Hey 90's (and 80's) kids! 

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey 90's (and 80's) kids! 

What are the things of the Golden era that you miss?

If possible, please post pics. Let the nostalgia hit hard

The music, the sitcoms, and we definitely had much better cartoons. It was also a more stable time for children and families as compared to now.
    Hi Frendzz! I am a multi of a multi of a multi of a multi of a multi!

Comment

Born in the 80's, grew up in the 90's & my 20's in the 00's, and I miss everything about that era. In no particular order:
      • The clothes.
      • Music.
      • Pop culture.
      • Non-pretentious food.
      • VHS tapes.
      • Audio cassettes, mixed tapes & "pirating" songs off the radio.
      • CRT and projection TV's. Having a 32" CRT TV in your living room meant you were a certified baller.
      • Video games, consoles & arcades.
      • Theme parks.
      • Tamagotchi.
      • Walkman & subsequently the iPod.
      • Airforce 1's.
      • Skateboarding.
      • The internet and the sound of a dial-up modem.
      • Napster, Kazaa & Limewire.
      • CD burners.
      • Cordless telephones.
      • Cheap petrol.
      • Bedroom posters.
      • Michael Schumacher, Mika Hakkinen & Formula 1 under Bernie Ecclestone.
      • Mall rat culture.
      • Walkie talkies.
      • Nokia.
      • Disposable cameras.
      • 35mm film.
      • Air-cooled 911's & cars in general.
      • Ferrari 355 Berlinetta, was lucky enough to own one about 16 years ago. Best damn car I've ever owned but was a nightmare to maintain.
      • Best motoring & Japanese car culture.
      • None of the woke bullsh!t and sAfE sPaCes that exist today.
      • You were either male or female.
      • Lack of gender fluidity and pronouns.
      • Global warming.
      All that I could come up with so far, will update the list as things come to mind. But yeah, the things I'd do for another shot at the growing up in the 90's.
      "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Straw View Post
        The music, the sitcoms, and we definitely had much better cartoons. It was also a more stable time for children and families as compared to now.
        YES! These sitcoms used to have, and still do, such a 'feel good' vibe to them.

763.jpg

619IsVVrSBL._AC_SY500_.jpg [email protected]@._V1_.jpg [email protected]_V1_.jpg images (11).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post
        Born in the 80's, grew up in the 90's & my 20's in the 00's, and I miss everything about that era. In no particular order:
        • The clothes.
        • Music.
        • Pop culture.
        • Non-pretentious food.
        • VHS tapes.
        • Audio cassettes, mixed tapes & "pirating" songs off the radio.
        • CRT and projection TV's. Having a 32" CRT TV in your living room meant you were a certified baller.
        • Video games, consoles & arcades.
        • Theme parks.
        • Tamagotchi.
        • Walkman & subsequently the iPod.
        • Airforce 1's.
        • Skateboarding.
        • The internet and the sound of a dial-up modem.
        • Napster, Kazaa & Limewire.
        • CD burners.
        • Cordless telephones.
        • Cheap petrol.
        • Bedroom posters.
        • Michael Schumacher, Mika Hakkinen & Formula 1 under Bernie Ecclestone.
        • Mall rat culture.
        • Walkie talkies.
        • Nokia.
        • Disposable cameras.
        • 35mm film.
        • Air-cooled 911's & cars in general.
        • Ferrari 355 Berlinetta, was lucky enough to own one about 16 years ago. Best damn car I've ever owned but was a nightmare to maintain.
        • Best motoring & Japanese car culture.
        • None of the woke bullsh!t and sAfE sPaCes that exist today.
        • You were either male or female.
        • Lack of gender fluidity and pronouns.
        • Global warming.
        All that I could come up with so far, will update the list as things come to mind. But yeah, the things I'd do for another shot at the growing up in the 90's.
        Agree with the societal aspects. Woke culture is indeed a cancer that is ruining many things, on both macros and micro level.

All the other things you mention, can vividly see them. Has indeed so much more charm than current times.

Comment

I feel that 80s and 90s kids read more books. Like kids and adolescents going to a library or curling up with a book was actually a thing, it wasn't an uncommon sight. As a kid you understood the concept of "alphabetical order" because that's what you used to locate books from the shelves or to look up a word in the dictionary. Due to technology, young kids lack that skill. (Alphabetical order? Huh? WTF is that?)
          Hi Frendzz! I am a multi of a multi of a multi of a multi of a multi!

Comment

• Azra Hazarah
            Azra Hazarah commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to read lots of books such as Charmed and Goosebumps. Even The Guinness World Book of records and other fiction and non-fiction books. Now almost everything is online - even newspapers.

• The Last Straw
            The Last Straw commented
            Editing a comment
            ^ I loved those Goosebump books. Still have some of them. My favorite one is A Night in Terror Tower.

It's just not as common with the school-going kids today, Azra. They are more into their tablets, cell phones, social media, TikTok, and it's showing up in their speaking and writing skills, too.
            Last edited by The Last Straw; 2 weeks ago.

unnamed (1).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Le Pakistan View Post

Agree with the societal aspects. Woke culture is indeed a cancer that is ruining many things, on both macros and micro level.
            Thanks in no small part to the internet and the culture of anonymity, giving these socially awkward and outcast people a voice. You whine for long enough and people will take notice. This is exactly what is happening right now in Canada with Bill C-16 that was unanimously passed by their parliament, which has stated "gender identity and expression" as prohibited grounds for discrimination. So, all Canadians better keep themselves updated on the latest gender pronouns making their rounds on Twitter, or face the legal consequences, including but not limited to losing their jobs, the death of their careers and lives ruined just because some mentally deranged 16 year old emo boy feels he was gender misaligned at birth.

