go to Madho Lall Hussain mazar for the real ghotta. Every tried it there?

Comment

Frauds,

i think the usual way of holi greetings is a war whoop of "holi hoi" along with a spray of gulal.

Holi's real fun if you are not the fussy kind. holi celebrations at my hostel get real physical - if our first year, we were made to "swim" in a pool of color prepared on the corridor by our bossy seniors. everyone's T-shirts get torn off, a few unlucky guys get to perform an almost-nanga-naach. war between various wings in the hostel occur, people raid each other's wings carrying bucketloads of color, the vanquished leave in shame with color all over their anatomy. the so called non-permanent colors remain for 3-4 days on the skin, especially the shades of red, usually clothes can only be thrown away(i.e. if they survived the ordeal). the permanent colors stay for weeks!
                        Simple ain't easy.

Comment

There's this cousin sister of mine who got hurt in Mumbai when someone from a building threw a water balloon at her while she was off to work. It seems there was a stone inside the balloon and it hit her shoulder hard. The shoulder is swolen and it might take a couple of days to heal. Now this is nothing new...what I am astonished about is why doesn't anyone speak about it in India. We also heard of stories last year of someone loosing his eye in a similar incident. It needs to be controlled guys !!

[This message has been edited by BombayKid (edited March 23, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BombayKid (edited March 23, 2000).]

Comment

Guys, enjoy the day and post some pics of the occassion. Could you tell me more about the origins of the festival. I have only been to one holi and was not really told the history behind it, but had a grand time.

I have been to Deewali (or dipa-wali as some call it) many times and learnt the history and background of it.

Queer, I hope u dont wind up being one of those guys who get their clothes ripped.
                            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
                            X