Census2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Census2000

Anybody filled out the Census2000 form yet? I received it today and filled it out. One of the items in the form is about race. Instead of common listing of 5 or 6 races, the list was pretty narrowed down with enteries like Chinese, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese, Japanese etc. They even had few ‘odd balls’ like Guamanian or Chamorro and Samoan.

For other Asian races, there were only two entries: Asian Indian and Other Asian. If you check Other Asian then there is space to print that Other Asian race. I entered Pakistani.

I looked at the race part and thought for a moment. My first reaction was that from pure ethnic perspective, I fall into Asian Indian category since I was born in Pakistan (let’s not get into Arab/Persian invaders here). But then I thought about it a little and came to the conclusion that in the context of the form, my race is not Asian Indian. If the form enlists China and Vietnam as two separate racial entities then what’s wrong with justifiably narrowing down other counteries like Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan etc into different ethnic categories as well?

Another thing I noticed was that there wasn’t any entry for Arabic race. It seems to me that they compiled the document with different perspectives in mind and one of them was probably the major existing ethnically representative groups in US. But then races like Guamanian/Chamorro and Samoan does not make much sense. I personally think that they should have given geographical division more weight in enlisting the races along with some of the specific country-wise representation like China. For example, Sub-continental, Middle eastern, South American etc.

Roman sometimes u amaze me with ur attention to details. I bet u've never read anything from punjab text book board....oh well! U have raised a good point here....there could be a couple of possibilities that I can think of...
    1) They don't wanna make life easy for FBI by identifying where and how many desi bros live in States...
    2) This form is compiled by Fibi of 'Friends' (sitcom)...she must be like hmm check on the box where it says 'white guys' or 'others'...' ;-)

ciao,
    BoSS

Comment

hahhaahahahah that thing is soo Bull****ty man...53 questions per person thats non-sense...i have decided to fill it out but only the name and number(#) of people in my household and NOTHING else will be provided...they need the # of people to determine how many representatives from each state...they dont need to know how each person lives and how they dress and where they lived 5 years ago...they dont nothing personal about no one...just that one thing that he or she exists and is living in USA!

Jaawan

------------------
      Till next time***Keep_It_Simple_Stupid***©

Comment

No way BoSS, never touched Punjab board text books. Instead used those guides and model papers. Remeber them??

Jaawan, what are you talking about? It's quite a short form. Only 8 questions in total per person. I was actually expecting more (had been through my taxes, I was kinda under the spell... IRS can definitely learn something from Bureau of Census).

Actually I find questions to be quite pertinent from a consus standpoint.

Comment

aacha aap log waisay toh mujhe smat lagtay ho maghar phir bhi soccha batah doon. agar idher illegal ho toh apnay form par nah likheen, deport ho javay ga.

Comment

DO what I did, I checked Others and wrote Punjabi In the race column.

Comment

Oh come on roman bahii its 50+ question trust me i went through the whole damn book...really hold on let me check it again...yup there MORE than 8 questions my friend...maybe you got some other VERSION of it! lol
              ANyways i ll be only giving out names and number of people in my household and you all should do the same thing....

Jaawan

------------------

Comment

Roman,
                there are two forms (for watever reasons, I don't understand). One is just one page that u mentioned, the other one is a damn whole encyclopedia kinda book of questions asking even about total # of underwears that u have had in the last 10 yrs. If u didn't get this book, u r in trouble cuz U R REQUIRED BY LAW to fill this out!!

Comment

Count me in too.

I think this form a much better designed (as Roman says) compared to other official forms and more specifically the one that was used in the Last 1990 census.

From an analytical point of view, sampling (what is being done) is “un-constitutional according to the US Law”, but the Supreme Court is not willing to hear this matter, and letting the Census Bureau go ahead with this kind of count. (It saves billions of dollar by doing this way, and is more accurate). The last census was a combination of “door to door head count” and some sampling which proved to be disastrous, and minorities were undercounted. Hopefully this count will reflect the true demographic picture and trends.

I think the form is very simple. Like Roman, I plan to check Other Asian, and specify Pakistani as my racial background (I think JohnD has gone a step further, may be he can put Tehsil Qasoor, Zila Lahore also).

The problem is with my kids, but the beauty is that one can check as many boxes as they wish. For my kids, I plan to check “White, and Other (Pakistani) and Black (our postman is African American, just in case!).

Comment

No NYA let me correct you,
                    Sangala Hill, Zila Sheikhupura.
                    I am sorry I was just joking, I also put Pakistani and put same for my kids too (AS I know my postman is an old guy and never comes out of his truck)

Comment

Working...
                    X