Major events that took place on this site in the last decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a7mado View Post

NYAhmedi, Mr. Xtreme, Roman and Mr. Fraudia were posting well into the 00's. I remember reading their interactions, but by that point they were past controversies and were around just for the sake of being here.

I was somewhat part of the Cafe crowd, even though I was moderating the G&A forum, but we all know that G&A was dead on arrival, even though Teggy tried his hardest to make it work, but as you put it, Cafe ruled the site.

I guess, I wasn't around when all of that happened. Mind going into further detail?
    Did you happen to have a different name back then? By the time teggy was in charge, pretty much any post of controversy from that crew was surgically removed within seconds.

Regarding the "revolt", i dont really know much and this might be completely wrong - someone named anwarqureshi aka gadha that had morphed from jovial cafe clown to strict mullah tried to start his own forum and funnel away the cafe crew there, after getting offended by GS' "liberal standards". For a few days cafe was missing its smiley sprinklers, but they came back more or less.

I think GS' trend over the last 20 odd years reflects the general evolution of internet use - in the late 90s, it was only the privileged few that had access - and they were usually older folks in white-collar jobs. Then came its widespread use on campuses and homes. Kids took to it readily. And finally the juggernaut of desi shadis rolled all over it.

And with real social media getting popular and stealing all the eyeballs, GS-style bulletin boards have probably become outdated.
    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Prince View Post
      In my opinion the decline of the forum was bound to happen because of lack of adaption to modern technology, but it is also a fact that clash of egos followed by world wars caused the decline to happen much earlier than expected. The biggest fight that i have seen so far that dented the forum heavily was between Shak (director) and Molla Jatt . Shak was backed by bunch of ultra neo secular feminists like reha, khattichik, sweetif, deeba, S08, TLK and many others, and all these guys happened to be mods lol. And so an ethnic cleansing of the opposite group happened and many were banned from right left middle under the command of brigadier TLK. I do think this was one of the factors that played a role in the brisk death of the forum.
      ^^^Interesting stuff. I don't recognize any of the nicks you mentioned except Reha. I remember the thread that most likely led to her quitting.

Comment

In my opinion the decline of the forum was bound to happen because of lack of adaption to modern technology
      Forums were never meant for this world anyways. Most forums have dried up in the last decade. A lot of forum goers have migrated to Reddit.

but it is also a fact that clash of egos followed by world wars caused the decline to happen much earlier than expected. The biggest fight that i have seen so far that dented the forum heavily was between Shak (director) and Molla Jatt . Shak was backed by bunch of ultra neo secular feminists like reha, khattichik, sweetif, deeba, S08, TLK and many others, and all these guys happened to be mods lol. And so an ethnic cleansing of the opposite group happened and many were banned from right left middle under the command of brigadier TLK. I do think this was one of the factors that played a role in the brisk death of the forum.
      Strange. I have nothing but positive things to say about all those people that you've mentioned. But I guess I wasn't that involved in the politics of it all back then. Was just another member of café crowd.

Either way, thanks for the low-down.
      Last edited by a7mado; 4 weeks ago.
      "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by queer View Post

Did you happen to have a different name back then? By the time teggy was in charge, pretty much any post of controversy from that crew was surgically removed within seconds.
        Yup, I went by the name of AhmedNSX back then, but due to constantly having to explain what the NSX in my name stood for, I decided to go for a less conspicuous looking name. In fact I vaguely remember you being one of the first people that asked me about it.

I moderated G&A between '08 to about '10, I'd say. I think it was Hareem that was given the task once I had left, I'm not quite sure.

Regarding the "revolt", i dont really know much and this might be completely wrong - someone named anwarqureshi aka gadha that had morphed from jovial cafe clown to strict mullah tried to start his own forum and funnel away the cafe crew there, after getting offended by GS' "liberal standards". For a few days cafe was missing its smiley sprinklers, but they came back more or less.
        LOL, I find that to be hilarious, considering that GS was anything but liberal back then. I'm guessing the site has been shut down since then?