Woke culture is going to be the end of humanity as we know it.
            "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Despite violence in Karachi was at it's peak back then and people I knew actually got shot and killed, I have lots of fond memories of those bygone years. Thanks to my elder brothers, my exposure to technology was far greater than most people back then. I miss attending computer exhibitions, reading PC Mag, watching natural photos on a computer screen for the first time, using CDs, DVDs and LDs, using the internet, etc. I know mIRC chat is still around, but it was a craze back in the 90s.

I also miss when my whole family used to gather around a TV and VCR to watch some movie, or when my whole family would sleep in the same room that had an air conditioner.

I was never into reading books. I used to read the newspaper quite extensively though. Since the situation back then was quite bad in the city, we used to get newspapers published twice every day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. Despite my dislike for reading books, I remember reading one Urdu novel and its name was ‘Khaufnaak Aankhain’. It was about kidnapping and smuggling.

I was listening to a podcast recently and the host mentioned how our generation was the last generation which experienced rationing in so many aspects of our life. From internet usage to phone usage. From the number of pictures we could take, to the number of songs we could have in our personal collection. Even TV used to broadcast from 7am till mid night.

Despite having lots of fond memories of those years, I do not want time to turn back because there were too many struggles which I don’t want to repeat. Meat Loaf’s following songs capture my mood so well about that:

Comment

I used to be a bookworm, I had read hundreds of books by the time I turned 12. In my early years, I was not very social, rather shy, so found a refuge in my books, science-fiction, suspense, history, wars, no subject was off-limits. I opened up more when started living alone.

Most kids these days don’t read books. They have their gadgets and games, they don't know the joy of feeling totally and helplessly immersed and lost in a magical fantasy world, an alternative reality created by someone else just with words!

I used to write as well, short stories, poetry, just random stuff based on my imagination and inspiration borrowed from others. I hardly ever write anything now. My mother used to compare my English writing to 'heera Moti', and now my scribbles can only be read by chemists. Most kids these days are not fond of writing either.

I used to play arcade games. I used to go straight to the arcade shops after school and played Street Fighter with other kids for hours and hours, making fun of each other and enjoying the mutual banter. One day my mum found out and came looking for me. She gave me an absolute shellacking right there in front of all my friends. More than the humiliation, i was more worried about making my mum upset. I would give away all my wealth to get one final smack from her but won't happen in this life. Now kids got their xboxes, play station and other consoles and they cant be arsed to get out of their 3-D gaming chairs or VR helmets. They don't know what they are missing!

I used to watch PTV dramas too. The 8pm shows. I used to wait every week for my favourite episode to come on air. I was able to remember the names of nearly all the actors, big or small, famous or just mediocre, I knew them all. Now I don't watch any Pakistani dramas, just binge on stuff like Stranger Things and Moon Knight etc, from Netflix and Disney Plus watching multiple episodes on my couch in one sitting. I still remember the names if those old PTV actors, though I might have forgotten their faces now.

There lots and lots of things that I enjoyed in the 90s, so many that writing them down will need take some time, but many of them have turned into mere wistful reminiscences sadly.
                Doctor, 17+ countries, surfer, hiker, skier and yoga fan… get the picture?

Comment

• Azra Hazarah
                  Azra Hazarah commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I used to really enjoy playing Street Fighter too. You also unlocked a memory. Every Sunday night Zee Horror Show by the Ramsey brothers used to have me spooked

the Pakistani pop music banging in 90s. Anyone remember the name of program used to air on STN(NTM) with different bands songs? Its just not coming up in mind.

but yea those bands were some good talent.

A quick yt lookup gets some of it though

Attitude is more important than facts.
                "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

^^^ OMG, I loved 90s pop music ! Name of the program was Video Junction (VJ) and was later renamed to Music Channel Charts (MCC).

So many awesome bands and singers were born due to that ONE program on STN: Junoon, Strings, Awaz, Sequencers, Fakhr-e-Alam, Hadiqa Kiyani, Fareeha Parvaiz, Fuzon, Doctor Aur Billa, and many many more.

I used to like the songs but the skits and comedy by Faisal Quraishi's team b/w the songs was far more entertaining.

Comment

• SID_NY
                    SID_NY commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yessss, i was recalling it as DJ or something but it was VJ. And yea Dr. aur billa was just awesome. I remember they had a character named "Ashraf" they used to base their theme on. And it was HI-larious

• SID_NY
                    SID_NY commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just saw the video you posted and there is ashraf in there too hahah..

mIRC or IRC in general and bot wars on channel with lots of ego trips.

The founding father of GS was a bot-owner back in the days along with yours truly on a channel named pakistan where we used to fend off from the warring factions

We are all in the same game, just different levels
                  Dealing with the same hell, just different devils

Comment

Damn those heavy TVs

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/287255012_10160977670024879_5572031988893660206_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=6IvEb_wmjM8AX8Zm7Ac&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=00_AT_VkpAXESqJtuOZC_mvIDu8EPjQHRQkWPxsBROGhwLjcQ&oe=62B5CC58
                    Attitude is more important than facts.
                    "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Hahaha.

And that was the least of our worries. Finding the right channel frequencies again used to be such a pain. Kabhi kabaar channels hi urh jatay the.

Comment

Working...
                      X