I think GS' trend over the last 20 odd years reflects the general evolution of internet use - in the late 90s, it was only the privileged few that had access - and they were usually older folks in white-collar jobs. Then came its widespread use on campuses and homes. Kids took to it readily. And finally the juggernaut of desi shadis rolled all over it.

And with real social media getting popular and stealing all the eyeballs, GS-style bulletin boards have probably become outdated.
        Couldn't have said it better.
        "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post

^^^Interesting stuff. I don't recognize any of the nicks you mentioned except Reha. I remember the thread that most likely led to her quitting.
          Lemme guess, it had something to do with Life1?

Comment

While we are at it, let me share my normal GS poster experience.

When I had joined like many others I was more of a silent reader. It was quite an activity and lots going on, so much that it was hard to even catchup. Specially between 2007 to 2009. Honestly most of it was what later termed as "off-topic" comments but that was of the essence since one thing lead to another and the threads go on and on.

But what I noticed was that there were many small groups who used to support each other and try offending other groups. Not one, two or three.. literally many groups. So many that i could get a sense of grouping but could never understand who belongs to which one.

And then like many others I took a break for few years and then came back in 2013 (i think). Ok, now here what I saw was quite different from my last experience. Even though there were many familiar names around but what used to be "many" groups earlier, were left with only two groups. One, the admins. Second, the rest.

So something happened during my break between 2009 to 2012-13 that probably led many to leave except few.
            And here is my guess about what happened. The many groups that I referred to earlier, one of them was handpicked and given the admin job and the others didnt like that. Some left while others still stayed but acted as the "opposition" group.

So something I missed but definitely the other group had a lot of hatred for admins group. That admin group was often referred as "aunties" i think originated by Ethan Hunt as i often saw him referencing that. Mostly because a lots of decisions were made on personal liking and disliking.

If you are looking for a event, what i can say is that apart from what I must have missed, the wholesome banning turned people off. I remember in 2014 the chat was still there but hardly few to chat and all they used to talk about was their frustration on banning etc. I'll see if i can add anything further to this post later
            Attitude is more important than facts.
            "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

I dont know if this was last decade but the forums have undergone several rounds of metamorphosis. First was the era of NYAhmedi - the guy was a gem. Notable guppies of this era include Mr. Xtreme, Roman, ChanMahi, Matsui, Mr. Fraudia. There were some controversial discussions daily, was interesting. The age group was skewed higher.

Then came the cafe crowd - a lot of teens and early 20s. Mixed bunch, lots of action on the forums, the times of confused, gadha, phatima1, several others who no one remembers thankfully. Later several of the cafe crew turned puritanical and staged some moral revolts against GS's liberal ways, one or two tried starting their own forums and stealing guppies. Didnt really work out for them.

Last stage was the era of marriage/relationship forum. Tons of nubile women showed up from god knows where posting about ghararas and what not. Pre, wedding, post pictures, discussions. Lasted a couple of years. Ended abruptly. No idea what happened, probably all had kids and got busy.

And now we have the era of people returning in onesie twosies and trying to remember names.
              This is pretty accurate. I only kept to the showbiz threads but I joined when the Shaadi threads were in full swing and tailors were on here offering cheap copies of designer lenghas. I think most of these ladies had moved to facebook and are now probably posting throwbacks on instagram.

My highlight was seeing Pakistani showbiz personalities show up with varying outcomes...
              Director Mehreen Jabbar briefly interacted with us and seemed cool.
              Raju Jamil (senior actor) would reminisce about the golden age of Pakistani tv. He writes articles for Dawn now.
              The obnoxious Mubashir Luqman got chased off the forums when his film flopped badly after pontificating that it would transform Pakistani cinema. The amount of chitrol he received at the time
              Last edited by KraziM3; 3 weeks ago.
              "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”-Jalal-ud Din Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post

Lemme guess, it had something to do with Life1?
                I don’t remember what the thread was exactly about or who started it. It had something to do with prospects of a second marriage after divorce. I tried finding that thread but couldn’t, but even if I would've found it, it wouldn’t make sense now because many posts were deleted at the time.

Comment

Hazrat Queer Los Angelesvi (R. A) assessment on what happened here is right on the money.

Ill add my assessment a bit later when I have more time, right now im netflixing and being famous on instagram
                  We are all in the same game, just different levels•
                  Dealing with the same hell, just different devils•

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                    While we are at it, let me share my normal GS poster experience.

When I had joined like many others I was more of a silent reader. It was quite an activity and lots going on, so much that it was hard to even catchup. Specially between 2007 to 2009. Honestly most of it was what later termed as "off-topic" comments but that was of the essence since one thing lead to another and the threads go on and on.

But what I noticed was that there were many small groups who used to support each other and try offending other groups. Not one, two or three.. literally many groups. So many that i could get a sense of grouping but could never understand who belongs to which one.

And then like many others I took a break for few years and then came back in 2013 (i think). Ok, now here what I saw was quite different from my last experience. Even though there were many familiar names around but what used to be "many" groups earlier, were left with only two groups. One, the admins. Second, the rest.

So something happened during my break between 2009 to 2012-13 that probably led many to leave except few.
                    And here is my guess about what happened. The many groups that I referred to earlier, one of them was handpicked and given the admin job and the others didnt like that. Some left while others still stayed but acted as the "opposition" group.

So something I missed but definitely the other group had a lot of hatred for admins group. That admin group was often referred as "aunties" i think originated by Ethan Hunt as i often saw him referencing that. Mostly because a lots of decisions were made on personal liking and disliking.

If you are looking for a event, what i can say is that apart from what I must have missed, the wholesome banning turned people off. I remember in 2014 the chat was still there but hardly few to chat and all they used to talk about was their frustration on banning etc. I'll see if i can add anything further to this post later
                    One of the reasons why I took a break from GS was that it was just too intense back then. Notifications were non-stop, how the times have changed.

Comment

• SID_NY
                      SID_NY commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I remember those days i used to wonder how can someone spend this much time on GS, like they have no life or what?! lol

hanji, adhay guppies PCG ke chakkar men te baki adhay dubaiwali pe line marne aatay thay.

PCG ki hogai shadi hor dubai wali ka hogya M se aankh mattaka. Ab GS pe log sirf ultian karne aate hen

Wesay PCG ab bachay pal rai aur dubaiwali clubhouse pe lesbians ke huqooq pe bhashan deti nazar aati hen
                    My degree of sarcasm is directly related with your level of stupidity.
                    "Hamari Koi aur branch nahi hai"

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Lota View Post
                      hanji, adhay guppies PCG ke chakkar men te baki adhay dubaiwali pe line marne aatay thay.

PCG ki hogai shadi hor dubai wali ka hogya M se aankh mattaka. Ab GS pe log sirf ultian karne aate hen

Wesay PCG ab bachay pal rai aur dubaiwali clubhouse pe lesbians ke huqooq pe bhashan deti nazar aati hen
                      koe pagal hee ho ga jo PCG pe line marta ho ga...
                      People change, feelings fade, things go wrong, memories remain but life goes on.
                      I breathe deep, the fragrance of regret...

Comment

Bas aisay hi chalta raha hai kafi arsay say. Is say pehle Lois Lane aur woh Aussie chokri ke peechay saraa zamanaa tha.

Tabhi guppies ne apna rukh badal kar Red Velvet ki orr kar liya. Unfortustances, that didn't workout either.

Aisha ko pataa hai na ke practicing LGBTQ is illegal in Dubai?

Comment

Originally posted by jaan leva View Post

koe pagal hee ho ga jo PCG pe line marta ho ga...

Comment

I don't think the outdated platform is the reason. reddit is still active, an example.

it was the bannings that fked this place..but admins of the time didn't care/bother.

Marr te gaye aaN ........per Chassss aaa gai A

Comment

Working...
                            X